Studio Convertors not receiving IP addresses.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

pcameron

Studio Convertors not receiving IP addresses.

PostWed Dec 06, 2023 10:37 pm

So have 3 Studio convertors to connect to my 3 BL Studio 6k pro's and i can not get them to receive an ip address. I've tried both static and DHCP and neither work. With the static the camera's can not be found when searching for them in the camera setup app and when on DHCP it just gives me 0.0.0.0 and a subnet mask of 255.255.0.0.

The rack that the convertors are in has its on network switch connected to my main network. It assigns ip's to my mac's no problem so i don't see it being a network hardware issue. If plug them directly into the main switch still nothing.

Am I missing anything?

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Studio Convertors not receiving IP addresses.

PostThu Dec 07, 2023 2:03 am

The Ethernet port called Control on the Studio Converter is not implemented at this time. It is best to not connect any network this port. As you have found the configuration is not implemented.

Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

lwheeler

PostWed Feb 07, 2024 11:03 pm

[quote][/quote]

lmao what. Okay. Well, wish I saw that several hours ago haha.

I saw that the Camera 8.2 update does say that it provides "Improved Ethernet compatibility" to the Studio Converter. Does that mean this works now? Just kidding, I just saw that 8.2 is from September, and your response is from December. That's... misleading as all ****.

Otherwise, how do we connect to the camera via Ethernet? Do I need to first connect the camera directly to the switch, update the camera, and then reconnect to the converter?

Currently, I've given my Studio Converters their own static IPs for each of the three, and then I've given my Studio Camera Pro 4K G2 their own separate static IPs also. While the camera is connected to the Studio Converter and then the SC connected to the switch, neither device shows up. My next step is going to be to connect the cam to the switch and hope that will update the camera enough to somehow work through the converter.

The documentation I've found on this is, well, non-existent. Going to the support page and typing the product of Studio Converter just redirects to the professional cameras category, which only has three references of studio converter, including the aforementioned "improvement".

Anyone have anything useful they can provide here?

Edit: I found the part of the Camera manual that briefly documents use of the Studio Converter. I still can't get camera control to work via the converter despite having the return BNCs hooked up to my Constellation, but, I may not be doing something right in that configuration.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Feb 08, 2024 5:49 pm

I saw a follow up post this morning on this which has been removed by the poster probably because they figured it out. I wanted to offer some information about the Ethernet ports relating to the Studio Converter since it can be confusing. Probably since the original post, some functionality has been added to the newer studio cameras allowing users to add an Ethernet adapter to the USB port for the purposes of streaming and REST control of the cameras. So this may add to some confusion as to what ports do what and how they are configured. I'll try to be brief so it's not boring.

First, as stated before, the RJ-45 Port on the Studio Converter labeled "Control" remains unimplemented and should not be connected to any network. I am unable to comment on if or when this port might be enabled. It's always good to ask the question, however.

The RJ-45 connector labeled "Talkback" is balanced analog audio in and out of the talkback system intended for 3rd party 4 Wire interfaces.

The RJ-45 connector labeled "Camera" is a 10G ethernet port with PoE+ intended to be "Directly" connected to the camera. It is not configurable and should not be connected to any switch or router or there could be IP conflicts. This is a point to point connection to the Camera built in Ethernet RJ-45 connector. I want to emphasize point to point as this gets asked a lot.

Now the interesting part. With a recent firmware update, It is possible to connect a USBC Ethernet adapter to the camera adding direct streaming and REST camera control. Also, the built in Ethernet port could be used for house network connection (the camera end), for the same purposes of streaming or REST camera control. Both of these methods could be used, however there is only one streaming engine and UI to set it up. Lots of ways to do this. If you were not using the Studio Converter, the built in port could be connected to the house network. Note when connected to anything other than the Studio Converter, it is networking only. No video other than the streaming. Or if you wanted to use the studio converter and still stream from the camera, you could add an adapter to the USB and connect to your network.

Now to the configuration of the IP Addresses.

The Camera Setup utility has a section for configuring the IP address. This IP address applies to the built in RJ-45 Ethernet port on the camera when it is connected to a house network or router. This does not affect the 10G Ethernet when it is directly connected to the Studio Converter. If using this port for your network, use the Setup Utility.

In the Camera Menu: Setup->Screen 11, there is another place to configure the Ethernet ports. When a cable is connected to the built in Ethernet port, this menu applies to that port. The user may set DHCP or Fixed IP as usual. It will have no effect on the port when it is directly connected to the Studio Converter.

Now, if you connect an ethernet adapter to a USBC port, you will want to configure it's IP address accordingly. To do this, use the same Setup Menu and disconnect the cable on the built in Ethernet port. The menu will now see the USB adapter for configuration. So when a network is connected to the built in port, the menu applies to that port. When the direct port is disconnected, the menu applies to an Ethernet adapter if one is present.

This is how it works today. I can't speak about any potential changes in the future. While a bit complicated, it seems pretty flexible. Sorry about the long winded text, but I like to be as thorough as possible. I hope this helps. Feel free to PM if you are unclear about this. I only wish to be helpful.

Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

lwheeler

PostFri Feb 09, 2024 9:06 pm

Wow, thanks for the detailed reply. Yeah, I edited my post to say that I figured that part out, but it removed it for moderation again.

Okay, so sounds like I still need to go the route of using the Studio Converter because I'm sending teleprompter and program back to the camera for the displays on that pedestal, and so "network connectivity" for the camera just isn't going to be a thing unless I want to run a separate ethernet to a USB adapter, and the goal of the converter is a one-cable run anyways, so I'll just wait until some eventual update to the control port.

I don't think I technically need it to be on the network or anything if the SDI camera control from my ATEM 4 M/E Constellation 4K works, but I'm tackling that issue today. If I don't figure it out I suppose I'll pop open a new thread on that.

Thanks again for the detailed response!

Return to Live Production