ATEM MINI PRO ISO Crashes when drive is plugged in

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

VideoPierre

ATEM MINI PRO ISO Crashes when drive is plugged in

PostMon Apr 22, 2024 6:53 pm

(tried to post this in a previous topic but no one responded. I really need to solve this or else return my switcher.)

I am using ATEM Mini Pro ISO with Macbook Pro for software control.
Have two PTZs and two Macs as inputs. HDMI to Multiview. Using Streaming Bridge to output to separate projector. Everything works fine, EXCEPT

When I plug in a drive into USB C to record, the switcher locks up, all lights on switcher blink on and off, and it freezes. If I remove the USBC drive, it's fine.

I have tried using a bunch of different drives, all formatted to Exfat, nothing works. These drives are not corrupted, they work fine otherwise.

adrumsolo4u

Re: ATEM MINI PRO ISO Crashes when drive is plugged in

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 8:59 pm

What drive are you using? Did you check the recommended list of USB C drives?

• Angelbird SSD2GO PKT MK2 512GB
  • Delkin Devices Juggler 1TB
  • Delkin Devices Juggler 2TB
  • G-Technology G-DRIVE mobile SSD R-Series 512GB
  • LaCie Rugged SSD 1TB
  • Samsung Portable SSD T5 1TB
  • Samsung Portable SSD T7 500GB
  • Samsung Portable SSD T7 1TB
  • SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD 500GB
  • SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD 1TB
  • Western Digital WD My Passport SSD 500GB
  • Western Digital WD My Passport SSD 1TB
  • Wise PTS-1024 Portable SSD 1TB

I used the Mini Pro ISO to record four camera inputs to a SanDisk Extreme Portable SSD 1TB with no issues whatsoever. It was pretty great, as you get four recordings with timecode synced. :D

If your device isn't on that list, there's a chance it just doesn't meet the spec required to record five videos simultaneously to the drive (The ISO records all inputs in addition to the Program feed).

VideoPierre

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 9:20 pm

I’m using a GDrive 1TB. I used it before with an ATEM mini pro (not iso) with no issues. I’ve also tried using a Lacie rugged 1TB, same problem. I feel like it has something to do with using the Streaming Bridge, the ATEM control software, and the iso records together. Is there a known issue with using streaming bridge as well as recording?
So frustrated. I just bought this unit a couple of months ago.

adrumsolo4u

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 9:37 pm

VideoPierre wrote:I’m using a GDrive 1TB. I used it before with an ATEM mini pro (not iso) with no issues. I’ve also tried using a Lacie rugged 1TB, same problem. I feel like it has something to do with using the Streaming Bridge, the ATEM control software, and the iso records together. Is there a known issue with using streaming bridge as well as recording?
So frustrated. I just bought this unit a couple of months ago.

Is the ATEM connected to your network? You can control it using the software over ethernet instead of USB, which would help rule that out. I highly doubt it's the stream bridge, as the RTMP connection it makes to the bridge is the same as it would make to Facebook or wherever you send your stream. How long is the cable you use from the ATEM to the drive? If it's more than a few feet, that could be an issue as well.

VideoPierre

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 10:01 pm

Yes everything is connected to a network switch, ATEM, computer, and stream bridge. I’m trying to use the ISO records so there would be no way to connect the ATEM to the computer through USBC since that port is used for records. Used all different cables to connect drive, short ones, long ones, same issue. Even tried a 1TB USBC stick directly into port.

I’m a video professional and I work with all kinds of switchers (E2, Analog Way, Panasonic) as well as other Black Magic switchers like the Constellation all the time, so very familiar with the software and hardware universe. Flummoxed.

adrumsolo4u

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 10:23 pm

VideoPierre wrote:Yes everything is connected to a network switch, ATEM, computer, and stream bridge. I’m trying to use the ISO records so there would be no way to connect the ATEM to the computer through USBC since that port is used for records.

I sometimes forget that the extreme ISO version has two USB C ports, and the pro-ISO has only one.

If you did a firmware update, did you clear the startup state after? You could try that either way. I can't imagine anything else you could try doing besides RMA'ing the unit.

VideoPierre

PostTue Apr 23, 2024 11:12 pm

How do I clear the startup state? RMA the unit means returning it?

ManchesterV

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 6:02 am

Are those drives spinning hard drives?
If so try and SSD. They draw less current especially when starting up.

I'd also check the power supply for the ATEM is correctly specified.

VideoPierre

PostWed Apr 24, 2024 7:12 pm

ManchesterV wrote:Are those drives spinning hard drives?
If so try and SSD. They draw less current especially when starting up.

I'd also check the power supply for the ATEM is correctly specified.

I think you solved it, Gavin!
It seems I had mixed up the power supplies for the MiniPro ISO and the StreamingBridge. They look the same and both power the units but upon closer inspection they have different amperage. I set everything up and plugged it all in and did a test record and everything worked for now.
THANK YOU!! :D

Return to Live Production