Television Studio 4k ISO questions.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

blackrabbit88

Television Studio 4k ISO questions.

PostThu Apr 25, 2024 4:29 pm

I just recently had the ATEM Television Studio HD8 ISO purchased for a new church and straight out of the box there were a few issues with connectivity but a software update (to 9.4) fixed most of them. THe issues that are not fixed however are 1. Im not able to control any of my 3 Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Plus G2 (including tally lights) and 2. I have no lights on the T-bar and it doesn't do anything. There are no issues on movement with the bar itself but no action is performed. Is there something in the software that I can do or is it just a faulty bar?

adrumsolo4u

Re: Television Studio 4k ISO questions.

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 5:23 pm

blackrabbit88 wrote:I just recently had the ATEM Television Studio HD8 ISO purchased for a new church and straight out of the box there were a few issues with connectivity but a software update (to 9.4) fixed most of them. THe issues that are not fixed however are 1. Im not able to control any of my 3 Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Plus G2 (including tally lights) and 2. I have no lights on the T-bar and it doesn't do anything. There are no issues on movement with the bar itself but no action is performed. Is there something in the software that I can do or is it just a faulty bar?

How do you have the Cameras connected to the Switch? There's an SDI Out and an SDI in on the camera. On the switch there's SDI IN and SDI out for each camera. The camera control is sent via the SDI OUT of the switcher to the SDI IN of the 4K Plus G2. Each camera should have two SDI cables connected to it. Sorry if this is obvious, but you have to get the obvious out of the way first before exploring other possible faults.

blackrabbit88

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 6:00 pm

adrumsolo4u wrote:
blackrabbit88 wrote:I just recently had the ATEM Television Studio HD8 ISO purchased for a new church and straight out of the box there were a few issues with connectivity but a software update (to 9.4) fixed most of them. THe issues that are not fixed however are 1. Im not able to control any of my 3 Blackmagic Studio Camera 4K Plus G2 (including tally lights) and 2. I have no lights on the T-bar and it doesn't do anything. There are no issues on movement with the bar itself but no action is performed. Is there something in the software that I can do or is it just a faulty bar?

How do you have the Cameras connected to the Switch? There's an SDI Out and an SDI in on the camera. On the switch there's SDI IN and SDI out for each camera. The camera control is sent via the SDI OUT of the switcher to the SDI IN of the 4K Plus G2. Each camera should have two SDI cables connected to it. Sorry if this is obvious, but you have to get the obvious out of the way first before exploring other possible faults.

So I actually ran it HDMI from the camera into a converter and then to the controller. I have ran HDMI directly into the atem extreme and it worked but I have considered the conversion might be the problem.

adrumsolo4u

PostFri Apr 26, 2024 7:09 pm

blackrabbit88 wrote:So I actually ran it HDMI from the camera into a converter and then to the controller. I have ran HDMI directly into the atem extreme and it worked but I have considered the conversion might be the problem.

The Mini Extreme was set up to have two way traffic on the one HDMI cable. The Video came to the Mini and the Control/Tally went over the same HDMI cable to the camera. Pretty nifty. Do you have any short SDI cables lying around? you can bring the camera to the switcher and connect the two SDI cables to confirm it works. Your T-bar problem does sound odd, no idea what could cause that.

I believe the ATEM mini used some of the unused audio channels of the HDMI connection to achieve that, but don't quote me on that.

rak500

PostMon Apr 29, 2024 12:49 pm

Hi there,

The camera control with SDI ATEMs can work in several ways:
- Connecting a Program return feed from the ATEM to the SC4KPlusG2 SDI input and setting the camera ID of the camera to match the input it is connected on the ATEM (In camera menu, under "setup")
This is explained in page 11 of the Studio camera manual:
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... 4761211000
- By converting the SDI control protocol to HDMI using a Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 3G or 12G, as stated in page 33 of the Micro Converter manual:
https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... 6704010000

With HDMI ATEMs, the control information is carried over CEC from the ATEM to the camera, which means a single cable is sufficient to control camera over HDMI.

With SDI ATEMs, camera control information is carried on the ATEM Program return from the ATEM to the camera.

That is why the ATEM TV Studio HD8 and 4K8 have a dedicated output per input, this makes the wiring a bit easier and does not require a distribution amplifier to, well, distribute the Program feed to all cameras.

A single Program feed from an ATEM contains all of the information for all of the connected cameras, which is why we have to set a Camera ID on each camera, so that they can "extract" the correct information.

I hope this helps.

Return to Live Production