Pocket 6K Pro sensor resolution changing when on ATEM 1 M/E

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

BlkKnight

Pocket 6K Pro sensor resolution changing when on ATEM 1 M/E

PostMon Feb 28, 2022 7:26 pm

In our house of worship, we are using an ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K with four cameras: 2x URSA Broadcast G2 on inputs 1,2 and 2x Pocket 6K Pro on inputs 3,4 (via Micro Converter BiDi 3G for camera control). The camera ID is set correctly in each converter.

The ATEM 1 and all cameras are on the latest firmware. We are using 1080p 29.97 as our video standard.

We're experiencing a phenomenon where the Pocket 6K Pros are both changing their sensor resolutions without any direct input from us. We ensure they are both set at 6K resolution at the beginning of the service and that the picture looks correct. At some seemingly random point, they'll both change automatically to 5.7K resolution. We can see when it happens because the picture then gets letterboxed with small black bars at top and bottom.

I have not been able to track down the trigger for this resolution change. It seems random in our testing so far.

Does anyone know what might be triggering this? I didn't think the ATEM control had any effect on sensor resolution.

Thanks for any help or ideas!

BennoZ

Re: Pocket 6K Pro sensor resolution changing when on ATEM 1

PostMon Feb 28, 2022 10:43 pm

Well I know the Atem software changes the BMPCC's from ProRes to RAW. When I want to record (U)HD everytime I connect my Pockets I have to set them one by one manually to (U)HD to fit my Ursa Mini Pro's.

BlkKnight

PostWed Mar 30, 2022 5:56 pm

I have tested this further with every combination of hardware I have available to me:

- 2x Pocket 6K Pros
- AMP Extreme ISO, 1 M/E Production Studio 4K, 2 M/E Production Studio 4K
- 6x Micro Converter BiDi 3G

What I've found is the cameras do not exhibit this 6K->5.7K sensor resolution change when left on for multiple hours but disconnected, or when connected to the ATEM Mini Extreme ISO for multiple hours via fiber HDMI cabling with full camera control. That combination works as expected.

It's only when connected to the SDI ATEMs via the Micro Converter BiDi 3G that the 6K->5.7K change happens. It doesn't happen immediately. It usually takes somewhere between 30 and 45 minutes for the sudden change to occur.

I've been recording the multiview so that I can track when each camera switches over. The system will be sitting there idle with no active switching or other changes being made, and the signal from the Pocket 6K Pros will suddenly go blank and return after a few seconds at the 5.7K resolution. The cameras do not do this at the same time, so it doesn't appear to be a specific command affecting them.

At this point, I think I've reached the limits of my ability to debug further. I can't tell if it's the BiDi 3G converters or the SDI ATEMs since I need both in order to connect the Pocket 6K Pros via SDI with camera control.

I have had a support case open with Blackmagic for a month now, but so far we don't have any ideas.

sflsgd

PostTue Jun 11, 2024 3:05 pm

I have the same problem - I dont want RAW!! & I use Final Cut
please help

Return to Live Production