2 hyperdecks for synced video playback - possible?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

tijmenvdk

2 hyperdecks for synced video playback - possible?

PostSun Jun 16, 2024 1:07 pm

We are running a number of webinars with 2 video feeds going to Zoom or Teams: one showing the presenter, the other one showing PowerPoint slides. Sometimes we want to use pre-recorded segments as well, so my question: can I use 2 hyperdecks for synchronized playback?

I have been using VLC on a laptop playing 2 videos in sync, but this is quite a brittle setup that requires manual steps during live broadcast - something I try to minimize. Other software solutions exist (tried CasparCG, works but very complex and way more features than this scenario requires), but I would prefer something hardware-based. The 2 videos do not have to be in frame-perfect sync, but drift over a 30 min playtime would be considered unacceptable.

I have seen old posts where the Hyperdecks were suggested as video wall players, but there is no mention of anything like this in the manual as far as I can tell.

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

Re: 2 hyperdecks for synced video playback - possible?

PostSun Jun 16, 2024 5:14 pm

U can create 4K picture .. Playback from Hyperdeck into 12G to QUAD converter .. This will divide 4K to 4 qudrants of FULLHD pictures .. So U need just one Hyperdeck and u can have 4 SYNCed playback sources .. SYNC is frame accurate ..

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... TERAMIN-27

http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

tijmenvdk

PostMon Jun 17, 2024 8:40 am

Thanks, that is a really cool idea, I could even use an existing laptop to play the 4k video over an HDMI to 12G micro converter, giving me more flexibility in terms of codecs and such.

Still curious if this is also possible with a Hyperdeck, because that way - if I get the budget - I will have devices with more flexibility/applicability than the quad-SDI route. Any thoughts there?

eMilty

PostMon Jun 17, 2024 9:30 am

Unfortunately the documentation does not really document how this works but apparently it is suppose to work. All current Hyperdeck models have timecode in- and outputs (either XLR or BNC) and by connecting these you can sync multiple decks together. I would expect you to be able to enable or disable this feature from the menu but have only seen this for recordings and not for playback. But BMD advertises this feature on their website for playback as well to be used for e.g. signage. So it is suppose to work.

DORY_HD

PostTue Jun 18, 2024 9:30 pm

Use companion with stream deck!

tijmenvdk

PostWed Jun 19, 2024 8:35 pm

DORY_HD wrote:Use companion with stream deck!

I will use that most of the time, but I want to ensure that the 2 videos stay in sync and do not drift, especially since I will be getting the audio from only one of the 2 hyperdecks. Also, I am sometimes using other tools to manage a set and trigger actions, and do not want to rely solely on BFC.

Howard Roll

PostThu Jun 20, 2024 1:17 am

Genlock will ensure there’s no drift. Companion aside there are multiple third party apps for triggering multiple hyperdecks.

This is an oldie but a wellie. https://www.hyperdeckpanel.com/

Good Luck

stephen_neal

PostThu Jun 20, 2024 9:57 am

tijmenvdk wrote:
DORY_HD wrote:Use companion with stream deck!

I will use that most of the time, but I want to ensure that the 2 videos stay in sync and do not drift, especially since I will be getting the audio from only one of the 2 hyperdecks. Also, I am sometimes using other tools to manage a set and trigger actions, and do not want to rely solely on BFC.

If you want your two playback devices to be in-sync you'll be genlocking them (i.e. feeding them both a common reference signal - either SD analogue black and burst or HD analogue Tri-syncs) - which also means they won't drift relative to each other. (You can lock HD gear to SD B&B)

That only then leaves the requirement to start both players playback frame-accurately at the same time - which others have advised on I believe.

tijmenvdk

PostThu Jun 20, 2024 12:20 pm

Thank you very much for your extensive reply. The manual states:

The reference output on HyperDeck Studio Mini lets you connect an internally generated black
burst or tri-level sync signal to other video equipment if you want to synchronize other
equipment with your HyperDeck.

So am I correct in assuming that in this case I do not need an external sync generator? Player 1 can act as a reference source for player 2 and stay in sync, right?

stephen_neal

PostSat Jun 29, 2024 2:24 pm

tijmenvdk wrote:Thank you very much for your extensive reply. The manual states:

The reference output on HyperDeck Studio Mini lets you connect an internally generated black
burst or tri-level sync signal to other video equipment if you want to synchronize other
equipment with your HyperDeck.

So am I correct in assuming that in this case I do not need an external sync generator? Player 1 can act as a reference source for player 2 and stay in sync, right?

That would seem to be the case - you'll be genlocking one Hyperdeck to the other's internally generated, free-running, reference output.

Return to Live Production