Wireless To ATEM?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

TheSwoleNerd

Wireless To ATEM?

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 10:35 pm

I have the ATEM Extreme ISO. Is it possible to broadcast the feed to it wireslessly at all?

I use a gimbal for one cam and would love to be able to switch views as needed.

abba2566

Re: Wireless To ATEM?

PostTue Apr 13, 2021 11:19 pm

Yes, I'm not sure how advisable it is, but we've had very few issues so far using 3 Hollyland 300s with the ATEM Mini Pro ISO. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for you, or using a more pro (read much more expensive) system like something from Teradek.
(The Hollyland systems send a HDMI signal wirelessly with a theoretical unobstructed range of 300 meters. One mounts on the camera via cold shoe and is powered by a Sony NPF battery, the other goes next to the ATEM and can be powered by mains or by a battery. Technically both can be mains powered, but the kit only comes with one power adapter.
The transmitter, also has a loop out, so you could still have an external monitor hooked up to it and the receiver gives you two HDMI outputs.

A few comments:
1. With our system, there's about two frames of delay. That's not a problem for us as we're running all our cameras wirelessly and the delay is consistent between each unit, so we can just offset in the ATEM controls.
But if you were looking to mix wired cameras with a wireless one, that might be a problem for live streaming. But if you're just recording, you can just do a timecode offset on the affected camera in Resolve.

2. If you're shooting with Blackmagic cameras, then all the additional features (tally lights, camera timecode matching ISO timecode, cameras recording with ISO etc) won't work wirelessly (the footage will still come in fine, in the exact same way it would if you used any other camera brand with the ISO.)

So long as you still hit record manually on the other camera, you can still import the footage into the 'video ISO Files' folder as you normally would and then change the name to match the mp4 name (but still with the BRAW extension.)

You will also probably need to change the timecode, I usually inject our cameras with timecode from an app on my phone using the headphone jack (so they at least match and aren't too far off the time of day one in the ISO), make sure the ISO is recording first and then line the camera footage up in post and rewrite each camera's time code to match
You can then hit the footage replace button on the cut page and still get the BRAW files just fine, and the BRAW files won't have the two frames of delay. (My comment about adjusting it above is if you don't do this/ aren't using BMD cameras.)

If you use the tally system, you can get https://designshift.ca/apps/atem-tally/ which allows you to display tally lights on anything with a web browser (like a phone.) Although you do need a network set up between a computer and the ISO and it does require a computer to work.

3. The Hollyland's seem to work pretty well for us, but I don't think the quality of the footage is maybe quite as high as a direct connection and as with anything wireless, it can be subject to interference - which in this case can lead to occasional artifacting, freezing or at the worst, complete loss of connection (although the last hasn't happened to us yet, we've had a few instances of artifacting and freezing but they're not that frequent in our use case - as it's over 2.4ghz, might depend how many 2.4ghz devices are at your location.)

TheSwoleNerd

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 12:52 pm

abba2566 wrote:Yes, I'm not sure how advisable it is, but we've had very few issues so far using 3 Hollyland 300s with the ATEM Mini Pro ISO. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for you, or using a more pro (read much more expensive) system like something from Teradek.

Wow!!! I didn’t expect such a detailed answer, thank you SO MUCH! Taught me way more than I expected- I didn’t know you could offset the timecode which will help me tremendously on my current project. Again, thank you so much for your answer and I’ll look into everything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abba2566

PostWed Apr 14, 2021 1:31 pm

No worries!

I didn’t know you could offset the timecode

Yeah, it's pretty simple, right click on the clip you want to change in the media tab in Resolve.
Then clip attributes, timecode and you can add an offset there, or completely rewrite the timecode.

Tim_Partridge

PostSat Apr 17, 2021 10:56 pm

One note of caution if you are doing a live event. You might want to set up some private wifi. If you use venue wifi it might work fine in rehearsal then struggle when the audience's devices connect to the venue wifi.

Tim

Return to Live Production