Hyperdeck Studio Mini: hit and miss game with SD cards

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

ishootyou.com

Hyperdeck Studio Mini: hit and miss game with SD cards

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 4:06 pm

This is really starting to annoy me. The ATEM Mini Extreme ISO does not record reliably to any media type I tested it with so far (they are all supposed to be compatible according to BM). Now the same thing happens with the Hyperdeck Studio Mini. SIX different cards, all "compatible", properly formatted...recording stops after between 5 and 20 minutes even at the lowest quality settings.

What is going on? Can this brand be used in a professional environment?
------------------------
ishootyou.com
Teaching photography and videography in Switzerland

Mark Foster

Re: Hyperdeck Studio Mini: hit and miss game with SD cards

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 7:06 pm

cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

ishootyou.com

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 8:59 pm

Mark Foster wrote:https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=95785

Had you taken the time to read my post you would have seen that I did check the list of compatible drives beforehand. Also, the link you provided is not helpful with either of the devices I wrote about.
------------------------
ishootyou.com

Mark Foster

PostSun Apr 18, 2021 10:52 pm

sorry that was not clear for me from your entry
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

KVI@BMD

PostTue Oct 19, 2021 6:25 pm

I can concur with recording issues on the Hyperdeck Studio Mini. It screwed me royally just last week.

All I needed was a low bitrate 1080P 29.97 recording of a switched multicam production so I selected DNxHR LB MXF. The first afternoon session stopped roughly 2.5 hours into the recording. The next morning I couldn't get the the HDSM to record for an hour without stopping, randomly. Current firmware. Solid input directly from a TV Studio 4K on proven media across multiple cards.

Fortunately I had a backup recording going on my Video Assist 4K, at the same bitrate/codec, that worked without issue.

Now I have to find a reliable recorder elsewhere.

ishootyou.com

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 9:27 am

KVI@BMD wrote:I can concur with recording issues on the Hyperdeck Studio Mini. It screwed me royally just last week.

All I needed was a low bitrate 1080P 29.97 recording of a switched multicam production so I selected DNxHR LB MXF. The first afternoon session stopped roughly 2.5 hours into the recording. The next morning I couldn't get the the HDSM to record for an hour without stopping, randomly. Current firmware. Solid input directly from a TV Studio 4K on proven media across multiple cards.

Fortunately I had a backup recording going on my Video Assist 4K, at the same bitrate/codec, that worked without issue.

Now I have to find a reliable recorder elsewhere.

The more and longer we work with BM products the more it becomes obvious that there is no quality control at all. They rely too much on the fact that at their price point there aren't really any options.
------------------------
ishootyou.com

Robert Betzner

PostFri Oct 29, 2021 2:46 pm

Did you record in ProRes?

There is currently a bug in the Hyperdeck Studio HD Pro that makes recording in ProRes impossible because the Hyperdeck locks up after some time. Maybe this applies to other Hyperdecks as well.

Cheers

Robert

KVI@BMD

PostThu Nov 11, 2021 2:00 pm

There doesn't appear to be any firmware support for the Hyperdeck Studio Mini. That model isn't mentioned in the firmware upgrade notes since version 7.1.3. So, apparently, what issues these units have will forever remain an integral part of their base functionality.

I suppose I'll have to do some extended testing at the various codec/data rates to determine if there is a sweet spot of success that will allow me to regain trust in the unit.

I'll post the results. If anyone else does the same then we might establish a foundation of data to determine, across multiple units, whether or not it's possible to ensure repeatable success in recordings.

In the meantime, if a more promising recording device presents itself, I'll be moving in a different direction and likely a different OEM.

In the age of dwindling natural resources and critical environmental issues (thank you very much mankind), the production of "disposable" technology really grates on the few remaining threads of responsible stewardship that society hasn't erased from my soul through the myriad of propaganda promoting conspicuous inconsiderate consumption; and acceptance of extremely brief product life.

KVI@BMD

PostTue Nov 16, 2021 3:26 am

Three days of test recording (1080P 29.97) are pointing to an issue with the MXF variants of the available DNX recording options. The QT DNX variants tested so far have recorded without issue.

Additionally, the ProRes tests performed so far have also worked without issue.

Anyone care to chime in on their experiences?

Return to Live Production