ATEM Mini Pro ISO Record parameters.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

AldaSmth

ATEM Mini Pro ISO Record parameters.

PostMon May 17, 2021 9:45 am

Hi everyone.

I am currently looking to get an ATEM Mini Pro ISO, in order to make a live pre-edit of long interviews that I will edit more afterwards.

So I know the Pro ISO allows the recording of the 4 sources separately, but the only thing I want to know is if it is possible to record those sources in 4:2:2 10 bits, as I will want to grade it properly in post.

Thanks in advance for your answers!

Xtreemtec

Re: ATEM Mini Pro ISO Record parameters.

PostMon May 17, 2021 3:52 pm

Nope it Wont.. Only your PGM recording will be HQ. All ISO channels are lower in quality.

If you really need to grade you need to record each source separately external .. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Jim Simon

PostTue May 18, 2021 3:25 pm

The ISO models only record H.264.

I'd do the Iso recording at the camera. (Preferably using cameras that can record RAW.)
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

AldaSmth

PostWed May 19, 2021 6:32 pm

Thanks for your answers!

@Xtreemtec, so you're saying that the program recording will be 4:2:2 10 bits though?

Trevor Asquerthian

PostThu May 20, 2021 3:46 am

AldaSmth wrote:Thanks for your answers!

@Xtreemtec, so you're saying that the program recording will be 4:2:2 10 bits though?

Program record via usb connection to SSD is same H264 compression as Isos. You can record PGM HDMI output to external recorder to ProRes/DNx. You need to record Isos seperate to Atem to keep up quality.

If you use the BM pocket cinema cameras it's easy to relink in Resolve allegedly. If you use other brands/models you will need to do it manually - I posted about how I did this with F5/A7 media in PP - was totally worth using the Atem for the line cut live, even though we will end up tweaking in post.

AldaSmth

PostThu May 20, 2021 9:11 am

Trevor Asquerthian wrote:
Program record via usb connection to SSD is same H264 compression as Isos. You can record PGM HDMI output to external recorder to ProRes/DNx. You need to record Isos seperate to Atem to keep up quality.

Thank you, that's all clear un my mind now :D

was totally worth using the Atem for the line cut live, even though we will end up tweaking in post.

In that case, given I would be replacing manually the files in the project (we're not using BMPCCs), is it worth it to take the ATEM Mini Pro ISO over the ATEM Mini Pro? With the latter, I could just record the PGM, then throw it into the cut-detector of Resolve, to get back my pre-editing marks, and do some multicam work in Resolve from there, with the cameras' source files; what do you think?

Trevor Asquerthian

PostThu May 20, 2021 9:51 pm

AldaSmth wrote:

Thank you, that's all clear un my mind now :D

was totally worth using the Atem for the line cut live, even though we will end up tweaking in post.

In that case, given I would be replacing manually the files in the project (we're not using BMPCCs), is it worth it to take the ATEM Mini Pro ISO over the ATEM Mini Pro? With the latter, I could just record the PGM, then throw it into the cut-detector of Resolve, to get back my pre-editing marks, and do some multicam work in Resolve from there, with the cameras' source files; what do you think?

For me it was totally worth it - 10*45 min shows line cut as recorded

AldaSmth

PostFri May 21, 2021 7:16 pm

OK thanks a lot. Think I will try it out and adapt my workflow for it!

Return to Live Production