ATEM MIni only black or green/magenta from HDMI inputs

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

BryanH

ATEM MIni only black or green/magenta from HDMI inputs

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 5:45 pm

I have an ATEM mini with the v8.2 ATEM Software Control. I use it with either an iMac 5K or a MacBook Pro 16." Both computers are running Mac OS 10.15.4. My friend has the same ATEM mini and v8.2 ATEM Software Control combination. She uses it with a Windows machine.

Most of the time mine works on all 4 inputs. Occasionally input 1 will show an image that is only green and magenta. It is the subject matter the camera is pointed at, just translated into green/magenta at full saturation. Highlights are magenta. Shadows are green.

My friend's worked fine on all inputs for a week. Now inputs 2-4 show only black, no matter what is connected to them.

This is my second ATEM Mini. I returned the first one when it had the green/magenta issue. When purchased, it was running v8.0 of ATEM Software Control. I updated it to v8.1, which was released the day after I purchased it. The second unit worked great for several days on all inputs, then started to show the same green/magenta, but only on sources in HDMI 1. On both units, the same sources looked fine in other inputs.

I spent a considerable amount of time working with BMD tech support to verify that all of my equipment should be compatible with the ATEM mini and that my setup conforms to spec. Based on that information, I checked my friend's setup and it is also up to spec.

After upgrading to v8.2, I was able to stream 2 days of content for an online festival this past weekend with no issues from my ATEM mini on any of the HDMI inputs. This totaled over 10 hrs of active use in periods that were up to 2hrs long at a stretch. At the very end of the 2nd day, the green/magenta issue appeared again on anything plugged into HDMI 1.

Has anyone else experienced either of these issue? If so, is there a workaround/solution?

Thanks in advance.
Mac Studio
M1 Max
32GB RAM
Mac OS 13.6.1

MacBook Pro 16"
2.3Ghz 8-core i9
16GB RAM
Intel 630 1.5GB
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB

ATEM Mini
ATEM Software Control v8.2

Resolve 18.6.2 Studio

Denny Smith

Re: ATEM MIni only black or green/magenta from HDMI inputs

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 5:50 pm

What is the video source on HDMI 1?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

BryanH

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 6:10 pm

Here are the video sources I have tried and their results:

Output from a BMD Video Assist 7"

tested once in-store for about 15 minutes when I returned the first ATEM MIni. All HDMI inputs worked with no issues on the 2nd ATEM Mini running v8.0

Output from an Atomos Ninja Blade

Normal at first, then started to show green/magenta. I can consistently reproduce the green/magenta if I plug this device into Input one, but sometimes it takes a few plug/unplug cycles or on/off power cycles of the switcher to show the issue.

Output from both from my computers
OK in inputs 2-4. Sometimes green/magenta in Input 1.

Output form 2 different Canon 5D MK IV cameras (HDMI settings at 1080P 59.94 and 23.98)

Output from 2 different Canon 5D MK II cameras (just in case)

Ideally, I would like to be able to use the 5D MK IV cameras in all inputs.

My friend has tried output form a Sony FS5 and from both a Windows laptop and an older iMac. She was able to use the FS5 on all inputs reliably until she tried to plug in the computers. After that, inputs 2-4 are black, regardless of whether she plugs the FS5 or the computer into them.
Mac Studio
M1 Max
32GB RAM
Mac OS 13.6.1

MacBook Pro 16"
2.3Ghz 8-core i9
16GB RAM
Intel 630 1.5GB
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB

ATEM Mini

Resolve 18.6.2 Studio

BryanH

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 6:16 pm

My setup for the festival where the green/magenta re-appeared was:

Canon 5D MK IV #1 in HDMI 1 on the ATEM MIni

Canon 5D MK IV #2 in HDMI 2 on the ATEM MIni

USB-C out of on the ATEM MIni to MacBook Pro for streaming
Atomos Ninja Blade connected to the HDMI output on the ATEM MIni for local recording of the program

I feel like it might be one of those things where I am overlooking a little detail that sets of a quirk of the ATEM mini that I am missing until it goes into action.
Mac Studio
M1 Max
32GB RAM
Mac OS 13.6.1

MacBook Pro 16"
2.3Ghz 8-core i9
16GB RAM
Intel 630 1.5GB
AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB

ATEM Mini

Resolve 18.6.2 Studio

rboerner

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 7:37 pm

Two questions for you:

1. When the problem behavior occurs, does power cycling the Atem Mini help resolve the problem?

To put that another way, if you physically disconnect the power adapter from the Atem Mini for 30 seconds and then reconnect the power, does the behavior change?

2. When the problem behavior occurs, if you use the Atem Software Control application to temporarily change the 'Output' setting from 'Program' to 'Camera 1 Direct' and then back to 'Program' again, does the behavior change? To put that another way, if you momentarily 'toggle' the 'Output' setting to a different value and then change the 'Output' setting back to the original desired setting does that help?

I ask both questions because I was experiencing intermittent issues using my Atem Mini with my desktop setup that had similar symptoms in terms of an unexpected color 'tint' on the HDMI output (it appeared as if it was some type of YUV/RGB conversion issue).

In my case I had set the HDMI output to 'Camera 1 direct' to capture the HDMI output of my desktop system and then 'pass through' the video signal to my desktop monitor.

When the problem occurred, I found I could resolve it by either power cycling the unit or temporarily changing the 'Output' setting as described above.

I know my setup is very different than yours, however since these two items seemed to help in my specific case I thought I would make mention on the off chance they may help.

Denny Smith

PostMon Apr 13, 2020 8:42 pm

Try disconnecting the Atomos Ninja Blade, and see if the issue sill occurs?
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

bluesgeek

PostTue Jun 15, 2021 1:44 pm

Has there been any resolution of this issue.

I am having the same experience. Every camera source plugged in to input one is green and magenta. The same sources work fine in inputs 2, 3, and 4.

Power cycling and changing to direct in the software does not resolve it.

Also, is the BMD support line 408-954-0500 active? Regardless the hour of the day, it goes to voice mail without any identifying company OGM.

Thank you.

Return to Live Production