Does the new ATEM Mini Extreme dual key/fill inputs for GFX?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Alastair Leith

Does the new ATEM Mini Extreme dual key/fill inputs for GFX?

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 6:01 pm

One of the drawbacks of the ATEM mini was that they don't allow for (production quality) seperate key channel and fill channel graphic overlays, it has to be premultiplied with a colour and then keyed out in the ATEM. I want to use one but not give up mimoLive for all the custom layers I can create in Quartz Composer (in older versions of macOS admittedly ATM). If two HDMI input channels could be assigned for upstream and/or downstream keying that would be great.

codedeltajames

Re: Does the new ATEM Mini Extreme dual key/fill inputs for

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 6:08 pm

The Atem Mini and Atem Mini Extreme have the same keying capabilities as the other Atem's - you can select your key and fill sources from any of the inputs. The only downside is that it uses half your inputs for one keyer.

This is on an Atem Mini (original)

The same options are available for an upstream key in luma mode. You certainly don't need to pull a chroma key to get graphics into them.

Alastair Leith

Re: Does ATEM Mini Extreme support aux out of >1 HDMI Inputs

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 6:15 pm

Some of the rack mount ATEMs with SDI inputs support not just Program out but preview channel out via a code patching of an Aux Out,(I've never done this myself but am told it's possible). How about the ATEM mini Extreme? Tech Spec (https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/atemmini/techspecs/W-APS-17) says two outputs (well two HDMI are shown in illustration, specs say 4 outputs and 2 Aux outputs but only appears to be two video outs and the rest are audio, ethernet and USB-C).

So if not current Preview channel out, what is the second output?

Is there a way to stream to another device the recording outputs of any of the HDMI inputs in the Mini Extreme ISO? The ISO variant is designed for additional recording of all 8 channels plus program out (how it does that over USB-C I'm not sure, heavy compression and lots of GPU processing power I guess).
Last edited by Alastair Leith on Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alastair Leith

Re: Does the new ATEM Mini Extreme dual key/fill inputs for

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 6:17 pm

[quote="codedeltajames"The same options are available for an upstream key in luma mode. You certainly don't need to pull a chroma key to get graphics into them.[/quote]

Thanks James, I must have got a bum steer on that, or maybe I discounted it (and now forgotten) on account of only 4 inputs like you say.

Return to Live Production