Canon XHA1 / ATEM MINI PRO ISO

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

dwx1958

Canon XHA1 / ATEM MINI PRO ISO

PostThu Feb 18, 2021 9:47 pm

Hi
I’m a newbie so please bear with me!
I’m considering buying an Atem mini pro ISO and have spent a few hours on different forums trying to study video output signal protocols.
I have 2x Canon XHA1’s and one XHA1s.
I mainly want to produce music videos.
I have a recording studio (Pro Tools / Behringer X32) and can produce a good sound feed to the (mic 2?) input of the Atem.
My query is really about if it is possible to get 3 decent quality video feeds into the HDMI ports of the Atem from my cameras.
I gather FireWire to HDMI is not possible, so am wondering if I could use the Component out socket and a Component to HDMI Converter?
If this is possible, could anybody recommend which converter to buy?
Many Thanks
Dave

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

thestudio.church

Re: Canon XHA1 / ATEM MINI PRO ISO

PostWed Jun 23, 2021 9:24 pm

Did you get any responses elsewhere? I am looking to convert firewire 4 pin to hdmi and not having much luck.

Felix Huerlimann

PostThu Jun 24, 2021 10:08 am

Converting component video from the camera to HD-SDI and converting HD-SDI to HDMI works fine. I did it for a customer with a Canon XH-A1. The good thing is, that you can use long HD-SDI cables from the camera to the switcher.
I used the BMD analog to SDI mini converter and the SDI to HDMI micro converter.

Frank Engel

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 8:26 am

If the distance is short enough you can run component into a component -> HDMI converter/scaler; I've done this with my own XH-A1 without issue using just a cheap converter I think I must have picked up on eBay some time back. Note that you don't get true HD this way, as you are taking an SD feed from the camera and using the converter to upscale it, but it does work.

Note that while I have not tried one of these (they are all long since discontinued though you may be able to find one used somewhere?) there have in the past been devices which could convert from HDV over firewire into HD-SDI, which could then be converted to HDMI by an additional converter - these might be able to maintain more of the original resolution captured by the camera if you can find one which is compatible with the signal from the XH-A1.

Roland even made one with an HDMI output: https://proav.roland.com/global/products/vc-50hd/

Again, not sure if that one will work with the XH-A1 or not, just showing that such devices did in fact exist.

Felix Huerlimann

PostFri Jun 25, 2021 8:31 am

Note that you don't get true HD this way, as you are taking an SD feed from the camera and using the converter to upscale it, but it does work.

In the signal setup of the camera you can switch the component out to 1080i:
https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART103772

Stagedoor

PostSun Aug 29, 2021 10:47 am

Hi,

I'm having problems with this. At best, I get monochrome. I'm told the atem minis (extreme iso in my case) need 4:2:2 sampling whereas the Canon XH-A1 is 4:2:0. On the advice of Blackmagic, I tried inputs 4-8 (which they say are more tolerant of other colourspaces). This seemed to resolve the problem but not reliably.

I'm using Canon XF300/305's in inputs 1-3 which of course work fine.

Anyone had this issue or better still know how to resolve it?

Frank Engel

PostTue Aug 31, 2021 9:59 am

Stagedoor wrote:At best, I get monochrome. I'm told the atem minis (extreme iso in my case) need 4:2:2 sampling whereas the Canon XH-A1 is 4:2:0.

Does it work if you connect the HDMI output to a TV or other input?

If not, check for bad cables. Either way, if the cables are good, you may need to try a different converter.

Also be sure to distinguish composite from component - they are two different outputs on the camera and require two different types of converters. Composite sends the entire video signal on one cable (typically yellow), while component sends the three parts across three separate cables (typically green, red and blue) and will be of higher quality than composite.

Sander Vreuls

PostTue Aug 31, 2021 10:34 am

Also, the Canon probably outputs Y Pr Pb, where Y is the green connector, Pr is the Red connector and Pb is the blue connector
The converter might be expecting RGB.. What converter did you use?

Frank Engel

PostTue Aug 31, 2021 9:07 pm

Sander Vreuls wrote:Also, the Canon probably outputs Y Pr Pb, where Y is the green connector, Pr is the Red connector and Pb is the blue connector
The converter might be expecting RGB.. What converter did you use?

That wouldn't exactly add up to monochrome?

Return to Live Production