ATEM Mini Extreme ISO and Sandisk Extreme 2TB

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

henrychan

ATEM Mini Extreme ISO and Sandisk Extreme 2TB

PostSun Jul 18, 2021 6:51 pm

Particulars
ATEM Mini Extreme ISO
upgraded to 8.6.1

I was previously using the Sandisk Extreme 1TB with no issues except it didn't keep it when I had more than 4 inputs.
Upgraded to the Gen 3.2 SanDisk NVMe 2TB Extreme Portable SSD, which promises up to 1050mbs versus 540 for the Gen 3.1.

No issues with record mode, only in ISO mode it keeps stopping. Up to maybe 10 minutes.
I checked the ISO files to see if the drive has an issue keeping up. All the files are recording at 60 fps.

Any ideas.

henrychan

Re: ATEM Mini Extreme ISO and Sandisk Extreme 2TB

PostWed Jul 21, 2021 8:55 pm

No insights?

eMilty

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 11:26 am

Make sure you have the drive formatted in ExFAT format. HFS+ support still seems buggy.

henrychan

PostThu Jul 22, 2021 1:26 pm

Yes, drive was formatted as ExFat. I exhausted all my options before posting.

eMilty wrote:Make sure you have the drive formatted in ExFAT format. HFS+ support still seems buggy.

henrychan

PostSat Jul 24, 2021 5:17 pm

What 2 TB, usb gen 3.2 drives are you using to record ISO on the ATEM Mini Extreme ISO?
Even the 1 TB USB 3.2 Sandisk Extreme (model SDSSDE61-1T00-AC) has the same stoppage issue.

I'm very concern as I need assurance of recording all 8 inputs with no frame dropping. Right now, I have to limiting myself to 5 cameras.

collinshook

PostFri Nov 05, 2021 4:30 am

Im experiencing this issue as well! Using 8.6.1 for many months:

I have the internal Sandisk SSD Plus 1TB, using a Startech SATA to usb-c adapter for over 100 ISO shows with no issue. It's rated at 450, but consistently lands at 350write-400MBps read.

Purchased a gen-2, 1050MBPS Sandisk Extreme SSD 1TB a month ago, left at stock EXFAT formatting, have recorded 20+ streams/ISO recordings with no issue, and 5 days ago, during a really important livestream concert, it didn't index/name the directory, but filled the expected space in the drive (two sets of 7 cameras, each set usually 225-250gb, it showed no folder but had only 490GB remaining, so it wrote the files, but Mac Big Sur wasnt showing)

Searching forums, trying solutions, i was 2 hours away from going to a friends windows machine (which folks said the folder should appear), but did more research and downloaded Disk Drill for Mac OS, and the main folder in question immediately appeared after starting scan.

After transferring the files and backing up,I erased/formatted, ran test ISO recordings trying APFS, MacOS, and finally back to EXFAT. No matter which format, this drive, during ISO Record, makes the Atem buttons and USB outputs freeze at either 15min or 20 minutes. Atem Software control continues to count recording time, and its HMDI outputs continue to display in real time, but the USB outputs freeze (but again, can't switch cameras or stop/start recording)

After calling B.M. support, the support tech was not very accepting that I thought the Atem was the weak link, and had me install 8.6.4, but that made the issues much worse, freezing after 2 minutes (tested over 5 times), went back to 8.6.1, and it went back to the 10 or 15 minute freeze behavior.

My bootleg rig of 450MBPS SSD Plus 1TB with startech Sata->usbc is still working flawlessly.

The brand new 1050MBPS SSD Extreme 1TB is still causing the unit to freeze, and stop ISO recording (at either the 10 minute or 15 minute mark, for whatever reason its exactly either those two lengths)

Any thoughts?

Dave Toole

PostSat Nov 13, 2021 6:50 pm

We bought a ton of Samsung T7 SSDs as it was on the the BM list of recommended drives.

Constant record failures.

BM updated it's list on November 4th and removed the T7 from the list.

Considered me very frustrated over this one, a lot of money spent for nothing.

drewgandy

PostTue Feb 22, 2022 8:50 pm

Sandisk Extreme Portable V2 drives:

It seems that the V2 models use an NVMe drive internally, which is different from the architecture of the V1. The model of NVMe drive is the WD SN 550e. The 'e' model is specific to "external" usage.

The SN550 was reviewed quite favorably in 2020, in particular for its sustained raw nand write speed (after the cache is full).

Apparently, sometime in the middle of last year, WD changed the nand on the SN550 without telling anyone. There are several news articles from August of 2021 that talk about this. The new chips are QLC (changed from TLC) and apparently can't sustain the same write speed once the cache is full compared to the original chips. This might not be a problem for the average user but for recording long video files, this is dramatically important.

It's not clear to me if the SN550e was also subject to this change but I suspect it was/is.

forart.it

PostWed Jan 11, 2023 5:37 pm

We've just recorded 20min. of test 8+1x1080p@25fps (Hyperdeck-High ~47Mbps each) + 10x2 audio channels (stereo PCM ~2Mbps each) into a brand new Kingston SNV2S/2000G & ICY BOX IB-1817M-C31 (JCM583-based box).

But please note that, in any case, even if we consider 100Mbps x10 channels (= 1000Mbps, an unreachable throughput for the Extreme ISO) we obtain a peak of 125 MByte per second, which any good SATAIII SSD drive can manage.

Return to Live Production