Teranex Mini Audio to SDI converter issues with AES

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Evan Vickers

Teranex Mini Audio to SDI converter issues with AES

PostFri Nov 20, 2020 7:42 pm

We just received and installed our Teranex Mini Audio to SDI 12G converter with the goal of taking the AES3 out of our dLive console to keep a digital audio signal throughout our broadcast.

First off I didn't realize you were required to have an SDI signal coming into the device. It's listed as a Audio to SDI converter, not embedder. After trying firmware updates and such and still getting no signal I decided to try feeding it a video signal. It suddenly started working. It sounded good for the first few seconds and then there was a noticeable digital distortion coming through the signal. We would reset the connections and it would sound great at first, then the sound would come back in. I have a dropbox link below so you can hear what I mean. If we turned the input down the volume of the sound would lower to. Completely turning the signal down turned the odd sound down too.

We did a TON of troubleshooting. Tried different video sources, I disabled the audio on the source of the SDI coming into the converter, , changed AES clockrates, etc. Then we switched everything over to analog connections and the audio sounded fine. We're at a loss for what this issue might be. Did we just get a bad unit?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1grrfjj2adxm4 ... p.wav?dl=0

nocarrier

Re: Teranex Mini Audio to SDI converter issues with AES

PostWed Feb 24, 2021 7:50 pm

I have the same issue, but my setup is a bit different.

Upgrading from a Mini Converter Audio to SDI that's been working for years with the Teranex Mini (to clean up the rack install). 1080i59.94 from switcher embedding 48k AES/EBU from a TC Electronic Finalizer 96k.

With the Terenex, there are consistent audio artifacts that sound like clock drift or something. Sounds exactly like the audio linked above. Verified all switches and tried with sample rate conversion enabled and disabled (no change).

I went back to the old Mini Converter and everything sounds how it should.

I think there is an issue with these and would like to know if you ever found a solution

Evan Vickers

PostMon Jul 26, 2021 10:40 pm

No, and I have not had more time to try and work it out. It's just sitting in my rack doing nothing at the moment. We're moving in a different direction anyways.

Sorry.

rossgoldman

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 9:07 pm

I'm having the exact same issue. I've tried 2 different Teranex Mini Audio to SDI converters - from different retailers - same issue. I'm using the AES output from a Yamaha CL5. I've tried different XLR cables, with Smart Panel and without, with Sample Rate Conversion and without - same problem.

Return to Live Production