Does a camera-mounted shotgun mic work over the HDMI?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

BTRobertson721

Does a camera-mounted shotgun mic work over the HDMI?

PostFri Jul 30, 2021 7:48 pm

Hello, newcomer to livestreaming and newcomer to the Atem Mini. For the life of me I can't figure out the audio here. I under 3.5" mic ports, but why won't our Deity shotgun mic connected into the audio input on the Canon Rebel SL3 we own not porting through the HDMI to OBS? There's zero audio, and can't figure out why. If I can't use our shotgun mic this way for livestreaming, what is the solution? I have a Blue Yeti USB mic, but I have no idea how that would interface through the Atem Mini either. Would that just connect into the computer and I setup an audio source in OBS for it? That would be fine, too, but this Deity shotgun mic is quite good quality, just not sure if it's possible for it to work through the AM. Thanks in advance.

Tim_Partridge

Re: Does a camera-mounted shotgun mic work over the HDMI?

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 6:12 pm

Do you have a sound level display on your camera you can check to see if the sound is working?

The other thing, which may seem very obvious, is when you have the camera channel selected on the Atem Mini, have you pressed the ON button above that channel? Assuming it is on, press the upward pointing triangle a few times to increase the volume. I often find the volume is turned down low when I start using my ATEM.

Next thing is to check the audio section of ATEM software control and see is there is any sgn of life when you make some sound.

Regards,

Tim

BTRobertson721

Re: Does a camera-mounted shotgun mic work over the HDMI?

PostMon Aug 02, 2021 10:06 pm

Tim_Partridge wrote:Do you have a sound level display on your camera you can check to see if the sound is working?

The other thing, which may seem very obvious, is when you have the camera channel selected on the Atem Mini, have you pressed the ON button above that channel? Assuming it is on, press the upward pointing triangle a few times to increase the volume. I often find the volume is turned down low when I start using my ATEM.

Next thing is to check the audio section of ATEM software control and see is there is any sgn of life when you make some sound.

Regards,

Tim

Thanks Tim. I discovered that AFV means "Audio from Video" above the specific camera. As soon as I turned that on, bingo, I had audio perfectly. Mine was actually a little loud and echoing, so I turned it down and it sounded good. :) I guess a 185-page manual daunted me a bit, so I missed that easy fix. Thank you again.

Return to Live Production