thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author
  • Message
Offline
User avatar

kanpro

  • Posts: 13
  • Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:27 am
  • Location: 18013, Granada
  • Real Name: Víctor Aragón

thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 10:35 am

I have a laptop with Thunderbolt 2 and UltraStudio Express with Thunderbolt 2.

Now, laptops come with USB-C Thunderbolt 3 or 4. What can I do?

Will I have to make a full investment and acquire a new version of UltraStudio?
Offline

Andy Coulthurst

  • Posts: 212
  • Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Re: thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 11:13 am

kanpro wrote:I have a laptop with Thunderbolt 2 and UltraStudio Express with Thunderbolt 2.

Now, laptops come with USB-C Thunderbolt 3 or 4. What can I do?

Will I have to make a full investment and acquire a new version of UltraStudio?

Apple make a conversion cable.
I use it to connect a MacMini (tb3) to hyperdecks (tb2)
Offline
User avatar

kanpro

  • Posts: 13
  • Joined: Mon Jun 02, 2014 11:27 am
  • Location: 18013, Granada
  • Real Name: Víctor Aragón

Re: thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3

PostWed Sep 15, 2021 11:20 am

I know that these converters exist, but I do not know if they work with Blackmagic devices.
Offline

Howard Roll

  • Posts: 1465
  • Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:50 am

Re: thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3

PostThu Sep 16, 2021 12:38 am

I use TB2 ultrastudios and mini recorders all the time with TB3 Macs, It's painless.

Good Luck
Offline

Gert

  • Posts: 18
  • Joined: Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:01 pm
  • Location: Herpen, Netherlands

Re: thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 8:49 am

kanpro wrote:I know that these converters exist, but I do not know if they work with Blackmagic devices.


TB3 Converters from Apple and StarTech do not work with Ultrastudio 3D wich is TB2.
Atem 1M/E Classic; Atem 2M/E 4K; Atem 4M/E 4K; 10x Panasonic PTZ camera's; Panasonic RP120 Controller; Panasonic RP 50 controller; 3x Panasonic PX270; 3x Hyperdeck mini; Cleanswitch 12x12; Smartscope 4K; Videoassist 4k
Offline

Andy Coulthurst

  • Posts: 212
  • Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Re: thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3

PostMon Sep 20, 2021 4:24 pm

Interesting - I wonder why they work on the Hyperdeck Studio Pro (TB2) ?
Offline

Howard Roll

  • Posts: 1465
  • Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:50 am

Re: thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 1:47 am

The Ultrastudio 3D is TB1. The Ultrastudio Express and Minirecorder (TB2) both work fine with TB3 Intel Macs.

Good Luck
Offline

Raphaël Jacquot

  • Posts: 683
  • Joined: Wed Aug 29, 2012 4:15 pm

Re: thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 1:15 pm

Howard Roll wrote:The Ultrastudio 3D is TB1. The Ultrastudio Express and Minirecorder (TB2) both work fine with TB3 Intel Macs.

Good Luck


so the apple 3->2 converter works both ways, including power supply ?
Offline

Howard Roll

  • Posts: 1465
  • Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:50 am

Re: thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 1:19 pm

Raphaël Jacquot wrote:
Howard Roll wrote:The Ultrastudio 3D is TB1. The Ultrastudio Express and Minirecorder (TB2) both work fine with TB3 Intel Macs.

Good Luck


so the apple 3->2 converter works both ways, including power supply ?


No, but it works in the direction stated.

Good Luck
Offline

Andy Coulthurst

  • Posts: 212
  • Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:04 pm

Re: thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3

PostTue Sep 21, 2021 3:16 pm

Well this https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/72701-thunderbolt-3-device-thunderbolt-2-mac/ article suggests it works in both directions , but for a TB2 Mac to a TB3 device , the device must be powered , and of course you are only going to get TB2 speeds. I personally havent tried this.

Return to Live Production

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BennoZ and 15 guests