Multi-View as a clean source for OBS?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

connectesports

Multi-View as a clean source for OBS?

PostWed Oct 27, 2021 11:12 pm

Hello!
I've got the ATEM Television Studio switcher (which I love) that I use with my Aja U TAP SDI converter to bring my program into OBS for streaming. Right now I bring in one video input as a time into OBS, switching between cameras during my broadcast.

I want to bring in up to 8 video sources at once to OBS for multiple player cams, but the only way I've found to do this is use the Multi-Cam output and bring that in as a source, cropping out the cameras I want to use with OBS. The issue is the overlay volume/labels on the 8 inputs in the multi-view.

Is there a way to output all 8 inputs "clean" without overlays at once?

Thanks!
Bob

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Multi-View as a clean source for OBS?

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 8:57 am

There isn't a ton of flexibility on the multiviewer on the ATEM Television Studio as the multiview output is more intended for monitoring purposes rather than as a video source itself. You can enable or disable the audio meters, but I don't think there is a way to hide the labels for each source.

Another issue with using a 1920x1080 resolution multiview as a video source is that the individual windows become really small in terms of resolution. The two larger windows are around 960x540 while the eight smaller windows are only 480x270 resolution.

If you do want to bring 8 full HD resolution video sources into a computer you might look at using one of the DeckLink cards. For example, the DeckLink Quad 2 card has 8 independent SDI inputs and could be used in a Thunderbolt 3 PCI Express enclosure if you wanted to use it with a laptop.

Or if you want to go the multiview route, you might look at the Multiview 4 or Multiview 4 HD, either of which would allow you to do a quad split of 4 sources and have support for turning off the borders and labels. So with two of these dedicated Multiview units, and two capture devices, I suppose you could bring in 8 sources at reduced resolution (960x540).

Sander Vreuls

Re: Multi-View as a clean source for OBS?

PostThu Oct 28, 2021 1:08 pm

One way to hide the label (which I do on Program) is to remove the label text altogether. Though that can make routing in the software a bit of an issue..

Return to Live Production