HyperDeck SHDP SDI Out/Loop into ATEM input causes screaming

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Joshua Szanto

HyperDeck SHDP SDI Out/Loop into ATEM input causes screaming

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 1:46 am

We have all the SDI inputs on our ATEM Television HD Studio muted except for the XLR L/R inputs.

Why is it that when I plug SDI Out A, SDI Out B, or SDI Loop Out from our HyperDeck Studio HD Pro into any of the SDI [Camera] Inputs that I begin to hear a very audible high pitched/screaming sound coming from the ATEM switcher? (kind of sounds scary) I immediately unplug the SDI cable in fear of damage.

Robert Betzner

Re: HyperDeck SHDP SDI Out/Loop into ATEM input causes screa

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 11:03 am

It is because channel 15+16 are used for intercom on the ATEM switchers If you connect a Hyperdeck you are creating an audio loop as you feed the incoming SDI-embedded intercom signal (out of the ATEM) back into the ATEM (loop out of the Hyperdeck).

Try to disable the intercom functionality in the ATEM software. Unfortunately you can't do this for a specific input channel only global.

Cheers

Robert

Asgeir Hustad

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 11:25 am

I thought channels 15/16 were also affected by the mute on the input Robert?

Anyway, if the intercom loop is the problem, on the Hyperdeck you can set which audio channels it sends back. Settings this to either 2 or 8 will solve the feedback loop issue.

Joshua Szanto

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 3:04 pm

If I understand correctly, if we continue to use channels 15/16 on the HyperDeck and do not mute the intercom, this would also effectively mean disabling talkback, right?

So then, likewise, the suggestion of changing the audio channels "to either 2 or 8" would be appropriate if BMD talkback is an important feature, yes?

Asgeir Hustad

PostTue Dec 07, 2021 7:39 pm

Yes, that is how I understand this problem. Another solution if you need 16 channels of audio is to not connect the Hyperdeck in a loop situation - aka only use it for recording or only for playback.

Return to Live Production