[Feature request] Add 60hz to Constellation 8K

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

tautin

[Feature request] Add 60hz to Constellation 8K

PostSat Dec 18, 2021 1:48 am

Hello,

Would it be possible to add 60hz support to the Constellation 8K? I have ordered several MicroConverters 12G SDI to HDMI to connect several Dell U2720Q, but these monitors only supports 60hz, not 59.94 :cry: . It somehow works but regularly I get a black screen during ~5-10s. It's a bit weird that it nearly works with the MicroConverters since when I connect the monitor to the HDMI output of a VideoAssist (receiving a 59.94 input), the monitor show an error, asking for 60hz.

Everything works if I use a Decimator 12G-CROSS to convert 59.94 to 60, but the MicroConverters are much smaller, much cheaper and much easier to find (buying the Decimators is a nightmare currently :| ).

Thanks

EDIT: oh well, after unplugging the HDMI cable and replugging it, and rebooting the display, it seems to accept 59.94 hz now, even from the VideoAssist. I don't think anything changed in the configuration :shock: . Still, it would be great to have a 60 hz option on the Constellation ;)

EDIT 2: after some more testing, the problem was the cable used (this one: https://www.delock.com/produkte/880_HDMI-A-male---HDMI-A-male/85386/merkmale.html). It works with the cable plugged in one way (with the Delock logo on the input), and not the other. It's not an active cable, go figure :shock: .

tautin

Re: [Feature request] Add 60hz to Constellation 8K

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 3:10 pm

After even more testing... Finally, plugging the cables in the right way does not fix the problem, flickering still occurs. Rebooting the monitors does fix the problem, but several reboots are sometimes required. We'll be using 8 monitors, so that's not an ideal solution...

Not sure how hard would it be to add 60hz (and 30hz) support to the Constellation, but it would be really great!

Xtreemtec

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 3:48 pm

I'm so happy i'm in a 50Hz country.. Saves so much problems :lol:

But yes i get why you have problems with this.. And Why dell says 50/60 HZ only.. As 59.94 is just a weird one for those kind of screens..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

tautin

PostThu Jan 20, 2022 4:14 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:I'm so happy i'm in a 50Hz country.. Saves so much problems :lol:

Indeed... Well I'm also in a 50hz country, but we have setup our cameras in 29.97 to get as much frames as possible since we use them for photogrammetry computations...

No blink if I configure the Constellation in 50hz, but since our cameras are in 29.97 the videos aren't smooth anymore.

Buying 8 other monitors is an option, but the supported framerates are never indicated :(
Last edited by tautin on Sat Jan 22, 2022 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Jan 21, 2022 6:16 pm

Why go for 29.97 framerate in a 50Hz country.. So many problems with lighting, monitors ext. Go 25 or 50.. Do your self a favor.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

tautin

PostSat Jan 22, 2022 12:32 am

I'm working at an oceanographic institute, our cameras are on submarines (remotely operated from the ship), and the main goal is usually to acquire data, not to do live events. With these videos we create 3D models of the filmed scene (stuff like this: https://wwz.ifremer.fr/mediterranee/l-actu-Ifremer-Mediterranee/Une-Tour-Eiffel-a-1700-metres-de-profondeur-en-3D). To do so, in theory, the more images we have, the better. In practice I guess that we wouldn't see a big difference with 5 frames less per second, but for my colleague doing the maths loosing these frames "just" for a displaying problem is close to blasphemy :lol:

Ryan Somerfield

PostMon Jan 31, 2022 11:54 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:Why go for 29.97 framerate in a 50Hz country.. So many problems with lighting, monitors ext. Go 25 or 50.. Do your self a favor.

I live in a pal country too but have changed all my streams to 30, espeically streaming on platforms like youtube/facebook/zoom/teams etc (which is most of my streams) cause they all convert to 30 anyway and do a horrible job converting it so id rather do the conversion first before they mess it up! things like lights can be easily fixed with shutter

Return to Live Production