Which Product to Apply LUT on HDMI Signal

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

valentinpando

Which Product to Apply LUT on HDMI Signal

PostThu May 12, 2022 10:15 am

Hi there!
I know, that the SDI to HDMI Micro and Mini Converters can apply LUTs on the signal. Unfortunately, the HDMI to SDI version don't. Is that just because it happens less frequently, or is there another reason for that? And what can I do to apply a LUT (preferably 33 grid or 65 grid) onto my 4K HDMI footage? Using 2 converters seems a bit silly.

Thanks
Valentin

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Which Product to Apply LUT on HDMI Signal

PostTue May 17, 2022 11:37 pm

The Micro Converter BiDirectional SDI/HDMI 12G can apply a LUT to the HDMI output. There is a setting in the Converters Setup utility where you can configure whether the uploaded LUT should be applied to the SDI output, the HDMI output, or both.

If you only connect a single video input to the BiDirectional Micro Converters, that video input signal is available on both of the video outputs (SDI and HDMI).

The 12G Micro Converters support a 33 point LUT and can work with 4K video signals up to 2160p60. Which is a bit better than the 3G Micro Converters that are limited to HD and only support a 17 point LUT.

Note that if you need HDMI input, but not HDMI output, the newer Micro Converters HDMI to SDI 3G and 12G are both capable of applying a LUT to their SDI outputs.

It is mostly the Mini Converter 6G and Teranex Mini 12G converters where the LUT feature was limited to the SDI to HDMI converter models. I'm guessing this is because it was assumed that the primary use for this feature was to be able to monitor SDI log video signals on lower cost HDMI monitors.

Return to Live Production