ATEM Mini Pro ISO and ejecting SSDs

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

CraigRHC

ATEM Mini Pro ISO and ejecting SSDs

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 5:56 pm

First time using an AMPI for SSD recording.
Due to only 1 USB-C connection, a couple times I've needed to go back and forth on attaching and removing the SSD. (i.e. Setup Software, Test record to SSD, disconnect SSD -- connect to Laptop to check recording, etc.)

Macs and PCs make a BIG DEAL about the ejection process to not destroy data or make an SSD (or flash card) unusable.
Is there any concern about simply removing the SSD with the ATEM powered on?
(No power switch and no warning message or described process makes it seem fine.) Just wanting to be safe.

By the way, I am now aware of the option of using the Ethernet for SW control. This is good. However, my question remains, as my normal workflow will involve using the ethernet out to the Streaming Bridge.

shenrods

Re: ATEM Mini Pro ISO and ejecting SSDs

PostThu Feb 25, 2021 7:04 pm

Surprisingly the ATEM Mini PRO ISO handles it very well. Same with the ATEM Software. I am using a Mac Mini M1. I have an USB C Hub attached to the ATEM Mini PRO ISO that has 4 ports. I can plug in multiple USB SSD drives. You can designate the 1st and 2nd drives in the ATEM software control. Then the software will automatically switch the 2nd drive to the 1st drive if the 1st drive is removed. Amazingly reliable.

gsimonelli

PostMon May 23, 2022 12:10 am

That didn't really answer the question.

Cybershadow

PostMon May 23, 2022 11:59 am

CraigRHC wrote:Is there any concern about simply removing the SSD with the ATEM powered on?
(No power switch and no warning message or described process makes it seem fine.) Just wanting to be safe.

This is no problem. As soon as the disk LED lights up green, it's safe to unplug the disk. Even unplugging the disk while the recording is still in progress will not corrupt the recordings and you'll lose only a few seconds. Grant demonstrated that in the presentation of the ATEM Mini Pro starting at 58:41:
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Jens Willmroth

Mrmattday93

PostTue May 24, 2022 5:24 pm

If it’s any consolation, even Microsoft has recently said as long as you’re not accessing anything on a drive there is no longer a need to do the safely eject process

Return to Live Production