Fujinon XA20sx8.5BERM-K3 and BM Focus Demand Compatibility?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

cburket

Fujinon XA20sx8.5BERM-K3 and BM Focus Demand Compatibility?

PostWed Dec 15, 2021 5:04 am

I'm reading through the Ursa Broadcast G2 manual and it appears that this series lens in not compatible with the focus demand. Can anyone confirm this?

MitchellNeth

Re: Fujinon XA20sx8.5BERM-K3 and BM Focus Demand Compatibili

PostThu Dec 16, 2021 5:52 pm

This lens does not have a servo focus built in, only a servo zoom, therefore you are correct, the USB C focus demand from BMD will not work.
Mitchell Neth
Broadcast Engineer - Life.Church
Edmond, Oklahoma USA

Howard Roll

PostThu Dec 16, 2021 10:14 pm

There's an external digital servo for the XA20, part number FSM-30B. You'd connect the 3 pin Hirose from the lens to the servo. This would enable focus control from the OCP, so I don't see why it wouldn't work with the BM demands as they should be using the same protocol. Don't take my word for it because I don't know definitively, call Fujinon and ask for assistance, they're friendly, knowledgeable, and available.

Good Luck

FSM-30B.png
FSM-30B.png (53.48 KiB) Viewed 4217 times

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Dec 17, 2021 5:02 am

These do not currently work. We will try to get in one of the FSM-30B to get it working but currently on URSA Broadcast G2 this won't work.

As per the manual... If you are going Fuji and want to use our USB Focus Demand you need the RD suffix in the lens name or the LA16x8BRM which doesn't officially have a focus servo but it does have focus servo capabilities with URSA Broadcast G2.

trevorspalace

PostMon Dec 20, 2021 6:12 pm

Thanks for tackling this subject. When you have an answer whether or not the BM Focus Demand will work with the XA20sx8.5BERM K3 Focus Servo, please update!
We have two URSA G2's with this lens. The Zoom Demand works really well and is a good design. Now we need to be able to use our BM Focus Demand but need to know if it will work with the FSM 30B, or if we need to return the BM Focus Demand, and go with the Fuji Demand for Focus.
Thanks!

PeterEdw

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 11:13 am

Tim Schumann wrote:These do not currently work. We will try to get in one of the FSM-30B to get it working but currently on URSA Broadcast G2 this won't work.

As per the manual... If you are going Fuji and want to use our USB Focus Demand you need the RD suffix in the lens name or the LA16x8BRM which doesn't officially have a focus servo but it does have focus servo capabilities with URSA Broadcast G2.

So only to confirm (before ordering), the LA16x8BRM lens is supported for full Zoom/Focus control from BM zoom & focus demands, and also through ATEM control, on the Broadcast G2?

MotionInPix

Re: Fujinon XA20sx8.5BERM-K3 und BM Focus Nachfragekompatibi

PostTue Jan 11, 2022 6:42 pm

Yes, ist full supported.

jim.chase

PostTue Mar 22, 2022 10:30 pm

We also have a couple Broadcast G2's with the XA20sx8.5BRM-K3 lenses and would like to use the BM Focus Demand Units (We already have the attached Servo units for focus). Please let me know when you get this working.

AddzElliott

PostFri May 27, 2022 7:21 am

Has anyone tested this with the FSM-30B focus servo module yet?

jim.chase

PostFri May 27, 2022 5:02 pm

Yes, I have tested it with the servo controller and it doesn’t work. We ended up purchasing the Fujinon focus demands and returning the BM focus controllers. We would buy the Blackmagic focus demands if BM gets it working with this lens. The big benefit for us would be the ability to remote focus the cameras with the BM software.

AddzElliott

PostThu Jun 09, 2022 11:32 am

Thanks Jim, I think we might end up going down that route too. However I have been in contact with Fujinon who have confirmed with Blackmagic that they are yet to develop the control for the FSM-30B. but Fujinon did inform me they are going to send a FSM-30B out to blackmagic in they hope they can work their magic and get it working, so lets keep and eye out and hope its something they will update soon.

cyprian21

PostThu Aug 25, 2022 10:09 pm

Hello,

I bought the Fujinon XA20sx8.5BERM lens naively thinking I could just get away with using the left hand to operate the focus. This simply does not work when the camera is on a tripod.

I will need to purchase the Fujinon FSM-30B Focus Servo Module to save the day, at least partially. I could purchase the corresponding Fujinon demand but then I'm giving up ATEM software control of the focus. I already have both the Blackmagic zoom and focus demands. I'd be over the moon should Blackmagic integrate the Fujinon FSM-30B Focus module into the Blackmagic ecosystem.

If anybody from Blackmagic is reading this could you please provide an update? Did you guys received the module Fujinon was supposedly sending you?

Thanks!

Cyprian

Tim Schumann

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Aug 25, 2022 10:48 pm

cyprian21 wrote:Fujinon FSM-30B Focus module into the Blackmagic ecosystem.

If anybody from Blackmagic is reading this could you please provide an update? Did you guys received the module Fujinon was supposedly sending you?

We have not been able to get one of these units so focus servo from Blackmagic focus demands will not work with this lens. Zoom demand will work well but for focus you will need the Fuji focus solution on this one.

LA16x8 works well with focus and zoom capability via our demands as do any recent UA, HA, XA lenses with the BERD hand grips.

LouisBacker

PostFri Aug 26, 2022 9:41 am

cyprian21 wrote:
I bought the Fujinon XA20sx8.5BERM lens naively thinking I could just get away with using the left hand to operate the focus. This simply does not work when the camera is on a tripod.

Exactly the same control challenge here with the Fujinon XA20sx8.5BERM K3 / UB G2 combo, except I didn't realise when I purchased this lens, there was no focus motor. Duh.

I bought it because for larger auditorium events, our Fujinon LA16x8BRM lenses can be a little short on reach for conference-format upper body shots (auditorium cameras often being relegated to the back of the room).

And you're right, it's not easy to manual focus whilst simultaneously panning and zooming someone on a stage 25+ metres away.
Last edited by LouisBacker on Sun Aug 28, 2022 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Dataton Watchout, Reckeen 3D Studio & vMix 4K

jim.chase

PostSat Aug 27, 2022 5:45 pm

Well that is bad news...

If the only problem is you need an FSM-30B to make it work, I have one I can send you to do whatever is needed to get the BM focus demand to work with any Fujinon lens using the FSM-30B. I am happy to help make it happen. Would that be helpful?

yasdfgr

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 10:15 pm

I am searching also for a solution with this configuration.
I figured out that it will not be possible without some hardware effort.

This is because the focus servo (FSM-30B) cannot be controlled from the main lens electronic, which is conneted to the camera. The connection between main eletronic and FSM-30B uses only 2 pins (of 3 available) - only for power supply.

The control signals for focus are coming only from the focus demand (FSD-11).
FSD-11 and FSM-30B are connected over a cable with a 6-pin connector.
On the side of FSM-30B 5 pins out of 6 pins are connected.
Surprisingly, the FSD-11 only uses 2 pins (!) on its side.

Does anyone has some documentation / manuals from this devices, maybe with pinout description?

Thomascavs

PostFri Dec 01, 2023 9:00 pm

Just to note, only lenses with the BERD suffix have internal motors for focus
4 x Ursa Broadcast with Studio viewfinder. Ursa Mini Pro 4.6k Ef. Ursa Mini 4k. Ursa Mini 4.6k. Television Studio Pro 4k. Hyperdeck Pro 4k. ATEM Camera control Panel. Autoscript EPIC IP 17. Constellation HD with Advanced panel

Return to Live Production