Flickering Signal with SDI to HDMI Converter and Atem Mini

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MZNorden

Flickering Signal with SDI to HDMI Converter and Atem Mini

PostMon Sep 06, 2021 1:50 pm

Dear guys,

we're using the Blackmagic SDI to HDMI 3G Converters to accomplish a longer distance of signal with our Sony PXW-X70s.

We noticed that if we're using the cameras in 1080p resolution the output signal (to our Atem Mini) starts flickering (goes black every few frames).
But if we're using the cameras with 720p or 1080"i" resolution, the converter works like a charme and the signal is clean without any interruptions.

Did somebody else experience these kinds of problems with the converters? It feels like it couldn't handle the greater data bandwith of the higher resolution.

Please let us know, if you have an idea.

Best Regards

Pascal Janssen
MZN

P.S.
We're using the Atem Software on a new Win 10 System and of course with the newest version of the Atem Software.
The Atem is linked up with our ethernet port, the notebook via usb, and up to 3 cameras via HDMI into SDI converter.

We've also updated the firmware of the converters!

Asgeir Hustad

Re: Flickering Signal with SDI to HDMI Converter and Atem Mi

PostThu Sep 09, 2021 6:43 am

You are using either too long SDI cables or too bad a quality cable for the length of cable you're running.

1080p50 is twice the bandwidth of 720p50 / 1080i50. The converters can handle 3G fine, dropouts indicate bad signal quality in to the converter.

MZNorden

PostThu Sep 09, 2021 9:12 am

Thanks for your fast reply!

We thought about that too already, but for testing reasons we also tried a much shorter 5 meters SDI cable. Also the product information says, that those cables are 6G-SDI capable. Here are some specs of the cable that we used:

Length: 5 meters
electrical resistance: 75 Ohm
gold-plated contacts
and 6G-SDI capable (so even 4k shouldn't be a problem, right?)

Also we thought, that with 5 meters of cable length there shouldn't be any issues - even if it'd be a really cheap cable. Or are we wrong about that?

By the way - we also tried an high quality glass fibre HDMI cable from the converter into the Atem. Also without any changes for this problem.

Please let me know if you still think that another higher quality SDI cable would be necessary to solve our problem.

Kind Regards and again thank you very much for your fast answer!

Pascal Janssen
MZN

Raphaël Jacquot

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 6:56 pm

MZNorden wrote:Thanks for your fast reply!

We thought about that too already, but for testing reasons we also tried a much shorter 5 meters SDI cable. Also the product information says, that those cables are 6G-SDI capable. Here are some specs of the cable that we used:

Length: 5 meters
electrical resistance: 75 Ohm
gold-plated contacts
and 6G-SDI capable (so even 4k shouldn't be a problem, right?)

Also we thought, that with 5 meters of cable length there shouldn't be any issues - even if it'd be a really cheap cable. Or are we wrong about that?

By the way - we also tried an high quality glass fibre HDMI cable from the converter into the Atem. Also without any changes for this problem.

Please let me know if you still think that another higher quality SDI cable would be necessary to solve our problem.

Kind Regards and again thank you very much for your fast answer!

Pascal Janssen
MZN

indeed there should be no issues with a 5m cable.
you may want to find a different brand of cable to try.

metroav

PostFri Sep 10, 2021 8:13 pm

I've had the same problem on two separate installations using AVER PTZ330 cameras. HDMI coming out of the Mini-converter will randomly flicker at the ATEM switcher. It tends to only happen on one input...in our case #2. Cameras on inputs 1 & 3 are fine. Not sure why....very strange.

If you take the output of the SDI converter and go into a monitor then it is solid as a rock. Hard to believe it would be a cabling issue.

I did notice that the converters can be updated so we are going to try that.

Thanks,

Dave Wilkins
Metro AV

redrob

PostSun Jun 26, 2022 5:27 am

Hey @MetroAV -- what did you find?

I had flickering inputs from two different converts/cameras the other day and we couldn't fix it.. really stunk. :(

jbps.llc

PostThu Jul 13, 2023 11:48 pm

Hello,

Did anyone ever make progress on this issue?

I'm experiencing a similar issue in that I have FOUR BMD Bi-directional SDI/HDMI converters that all blink when taking in the SDI multiview feed out of a Constellation HD 2 ME to an HDMI feed out to a 43" Insignia TV. The Insignia TV software is up-to-date, and I have never had any issues with it flickering on an input source from a switcher or SDI/HDMI converter or any other source for that matter. It is just the Constellation HD 2ME that it doesn't like and continues to flicker no matter what standard it is set to (1080p or i @ 60) will just flicker.

My converters are all up to date. If I throw a Decimator MD-Cross v2 on the signal, there are no issues, and it's receiving the MV feed which is still 1080p@60, and it's then also sending out 1080p@60, it's just the BMD bidirectional converters that it doesn't like. The kicker is that I have a smaller 32" Samsung TV that doesn't have any issues with the BMD converters and taking this same MV signal source from the Constellation.

It is just the weirdest thing and makes me not sure if I'm going to hold onto this Constellation if it's going to be weird and goofy with basic and simple stuff like this.

poucedeleon

PostFri Jul 14, 2023 7:32 pm

I have had a similar problem with a new monitor. I ended up changing 3D output on my ATEM to Level A to correct the problem. You may eat the check your cameras to see if this is a selectable option. If two cameras are set to level A and the one that is flickering is set to live B (normal) that could be what is causing your issue.
Kevin Young

david16s

PostSat Jul 15, 2023 6:55 am

Flickering signal?
Check SDI to HDMI converter.
Troubleshoot Atem Mini.

Falken

PostTue Dec 05, 2023 1:03 pm

I too have experienced the same flickering issues. Just today was troubleshooting one of those; camera -hdmi-> bm bidirectional -sdi-> bm sdi to hdmi -hdmi-> atem mini extreme

Changing the bideritional converter to level A seems to have fixed to issue for me , knock on wood

Return to Live Production