Multiple issues with HyperDeck Shuttle HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

UnixMover

Multiple issues with HyperDeck Shuttle HD

PostWed Jun 01, 2022 2:39 am

I'm sure this is the same as everyone else...but.

I use Resolve Studio and the HyperDeck pre-defined format to create multiple videos for the HyperDeck Shuttle HD (HDSHD). When I add them to an SD card, the then place the card into the HDSHD. There are no videos displayed. I then FTP into the device, and the files are all there under the "1" directory. I then do the same for YouTube, 264 Master and while all the files are on the card, the device recognizes none of the videos.

When I connect an ATEM Mini ISO Extreme to the HDSHD. The ATEM connects to the HDSHD, yet shows no videos.

After restarting Resolve, it finally creates one video which is recognized by the HDSHD, so one would think this is success...but no. I attempted to create more videos, yet the HDSHD does not recognize them (as a note, all the files play back on every other device).

To add insult to injury: If I FTP files to the HDSHD, I have to eject the card, and then reinsert it into the HDSHD so it can reread the card contents. And the plot thickens even more when I attach an SSD to the HDSHD. It appears the HDSHD can't read more than one file system at a time. To prove this, I took the one file Resolve created and then copied that file to the SD and the SSD. To ensure I could tell which file system the HDSHD read, I labeled the files sequentially from 1 .. 10. 1 .. 5 were on the SD, and 6 .. 10 were on the SSD.

When I powered up the HDSHD, it read the SSD and ignored the SD. When I removed the SSD, the HDSHD instantly read the SD card. If I reinserted the SSD into the HDSHD, I could not make it re-read the SSD until I removed the SD and then power cycled the HDSHD.

And of course there was more wierdness in the IP stack. I removed the HDSHD from DHCP and assigned a static IP. Everything seemed to work, except I could not ping the address just assigned to the HDSHD; yet the system seemed to be fine. When I started the HDSHD configuration software, it could not find the HDSHD. I had to insert the USB cord to attach to the device. I then reset the IP address to the same static address, yet the setup software could still not find the device until I inserted the USB cable again.

I then went to the ATEM Mini Extreme ISO and the HyperDeck tab. The ATEM could not find the HDSHD after I inserted the correct IP address. I reinserted the USB cable, and reset the HDSHD. It got a DHCP address and worked across the whole ecosystem. I then set a static IP and the unit still functioned across the whole ecosystem.

One device with so many issues. Was this rushed into the hands of users?
Thomas Klinect

Samfatima

Re: Multiple issues with HyperDeck Shuttle HD

PostThu Jun 02, 2022 3:02 pm

I’m glad I’m not the only one. You’re one step ahead of me. I spent four hours trying to play a different video formats and nothing worked. I’m very disappointed. This was marketed as a way to play back videos and it’s unable to do so. I now cannot trust it to do it other functions like recording events.

theIdol

PostThu Jun 16, 2022 4:57 pm

Is there still room in the boat, 'cause I have those same issues especially with the ethernet stuff. I also have an issue with feeding the HDSHD HDMI input from the Atem Mini Pro and also using it as a source on the same Atem, obviously not at the same time. All I get is an intermittent video signal on record, the video flashing on and off.

The prompter does work well, but all the other feature are suspect.

I only have a Samsung T5 plugged in.

UnixMover

PostSat Jun 25, 2022 3:03 am

I should work for Blackmagic with the time I have spent working on this, but...

I determined the reason the files I created in Resolve are not readable by the HDSHD: because Resolve created the videos with “H.264 High L4”. I had to change the files to “H.264 Main L4”. The moment I did, the HDSHD read the files and played them.

I also went into the menu of the HDSHD and set the default codec to 1080P30. Since all the videos I created were 1080p30, all is good. So now my workflow is creating the video in Resolve. Deliver in any format I want. Use a converter to set the last file to H.264 Main L4. And finally upload to HDSHD and play.

Now, transferring them to the HDSHD is another issue. Using FTP works well, but when you place the files on the devices filesystem, ejecting the filesystem is the only way to have the UHS SD reread. Now this isn’t horrible (per se), but if you have a USB-C filesystem attached, the HDSHD will read the USB-C device and display its contents. But if you put the UHS SD in, the HDSHD will NOT read the UHS SD. It will only show the files of the USB-C, unless you either; remove the USB-C device, forcing the device to read the UHS SD device. Or cycle power and hope the device reads the UHS SD device first.

Also, the connection to the HDSHD occasionally just drops. You can ping the HDSHD and it shows e. You can FTP to the device and read the contents of /, /1, or /2. But the ATEM can’t see the device. Even if you change the address for the HDSHD in the ATEM to something other than the address you applied to it, the HDSHD cannot be found.

e.g: The HDSHDs address is currently set to 192.168.1.2 in the ATEM. Change that address to 192.168.1.3 and press connect. The connection will fail and timeout. Then power-cycle the HDSHD. Now enter the actual address of the HDSHD back to the original 192.168.1.2 in the ATEM and press connect. The ATEM connects to the HDSHD.
Thomas Klinect

gspam1

PostMon Jun 27, 2022 5:31 pm

Thank you for your detective work UnixMover. You've saved a lot of people (me included) from a lot of needless suffering.

theIdol

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 6:05 am

I think I might have the only HyperDeck Shuttle HD that is missing the "working" option. It must not have been installed. I still can't reconnect the Hyperdeck setup software to my Hyperdeck with ethernet. I changed out my Samsung T5 because support told me it was not on the "approved media list", so I got an approved drive, a Samsung T7 500gb, still the same problem, nothing changed.

I think I made a big mistake getting this, I should have looked at the ratings on B&H before purchasing, it's only a 3 star.

I'm bitter, but hopefully they can turn this situation around, soon.

UnixMover

PostMon Jul 04, 2022 9:03 pm

theIdol wrote:I think I might have the only HyperDeck Shuttle HD that is missing the "working" option. It must not have been installed. I still can't reconnect the Hyperdeck setup software to my Hyperdeck with ethernet. I changed out my Samsung T5 because support told me it was not on the "approved media list", so I got an approved drive, a Samsung T7 500gb, still the same problem, nothing changed.

I think I made a big mistake getting this, I should have looked at the ratings on B&H before purchasing, it's only a 3 star.

I'm bitter, but hopefully they can turn this situation around, soon.

I would still get the device despite all the issues. I have a lot of BM devices and most are "ok". The hardware build appears to be great on all of the devices, its just the software/firmware that appears to be the issue.

I have a 7" 12G Video assistant and along with all of the other issues mentioned in this fourm, my Sony shotgun mic would not work. I engaged BM support and they recommended I get a mic which was supported ????

I have a Micro Studio Camera 4K which appears to be put out to pasture as I cant find support for it on the support site.

I have the ATEM mini extreme ISO and the number of issues there are far more than I ever expected.

I have the cloud pod and it suffers from connection issues like the HDSHD.

My only real concern is I just purchased the Ursa 12K and I am hoping I can record and use the video from it for the other devices I have in the BM ecosystem. Although I did wait till the price dropped in half, after you get all the stuff needed to run the rig you're over $18K (USD). I would hate for this to suffer from firmware/software issues like everything else I have purchased.

The only thing I have which does not give me grief is the Resolve Speed Editor. I love this little gem.

But speaking of Resolve, why is it Resolve can load just about every video format, and Fusion cant? I have to load some videos into Resolve, and then deliver them without changing anything. Just so I can use them in Fusion.

Consistency throughout the BM ecosystem is suspect at best.
Thomas Klinect

Howard Roll

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 7:58 pm

I have a Micro Studio Camera 4K which appears to be put out to pasture as I cant find support for it on the support site.

Out to pasture indeed, the last Camera update for the m4k, 4.7, is available on the support page.

Good Luck

UnixMover

PostSun Jul 10, 2022 11:54 pm

Thanks for the pointer.

Another item I am working with is the heat. The HDSHD is not just hot...you'll need to increase the BTU of your space to dissipate the amount of heat it generates.Just sitting there, not being used, the device is 100 degrees F. Add the heat of the Cloud Pod at 98 degrees F and couple that with the ATEM mini Extreme ISO with a balmy 105 degrees F: You get just short of 300 degrees F you have to dissipate.

I spent 10 years in the military on the Electronic Warfare / Intelligence side of the table. In the spaces where I worked, the ambient temperatures rarely rose above 70 degrees F. At sea, in the desert, on a military base, it was just cold. The explanation they provided me was "we are not cooling the people; we are cooling the equipment". So when I would go from one command to another, I always brought a "foul weather" jacket to stay warm.

So my question is: Where these tools are used, what are the temps? If the room is small, these devices would cook the room in no time. If the rooms are larger, I can see it taking more time to warm the place; but I also realize these items I have would not be used as much in professional studios (there are always the professional grade equivalents to be had), so I'm going to drop back to the smaller, hotter room size.
Thomas Klinect

UnixMover

PostSun Jul 10, 2022 11:57 pm

UnixMover wrote:e.g: The HDSHDs address is currently set to 192.168.1.2 in the ATEM. Change that address to 192.168.1.3 and press connect. The connection will fail and timeout. Then power-cycle the HDSHD. Now enter the actual address of the HDSHD back to the original 192.168.1.2 in the ATEM and press connect. The ATEM connects to the HDSHD.

This is turning out to be a real pain in the backside. Twice a week I have to repoint the ATEM Software Control to the same IP address I gave it the week before. There must be a firmware update in the makings....
Thomas Klinect

UnixMover

PostSat Jul 30, 2022 1:08 am

Bad etiquette...but: Is there anyone from BMD who can assist with some level of an answer? Why is working with this device so difficult?
Thomas Klinect

radudragusi

PostThu Mar 21, 2024 10:44 am

Are you able to play files recorded on ATEM Mini Extreme on HSHD?

Return to Live Production