Constellation 8K not part of the Constellation HD family?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

kaerfull1

Constellation 8K not part of the Constellation HD family?

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 4:20 pm

With the release of the Constellation HD group of products, the long lost ability to capture a still from a video source, has finally been added to non-mini switchers. However, after the firmware update, the Constellation 8K still doesn't have this function! I guess I can understand the BMD policy of not adding new product features to old products in order to push new product sales but the Constellation 8K, having the Constellation name, should have all of the features the newer Constellation products have. Just by virtue of the fact that the 8K is more expensive than the HDs, it should at the very least include all of the HDs most basic features. I try so hard to defend BMD shortcomings to those who still consider them a consumer level joke in the pro user world but this I can not defend. The 8K is their flagship switcher. Why wouldn't they want it to have all basic features? I spoke with some BMD engineers on the floor at NAB and they admitted that it's just a firmware thing that the 8K could easily handle, "but they probably won't do it". Pitiful to say the least.

Matt Certa

Re: Constellation 8K not part of the Constellation HD family

PostThu Jun 30, 2022 6:38 pm

I can only guess that the actual hardware isn't capable of it, along with the laundry list of missing features we've asked about for the last several years.

Xtreemtec

Re: Constellation 8K not part of the Constellation HD family

PostTue Jul 05, 2022 1:40 pm

Matt Certa wrote:along with the laundry list of missing features we've asked about for the last several years.
It's that long list....

But there has not been any proper FW update yet to the 8K since the mini's.. And that explains why it isn't in there yet.. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production