Constellation compatible Talkback systems

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Ismael Muñoz

Constellation compatible Talkback systems

PostWed Jul 06, 2022 11:02 am

Hello,

We're considering changing the equipment from an old Atem 1 M/E Production Switcher to a new ATEM 2 M/E Constellation HD.

At this moment, we have own external Intercom system, completely independent of the Blackmagic Studio camera system. With the Constellation HD, the talkback are integrated with the cameras, but we need an additional headset. I saw that the Constellation have a RJ45 for talkback, but i can't find at the manual too much information about it.

Do i need an (expensive) extra hardware to get only one more headset or can I make it work with a simple RJ45 to XLR adapter? Can I know which specific hardware can do this?

Thank you!

Xtreemtec

Re: Constellation compatible Talkback systems

PostWed Jul 06, 2022 3:54 pm

All depends on your current intercom system.

The Talkback connector of the Constellation is a Dual 4Wire analog balanced audio in and output.

1 for Engineering and 1 for Director.

This is just normal line level 4 wire. So it's not a party line and you can not just hang any system to it. But if your system can interface with 4Wire then it should be oke.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Ismael Muñoz

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 3:18 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:All depends on your current intercom system.

The Talkback connector of the Constellation is a Dual 4Wire analog balanced audio in and output.

This is just normal line level 4 wire. So it's not a party line and you can not just hang any system to it. But if your system can interface with 4Wire then it should be oke.

First of all, thank you for your reply!

I have seen the pinout in another thread, but, sorry for my total ignorance:

Can the 4 Wires of the RJ45 of each intercom be soldered directly to the XLR connector?

David Hutchinson

PostFri Jul 08, 2022 11:33 am

Ismael Muñoz wrote:
Xtreemtec wrote:All depends on your current intercom system.

First of all, thank you for your reply!

I have seen the pinout in another thread, but, sorry for my total ignorance:

Can the 4 Wires of the RJ45 of each intercom be soldered directly to the XLR connector?

That's what I've done and it works fine.

I connect the XLRs to Dante converters and I can feed anything I need into comms via an audio mixer

Ismael Muñoz

PostFri Jul 08, 2022 11:37 am

Perfect!
Thank you all so much.

Dave Del Vecchio

PostFri Jul 08, 2022 2:52 pm

It would help to know what intercom system you are trying to connect to.

As others have mentioned if you are using an intercom system that works with 4-wire audio (where the talk and listen audio is handled separately), then you can typically just use a simple wire converter to connect things. Most matrix intercom systems and intercom systems based around digital audio (such as Dante) work with 4-wire audio.

If instead you are using a 2-wire analog party line intercom system (where talk and listen audio are combined in a single audio signal), then you would typically need a 2-wire to 4-wire intercom audio interface to connect the two systems. These interfaces typically have some kind of nulling capability in order to deal with the feedback issues that could otherwise result when passing bidirectional audio between a party line and 4-wire system.

Xtreemtec

PostMon Jul 11, 2022 8:03 am

Also plugging your 4Wire into a 2Wire Party line will result into an instant damage of your intercom port of the Constellation. Which is not coverred under warranty. ;)

So make sure you are absolute sure what you plug it into :lol:
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Ismael Muñoz

PostThu Nov 24, 2022 12:49 pm

Hi all again, thank you for your responses.
Now we have the new Atem Constellation 2M/E working (What an upgrade with the previous one!)

Now the intercom is working with ATEM's own. I mean, the mixer and camera operators are interconnected with the Constellation system.

From the old ATEM system we keep an old "Production Intercom MS200" with all the belts. It have a:
1X front 4-pin XLR for the headset
Pin 1 Mic common
Pin 2 Mic hot
Pin 3 Headphone common
Pin 4 Headphone hot

1X output for paging
Pin 1 Sleeve Ground (Shield)
Pin 2 Tip Hot (+) Signal
Pin 3 Ring Cold (-) Signal

6X 3-pin XLR connectors for 6X belts to connect a headset to each one. (The Belt (BP.15 PI INTERCOM) converts the 3-Pin XLR with power to a conventional 4-Pin XLR Headset)
Pin 1 Ground (Shield)
Pin 2 Power (+30 VDC)
Pin 3 Audio

So my question is:
Can I interconnect through the RJ45 of the Constellation one of the 4-Wire connections to my Production Intercom MS200? For example, connecting it to the front 4-pin XLR or to one of the belts. So I can communicate with more people than a camera operator.

I don't know if im being too dumb doing this conversion or it really that easy.

Thank you so much for your responses and your patience.

Studioalpha

PostTue Feb 28, 2023 10:17 pm

Hello everyone and congratulations for the topics covered.
I bought a Constellation 4 M/E and two ATEM talkback converters 4k. I would like the RJ45 connection to communicate with the Aesebu inputs on the talkback. Do you have any tips to follow? Thank you

Return to Live Production