SDI/HDMI 3G micro-convertor and TV Studio HD

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Alastair

SDI/HDMI 3G micro-convertor and TV Studio HD

PostFri Aug 05, 2022 2:52 pm

Hi all, new to the forum.
Thanks in advance for any help you can offer :)

I'm setting up a streaming install for a university lecture/conference space. PTZ optics cameras, TV Studio HD switcher, hyperdeck plus, webpresenter, etc.

I need to get our podium's computer screen signal into the switcher (for powerpoints etc.). I had hoped to connect our intel Mac mini's HDMI to the BM SDI/HDMI 3G bi-directional micro-convertor and have that convertor output HDMI for our projector and SDI to go into the switcher. BUT ... I'm getting no signal at the switcher over SDI

If I connect the podium computer directly via HDMI I can get a signal at the switcher (1080p 30hz from computer screen, 1080P 29.97 is switcher setting (to work with PTZ cameras).

I've tried all the settings combinations in the converters set-up but to no avail.

Any idea how I can get the SDI signal working at switcher?

Many thanks

Alastair

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: SDI/HDMI 3G micro-convertor and TV Studio HD

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 10:18 am

On the ATEM Television Studio HD all of the video inputs must exactly match the resolution and frame rate that the switcher is set to use. So if the switcher video standard is 1080p2997, then any SDI video inputs must also be 1080p2997.

So the issue here would be the HDMI output from the computer into the HDMI to SDI converter. For example, if the computer outputs 1080p30 over HDMI, the converter will convert that to 1080p30 over SDI and then the switcher won't recognize it as it is not 1080p2997. Note that I believe the HDMI inputs on the switcher are a bit more tolerant of integer vs. fractional frame rates, which is why the switcher might accept a 1080p 30Hz signal over HDMI, but not over SDI.

Some people have success using a utility like SwitchResX to try to force the computer to output a particular resolution and refresh rate. If that doesn't work another option is to use a HDMI/SDI scaler and frame rate converter such as a Mini Converter UpDownCross HD or Decimator MD-HX. With those types of converters, you can take whatever video signal the computer ends up outputting and convert it to the exact signal format that the video switcher expects.

Cybershadow

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 12:15 pm

The safe option is to use a MiniConverter UpDownCross HD (or a Decimator MD-HX) instead of the MicroConverter. Those do frame rate conversion. That way you can even have a presenter plug in their own notebook without having to mess around with the output settings.
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Jens Willmroth

Jeff P

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 1:24 pm

How about a simple HDMI splitter at the podium? Then run one HDMI to the projector, and another to the switcher?
It seems like that may be the simplest and most cost effective solution.

Alastair

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 3:30 pm

Many thanks all.

Very disappointing that the micro-convertor can't handle this task ... then again it's pretty disappointing to be sitting at the TV studio HD a week after they released the atem mini sdi series!

I guess I'll have to give up on the micro-convertor, and in the spirit of using what I have at hand I'm going use the Apple USB-C AV adapter to feed the TV Studio HD an HDMI signal.

Consequently I will need an HDMI splitter (thanks) but I need one that strips out a copy of the audio to run to the board for in-house. There's a million generic solutions on Amazon, but can anyone recommend a proAV hdmi splitter with an extra audio out?

Howard Roll

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 8:16 pm

Edid fun. The switcher is likely sending out an EDID based on the switcher frame rate which the Mini correctly identifies. The 3G micro doesn't care one way or another so probably defaults to what the Mac wants to output which is 60/30. Pull up the 3G converter as a display and opt/click "scaled", a list of output rates should show up.

Good Luck

scaled.png
scaled.png (164.82 KiB) Viewed 501 times

Return to Live Production