G2 + analogue B4, full control

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Kim Janson

G2 + analogue B4, full control

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 6:28 pm

This is something we have been working lately.

B4 converter.jpg
B4 converter.jpg (498.2 KiB) Viewed 2184 times

It converts serial B4 to analogue B4, i.e makes possible fully controlling Iris, Focus and Zoom of older analogue B4 lens (that have those controls). We have tested it BMD Focus and Zoom Demand and over SDI, also with BMD Micro Studio 4k camera. The control is very good.

So if you have older B4 lens you still would like to use and fully control electrically with this box it is possible.

Currently we offer it only as part of project where we make sure everything works perfectly. If you are interested, please contact me.
LeViteZer Smooths the movement, www.levitezer.com

Xtreemtec

Re: G2 + analogue B4, full control

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 7:11 pm

Nice Kim,

Did you mount extra motors for Focus? Or did you happen to have a full motorized lens?
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Kim Janson

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 7:21 pm

Thanks

This lens is fully motorised, just using it as it is. We do a full calibration, the lens also reports back Zoom, Iris and Focus accurately and fast, even if the lens is controlled manually.

5.jpg
5.jpg (385.79 KiB) Viewed 2046 times

But now that we master the B4 serial that the camera uses, we could as well use it for controlling a Cine lens + servos 8-)

Howard Roll

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 7:49 pm

So is this box translating from analog to serial from 12pin to 12 pin Hirose or is it going straight to serial from the SDI return? I'd imaging most Cine Servo lenses are digital/serial since they're for the most part a recent invention relatively speaking.

Good Luck

Kim Janson

PostTue Aug 09, 2022 7:56 pm

The box converts the camera B4 serial (the camera 12 pin Hirose) to B4 analogue levels and also converts the lens potentiometer readings back to serial. SDI control is trough the camera.

Kim Janson

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 10:57 am

A short demonstration of the system

B41.jpg
B41.jpg (446.75 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
Last edited by Kim Janson on Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

LouisBacker

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 11:18 am

So just to check, is it the case that your box swaps the Zoom demand speed control to control the Iris? If so, do you them preset the desired zoom speed before inserting your box into the control chain?
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Reckeen 3D Studio. vMix 4K

Kim Janson

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 11:30 am

The box just forwards iris control command. The follow zoom speed controlling iris is configured from the camera menu for the demonstration purpose. i.e you could have the knob for zoom speed and control the iris from the camera. It just requires changing the knob assignment from the camera menu.

LouisBacker wrote:So just to check, is it the case that your box swaps the Zoom demand speed control to control the Iris? If so, do you them preset the desired zoom speed before inserting your box into the control chain?

LouisBacker

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 1:04 pm

Ah, that's really good to know, I've been searching for way to control the iris on my Canon Digisuper box lens from the pan bar and you've provided the answer - cheers!
2 x Sony FX9, 2 x Sony FX6, 6 x Ursa Broadcasts, 2 x Canon CR-N500 PTZeds with MRMC auto-tracking, ATEM CCU, ATEM TV Studio 4K. NewTek Tricaster TC1 and 460. Reckeen 3D Studio. vMix 4K

Xtreemtec

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 1:13 pm

Would be quite interesting to run Motors of the Tilta Nucleus with this... To motorize lenses that do not have powered focus..

From what i understand are the Nucleus motors Serial controlled.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Kim Janson

PostWed Aug 10, 2022 1:32 pm

Exactly ;)

Xtreemtec wrote:Would be quite interesting to run Motors of the Tilta Nucleus with this... To motorize lenses that do not have powered focus..

From what i understand are the Nucleus motors Serial controlled.

Kim Janson

PostThu Aug 11, 2022 3:21 pm

Testing FUJINO A15xBERD-R28 on URSA Broadcast G2 and LeViteZer B4 Control adapter

This is unedited video, just sound adjusted. If you are interested of what is happening, see with sound on.

These older B4 lenses are maybe not perfect, but I think pretty awesome for the price, this lens goes used about 700 euro. Also the BMD 4k B4 adapter does a very good job.

As seen on this video the bigger problem is the camera man (me) , in this case at least, and the not so steady tripod. To my defence I was trying to get the focus right with the camera monitor, it is just too small and far away for my eyesight.

Also the lens back focus was maybe not perfectly adjusted.

This was with the same setup, but also video levels adjusted, no other editing though, it is one take directly from camera, and with sound picked up by camera microphones gained up high, you can hear the camera fan and fast speed zoom. And some wind noice that makes the cat a bit nervous.

Jan Bednar

PostFri Aug 12, 2022 2:00 pm

Great work! And now the Tilta or PD Movie motors :) please! :)

Return to Live Production