Supersource not recorded - ATEM Extreme ISO

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Darryl

Supersource not recorded - ATEM Extreme ISO

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 7:49 am

I used Supersource for the first time this week and found that it wasn't in the recording. Just black where it should been. Any clues?

Thanks,
Darryl
Darryl Severn
The Videoverse by Darbeth
Livestreaming, Conferences, Info & Education, Events

Kit:
BMPCC 4K, Studio Cam 4K Pro, ATEM Mini Extreme ISO, Resolve Studio
DJI Inspire 2, Panasonic HCPV100,
Behringer XR16, Sennheiser XSW

Howard Roll

Re: Supersource not recorded - ATEM Extreme ISO

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 2:57 pm

If available, re-enter the output back into an input.

Good Luck

floh79

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 3:51 pm

I‘d expect, that the output is recorded as is it. So why not while Supersource? :shock: By feature description (ISO: Record all inputs and Outputs) I‘d say its a bug.

(I didn‘t order one ATEM yet because I wait for IBC. So I cannot test Supersource.)

Howard Roll

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 6:35 pm

floh79 wrote:I‘d expect, that the output is recorded as is it. So why not while Supersource? :shock: By feature description (ISO: Record all inputs and Outputs) I‘d say its a bug.

viewtopic.php?t=140092&p=754392

Good Luck

Darryl

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 8:22 pm

Howard Roll wrote:If available, re-enter the output back into an input.

Good Luck

We don't have that option - both outputs are in use already.
Darryl Severn

Kit:

Darryl

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 8:23 pm

Howard Roll wrote:
floh79 wrote:I‘d expect, that the output is recorded as is it. So why not while Supersource? :shock: By feature description (ISO: Record all inputs and Outputs) I‘d say its a bug.

viewtopic.php?t=140092&p=754392

Good Luck

Read the post - means a lot of editing work. :(
Darryl Severn

Kit:

Howard Roll

PostSat Aug 13, 2022 8:35 pm

If you have an input available, a simple hdmi splitter may present an adequate featuround.

Good Luck

Darryl

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 2:11 am

Howard Roll wrote:If you have an input available, a simple hdmi splitter may present an adequate featuround.

Good Luck

I may have a spare input, but neither of the outputs show what is being streamed which means the supersource will not be captured. The Program output is going via USB to a laptop to stream to Zoom. One output is the multiview. The other is the media (e.g.powerpoint) used by the presenter which is sent to the in room display for that audience to see.

All of these options would only work for future events which still leaves me with a mess to clean up in the current recording.

Darryl
Darryl Severn

Kit:

floh79

PostSun Aug 14, 2022 8:56 am

Howard Roll wrote:https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=140092&p=754392

Good Luck
The fact is still the same: It lacks of the recording feature for supersource content.

If DRP-File, created by ATEM, would contain information for supersource and Davinci Resolve is able to read these informations and apply a supersource layout, then it would be fine by me.

Plug Output to Input sure is a good workaround, but still not a solution for the fix.

Best regards
Floh

Darryl

PostMon Aug 15, 2022 10:06 am

floh79 wrote:
Howard Roll wrote:https://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?t=140092&p=754392

Good Luck

Plug Output to Input sure is a good workaround, but still not a solution for the fix.

Best regards
Floh

It's a workaround, but not a good one. What's recorded isn't editable.

At the moment I am manually recreating the Supersource layout as I can't see any other option given that the event is over and recording is finished. Fortunately for me I only used Supersource in one 20 minute segment and not throughout the entire 2 hour program.

Darryl
Darryl Severn

Kit:

Darryl

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 4:18 am

Found another gotcha.

I configured one of the USK's as a DVE overlay in the bottom right corner so that we could see both the Powerpoint slide and the presenter. I clipped both sides so as to reduce the amount of the slide being covered. The DVE overlay was transferred into Resolve, but not the clipping.

Darryl
Darryl Severn

Kit:

Darryl

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 7:57 am

floh79 wrote:

Good Luck
The fact is still the same: It lacks of the recording feature for supersource content.

If DRP-File, created by ATEM, would contain information for supersource and Davinci Resolve is able to read these informations and apply a supersource layout, then it would be fine by me.

Best regards
Floh

Floh,

I have deconstructed the JSON in the drp file created by the ATEM, and there is nothing in there at all related to supersource. The opening line lists 14 sources and not one of them is the supersource. Black is listed as the first source (index 0), and in the timeline events where supersource was used, black is the source that is given.

With the USK DVE's positioning and sizing information is given, but there isn't even a hint of that information for supersource.

For my next project, I will try to use the USK's to recreate what I did with supersource. It was only a background with 2 video sources. If that doesn't work, I will manually add the recording of Program Out to the project and slice those shots in at the appropriate points. It won't be editable except for shortening the length of the clip, and will be stuck at using the 1080p mp4 instead of braw, but it's an option.

Another gotcha I found is on the DVE's in the USK's. Cropping data is not recorded in the drop.

Darryl
Darryl Severn

Kit:

floh79

PostTue Aug 16, 2022 8:51 am

Hi, thank you for your information. I didn't order an ATEM with SuperSource yet, so I cannot test myself. (I'm waiting till IBC, then I'll order 1-2 ATEMs)

Best regards
Floh

Darryl

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 9:26 pm

Hi Floh,

I've only just started using the ATEM myself. Bought that and 2 Studio Pro cameras to add to the collection. I'd sum my experience up by saying what the ATEM does it does well. It's what it doesn't do that I don't like.

Putting all the cameras and ISO's on the record button and creating a Resolve project is super smooth. It just works - until you get to the things that were left out.

BTW, the Resolve project is designed to work on the Cut page more than the Edit page. On the Cut page all the cameras and video sources are sync'd as soon as you load the project and you can drop replacement clips in exactly where they fit from a timecode perspective. On the Edit page, the multicam timeline needs to be manually created so you are left with trimming the in/out points of existing clips without a lot of effort preparing the multicam clip. That's a learning curve for me as I was very comfortable with the Edit page and had no reason to learn the Cut page - until now.
Darryl Severn

Kit:

Robert Baker

PostTue Aug 23, 2022 12:02 am

Darryl wrote:Hi Floh,

I've only just started using the ATEM myself. .... That's a learning curve for me as I was very comfortable with the Edit page and had no reason to learn the Cut page - until now.

I'm with you; not a fan of the CUT page. I do everything in the Edit page, even with the headaches of recreating the supersource settings.
Small List of my current toolset:

BMPCC6k - EVA1 - GH5 - Canon R - DaVinci Resolve Studio - Adobe CC - Sony Soundforge 11 - Izotope RX7 - Izotope Elements

Return to Live Production