Hyperdeck 8K Extreme

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

keithcrouch

Hyperdeck 8K Extreme

PostWed Aug 17, 2022 7:14 am

Hi all,

Got a Hyperdeck 8K question, does the quad 12G support both 2SI and Square division? I assumed it would handle a sync’s 4 x 12G SDI input as I need to record an 8K raster made up of 4x4K inputs but I can’t seem to make it work. The 4 12G inputs are coming from 4 Hyperdeck Studio Pros each with a 2160p50 output, but when I loop them into the 8K I can only get a single 4K image.

Second question, and depending on the answer of the above may not be relevant! If square division isn’t supported does anyone know if the Teranex Mini 8K can convert from 2SI to Square Division on its SDI in and out? Reading the specs it sounds like it might be able to?

Thanks all in advance

Keith

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Hyperdeck 8K Extreme

PostThu Aug 18, 2022 4:44 am

Unfortunately, the HyperDeck 8K Extreme does not support Square Division for its Quad Link 12G SDI inputs. It only supports 2SI as discussed in this earlier thread: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=96556

This is also mentioned in the Multi Rate Support item in the Standards section of the Tech Specs page which only mentions "2SI Quad Link 12G-SDI": https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... s/W-HYD-08

And as for the Teranex Mini 8K converters, while they accept both 2SI and Square Division for their Quad Link SDI inputs, they don't have any options for configuring the output format. So for the loop through SDI outputs, I believe the Quad Link SDI format is the same as the input (so 2SI in would yield 2SI out of the loop through outputs and similarly for Square Division).

The four HDMI outputs on the Teranex Mini SDI to HDMI 8K model are always square division/quad split as I believe that is the only format supported over HDMI (I don't think there is a 2SI equivalent mapping over HDMI). And the Teranex Mini SDI to DisplayPort 8K model outputs 8K over a single DisplayPort connector, so there is no quad connector output mapping for the converted output on that model.

The DeckLink 8K Pro cards do support both 2SI and Square Division for both Quad Link 12G SDI input and output, so you might be able to use two of these cards in a computer to do a Square Division input to 2SI output conversion.

AstroDesign has an 8K SDI cross converter that seems to support both 2SI and Square Division according to the specs: https://www.astrodesign.co.jp/english/product/sc-8229
I don't think Blackmagic has anything comparable at the moment (and nor do many of the other major video hardware manufacturers for that matter).

Return to Live Production