Teranex Analog to SDI/SDI Extreme ISO, trying to levels set

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

tonysprague

Teranex Analog to SDI/SDI Extreme ISO, trying to levels set

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 5:22 pm

We're deploying one of the new SDI Extreme ISO switchers, and bring audio to that device from a Behringer X32 by using a Teranex Analog to SDI converter as embedding the audio in a camera source isn't feasible for this location.

The signal flow works correctly, but I need a lot more level into the Atem to make it usable for productions. From the X32, we're sending a L/R bus to the Teranex and I've set the fader on the bus to a level that's the same as what we used with a Tricaster in the past. At the Teranex, I've added 10 db of level and even with that addition, the Atem is seeing this audio at about -40 db so its barely audible when monitoring on the Atem. I have another 10 db or so of play at the Atem, but I'm still not close to getting the level of audio needed to make it usable in a production. Any suggestions of where to check in the pipeline for a setting that might need adjustment?

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Teranex Analog to SDI/SDI Extreme ISO, trying to levels

PostSat Aug 20, 2022 9:20 am

When using a digital audio mixer that has a digital audio output (like the AES/EBU output on the Behringer X32), I'd recommend sending the AES digital output into the Teranex Mini, rather than sending an analog signal.

Sending digital audio skips an unnecessary digital to analog (and back to digital) conversion step. And it also avoids the need to do analog level matching, worry about the amount of headroom on the analog input stage of the next device in the chain, risk a chance of clipping, and other such issues. So whatever digital audio signal level is output from the mixer (in dBFS with 0 dB as a hard maximum) would be exactly what shows up at the converter and into the ATEM switcher.

If you really need to use the analog audio outputs for some reason (because perhaps you don't have a digital audio output available on the mixer), then you probably just need to output an analog signal at a much higher level. It sounds like you are sending an analog audio signal with a nominal level closer to mic level (-50 dBu) rather than professional line level (+4 dBu) as used by the Teranex Mini (and many of the ATEM switchers). With SMPTE alignment levels, +4 dBu analog is comparable to -20 dBFS in digital; the EBU reference levels are slightly different; see the following article for details:
https://www.soundonsound.com/sound-advi ... io-systems

You may also want to take a look at this earlier thread discussing audio input levels into the ATEM switchers: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=89687

Alar Suija

PostSun Aug 21, 2022 6:16 am

As said before, use X32's AES/EBU out. Or, if You want for some reasons (clocking etc) use analog, start with setting unity gain.
X32 have test tone generator, set it @ 1kHz -18 dBFS and You get +4 dBu (1.23V) at output. You can check output level, feeding output back to mixer input at unity gain, You must read -18 dBFS then at the channel meter (or -21dBFS at mix bus, because pan law).

Then calibrate next stage gain (Teranex) to get -18dBFS after A/D.

Best!

tonysprague

PostSun Aug 21, 2022 7:15 pm

Thanks for the feedback, I'll give these suggestions a review to see if one could work better than the current configuration

Return to Live Production