Lens Correction

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

sonisphere

Lens Correction

PostFri Aug 19, 2022 12:14 pm

Hi Developer, Please consider adding lens correction to the Item mini series switchers.

The quality of GoPros have increased tremendously and I used them a lot. I use two pocket 6K cameras with two Gopro 7 Blacks mounted to them. This gives me a wide and variable telephoto shot to cut to when moving the camera. In DaVinci I lens correct the Gopro's image and send to the client (usually dance recitals). The challenge is the live feed to the Internet and iso recordings have the fish eye lens warp on the GoPro feed. If The item could lens correct I would not even need to process in DaVinci I could broadcast live and hand the client the program recording from the Stem Mini Iso.

Please consider this feature. Have a great day.

darin

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Lens Correction

PostSat Aug 20, 2022 4:21 am

Can't you set the field of view (FOV) settings in the GoPro to something like Linear (rather than Wide or SuperView) so that you get more of a rectilinear output from the camera?

It doesn't really make a ton of sense to build a whole bunch of camera/lens specific corrections into a video switcher as these corrections are camera and lens-specific and would need to be continuously updated as new camera and lens models are released. These types of corrections can also be somewhat resource intensive to support in a live multi-channel video switcher (which would need to be capable doing multiple transformations simultaneously since it has multiple video inputs).

It generally makes more sense for these types of lens-specific corrections to be done in-camera which is how many DSLR and mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras handle things (at least for non-RAW video output). And most of the recent GoPro models offer some adjustments along these lines with their different FOV options as well.

sonisphere

Re: Lens Correction

PostSat Sep 03, 2022 12:34 am

Davinci transforms the lens correction with one adjustment field. When using multiple different cameras with different interpretations of lens warping or to create an effect pulling the same lens transform algorithm from Davinci into the ATEM mini doesn't seem a monumental task.

Return to Live Production