Iso file sizes

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Milen Mladenov

Iso file sizes

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 10:50 am

Hey guys!

Is there a way to change the bitrate of the recorded iso files? I can't seem to find a way. Currently, they are around 70mb/s if I am not mistaken. The project is a reality show with around 30 cameras and the data rates are around 10TB per day. This is kind of hard for the team to handle considering the fact that the show runs for a month. Do you have any insights on how we can solve this issue?

Cheers,
Milen
Last edited by Milen Mladenov on Sat Oct 08, 2022 5:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ManchesterV

Re: Iso file sizes

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 4:54 pm

The data rate for ISO files is directly linked to the video frame rate.

60P makes the highest files.
30P reduces the data rate.

There are no other controls for the ISO data rate.

If you don't need 70mbps you could batch convert in Handbrake - takes a while but usually bulletproof.

Milen Mladenov

PostMon Oct 03, 2022 9:01 pm

ManchesterV wrote:The data rate for ISO files is directly linked to the video frame rate.

60P makes the highest files.
30P reduces the data rate.

There are no other controls for the ISO data rate.

If you don't need 70mbps you could batch convert in Handbrake - takes a while but usually bulletproof.

Thanks for your input, man! Yep, I have figured this things as well but this is not a very sustainable option. Transcoding 12 hours or more footage from 30 cameras for each day is not optimal by any means.

Cheers,
Milen

PavelKolev

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 11:41 am

Milen Mladenov wrote:Hey guys!

Is there a way to change the bitrate of the recorded iso files? I can't seem to find a way. Currently, they are around 70mb/s if I am not mistaken. The project is a reality show with around 30 cameras and the data rates are around 350GB per day. This is kind of hard for the team to handle considering the fact that the show runs for a month. Do you have any insights on how we can solve this issue?

Cheers,
Milen

Same problem here? Did you find any solution?

Milen Mladenov

PostThu Oct 06, 2022 5:15 pm

PavelKolev wrote:

Is there a way to change the bitrate of the recorded iso files? I can't seem to find a way. Currently, they are around 70mb/s if I am not mistaken. The project is a reality show with around 30 cameras and the data rates are around 350GB per day. This is kind of hard for the team to handle considering the fact that the show runs for a month. Do you have any insights on how we can solve this issue?

Cheers,
Milen

Same problem here? Did you find any solution?

Hey man!
No currently no solution to the problem. Does anyone have some other insights? BMD could we expect this to be addressed in a future update?

Cheers,
Milen

Darryl

PostSat Oct 08, 2022 2:30 am

Cheers,
Milen

Hi Milen,

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here as these sorts of file sizes go with the territory. I have just finished a 2+ hour event with 4 cameras and 4 video sources with 213GB just for the ISO files, without adding the camera original files shot at 4K Raw. Another 45 minute shoot recently was 79GB.

If you are getting 350Gb for a full day with 30 cameras I am actually confused. I would expect very low quality video at that rate, yet quality isn't troubling you - file size is. The question you need to resolve first is what you are willing to trade off - file size versus quality versus speed particularly but there will also be tech and storage questions that you will have to balance out. The ISO files are 1080 mp4 so you are already dealing with a significantly smaller file size than 4K raw from cameras.
Darryl Severn
The Videoverse by Darbeth
Livestreaming, Conferences, Info & Education, Events

Kit:
BMPCC 4K, Studio Cam 4K Pro, ATEM Mini Extreme ISO, Resolve Studio
DJI Inspire 2, Panasonic HCPV100,
Behringer XR16, Sennheiser XSW

Milen Mladenov

PostSat Oct 08, 2022 5:31 pm

Darryl wrote:

Cheers,
Milen

Hi Milen,

I am not sure what you are trying to achieve here as these sorts of file sizes go with the territory. I have just finished a 2+ hour event with 4 cameras and 4 video sources with 213GB just for the ISO files, without adding the camera original files shot at 4K Raw. Another 45 minute shoot recently was 79GB.

If you are getting 350Gb for a full day with 30 cameras I am actually confused. I would expect very low quality video at that rate, yet quality isn't troubling you - file size is. The question you need to resolve first is what you are willing to trade off - file size versus quality versus speed particularly but there will also be tech and storage questions that you will have to balance out. The ISO files are 1080 mp4 so you are already dealing with a significantly smaller file size than 4K raw from cameras.

Hey Darryl,

You are absolutely right! I made a mistake. We are talking about 10TB per day and that is for 30 days straight. Now, that's a lot of footage. This is where if you can set a smaller bitrate to the files it makes a huge difference. Now it requires tons of transcoding after each day of shooting.

Cheers,
Milen

Return to Live Production