ATEM - recording on SSD but read file directly from mac

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

totema

ATEM - recording on SSD but read file directly from mac

PostSun Oct 02, 2022 2:52 pm

Hi to all,

i m new on this forum, i tried to looking for info for my problem but i didn't find anything.

i image that my question is for dummies or noobs but i checked on many forum whit out find a solution.

i bought Atem extreme iso pro. it 's a perfect system for my work, but i need to resolve a problem on recording files.

i connected a hard disk ssd (samsumg) on my Atem, i work and record the file on ssd. After when i need to work on the files I have to unplug the ssd and reconnect it to the pc.

I tried to put a switch between ssd, Atem and pc, so that with when the Atem is off, the pc can read the external ssd but this solution it doesn't work.

is there a way read files on ssd without attaching and detaching the hard disk from atem and pc? or is it possible recording file directly on the pc?

i accept any alternative suggestions that you would give me for better register with atem

randyd

Re: ATEM - recording on SSD but read file directly from mac

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 5:01 am

you can ftp the files over the ethernet from the ATEN to your computer. Search Youtube for ATEM FTP. Alex Petit and Aaron Pereki have some good videos on it.

Cybershadow

PostTue Oct 04, 2022 8:41 am

totema wrote:I tried to put a switch between ssd, Atem and pc, so that with when the Atem is off, the pc can read the external ssd but this solution it doesn't work.
This will not work. Despite USB-C having interchangeable plugs, USB still has a single Host that can connect multiple devices (when using USB Hubs). Either your Mac or the ATEM can be host to the disk, not both at the same time.

However, there are manual USB switches. You connect both hosts and the device to that switch and have push a button to switch between the hosts. That way you don't have to physically unplug the cables. https://www.galaxus.de/de/s1/product/li ... lsrc=aw.ds
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Jens Willmroth

raitioneulon

PostTue Nov 08, 2022 5:19 am

If you are using the SSD for writing and reading, you might find it a little slower than the SATA drive. SSDs use a different architecture. While a hard disk drive has spinning metal and magnetic plates that are used for storing information, an SSD has a controller chip that is connected to flash memory chips on which information is stored. The controller chip is used to read data from and write to the memory chips. The memory chips in an SSD lay out the data in small blocks. The controller chip then spreads the information across the memory chips to improve the data access time. Although SSDs have a faster speed, they have a limitation on the number of times they can rewrite the same data. This is called the write cycle, and is usually in the range of 10,000 to 50,000 times. This is the reason why SSDs are generally used where the data to be written is less and not constantly changing. This can also be the reason why you feel that the SSD is slower than the SATA dom.

totema

PostMon Nov 14, 2022 10:41 pm

tks to all.

sorry for my delay to replay. i m going to try both solution and i will come back with my
favorite

Return to Live Production