ATEM Mini Pro audio issue

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Tweedtone

ATEM Mini Pro audio issue

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 1:02 pm

Hello all, thanks for having me.

What is the best way of getting audio to feed the ATEM Mini Pro when the audios from the cameras HDMI's are not an option?

I'm sending signal from the mixer aux to MIC1 but I always get some noise even toggling from mic2line, phones in the mixer aux sound fine, phones in the ATEM Mini Pro headphone tap get a little noise.

I'm rookie in streaming, maybe there is a "best Practice" I'm not aware of?
Can somebody help a stranger?
Thanks
JF

Darryl

Re: ATEM Mini Pro audio issue

PostFri Oct 07, 2022 11:37 pm

To restate the obvious, this is an audio not video/switcher problem, and is something that can happen with equipment other than an ATEM, and can happen to anyone.

The type of noise will help with diagnosis. If it sounds like static/hash then that is usually a bad cable or connection, but could also be the cable picking up interference from somewhere. Try shaking the cable to see if the noise changes. Change the sockets it is plugged into at both ends. Try a different cable. Plug it into another amp/speaker.

If it is more a constant hum, then that is much harder to sort out. Could be a lot of things but the first thing to check is an Earth loop. Plug the mixer and ATEM into the same power point and see if it disappears. They can be hard to track down unfortunately! With musos we often get earth loops, particularly guitarists, and the DI boxes we use have switches on them for this purpose and if we get a hum we just flip that switch and see if it goes away. (Doesn't always work! Sometimes the hum disappears while they have their fingers on the strings and comes back when they aren't playing! Very unpredictable)
Darryl Severn
The Videoverse by Darbeth
Livestreaming, Conferences, Info & Education, Events

Kit:
BMPCC 4K, Studio Cam 4K Pro, ATEM Mini Extreme ISO, Resolve Studio
DJI Inspire 2, Panasonic HCPV100,
Behringer XR16, Sennheiser XSW

Cybershadow

PostMon Oct 10, 2022 9:24 am

The MIC inputs of the ATEM Minis are unsymmetrical stereo inputs when switched to Line.

When connecting to a mixer with symmetrical XLR outputs, you need a dual XLR to TRS mini jack cable. This connection will be unsymmetrical and pick up noise. That's why you want this cable to be as short as possible. If your mixer has a 2TRK output, that's what you want to connect to your ATEM, because it's a consumer level unsymmetrical output.

If you still experience noise, it can be a due to ground loop. A cheap ground loop isolator can help with that.
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Jens Willmroth

Darryl

PostWed Oct 19, 2022 10:32 pm

Cybershadow wrote:The MIC inputs of the ATEM Minis are unsymmetrical stereo inputs when switched to Line.

When connecting to a mixer with symmetrical XLR outputs, you need a dual XLR to TRS mini jack cable. This connection will be unsymmetrical and pick up noise. That's why you want this cable to be as short as possible. If your mixer has a 2TRK output, that's what you want to connect to your ATEM, because it's a consumer level unsymmetrical output.

If you still experience noise, it can be a due to ground loop. A cheap ground loop isolator can help with that.

Hi Jens,

It's not as simple as keeping the cable short although that can only help. Once you connect unbalanced lines, the earth from the mains power comes into play. Unbalanced lines were developed specifically to take that out of play, even if you use unbalanced lines direct from the mixer. Ground loops are another issue as you mentioned, but you can only get ground loops when you have two pieces of equipment connected together. (I hope we are talking about the same thing and just different terminology due to different languages.)

Darryl
Darryl Severn
The Videoverse by Darbeth
Livestreaming, Conferences, Info & Education, Events

Kit:
BMPCC 4K, Studio Cam 4K Pro, ATEM Mini Extreme ISO, Resolve Studio
DJI Inspire 2, Panasonic HCPV100,
Behringer XR16, Sennheiser XSW

Return to Live Production