Mac System Prefs 'Sound Output' to ATEM Mini Pro HDMI Fail

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jduvick

Mac System Prefs 'Sound Output' to ATEM Mini Pro HDMI Fail

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 5:38 pm

Summary: I cannot get HDMI audio into an ATEM Mini Pro from a Mac computer using the USB3 ports, possibly because the System Preferences for Sound Output fail to recognize the BMD ATEM correctly. However, video
stream is normal via the same connection.

Hardware
-ATEM Mini Pro, firmware up to date; ATEM controller software 8.6.5 (latest)
-iMac Intel running MacOS 12.6.1 (latest) and M1 MacBook Pro running 12.6

Test steps
1) Plug USB to HDMI dongle into Mac USB3 port
2) Connect this via HDMI cable to ATEM Mini Pro's HDMI input 1
3) Connect ATEM Mini Pro HDMI out to 1080p monitor, select Multiview
4) Configure Mac monitor in System Prefs for multidisplay (non-mirror)
5) Verify that computer's video signal is passed to ATEM input 1 and viewable on Multiview
6) Call Mac System Prefs -> Sound, and select 'Output' tab
Output options listed:
HDMI Output (in the past, this would be listed as 'BMD ATEM' - sign of an issue here?
Speakers
External Headphones
7) Select 'HDMI Output'
8) Test various sound sources on the Mac: Microphone input, Music, Zoom speaker test.
Result: No sound is passed to the ATEM Mini

My goal is to stream a Zoom call including sound from others in the call . When I go to Zoom preferences and 'Select speaker' - here again 'HDMI Output' is the only option and no sound passed from a Zoom 'Test Speaker' or Zoom conversation even though video is normal and nothing is muted (yes I know my own Zoom sound will not be passed locally).

Other tests run unsuccessfully
- I tested this on both iMac Intel running 12.6.1 and M1 MBP running 12.6
- I also tested both an Anker USB3-HDMI dongle and a multiport USB3 dongle that includes HDMI out
- I tried all the available USB ports on both PCs
- I tried all ATEM inputs 1 - 4
- I tested multiple HDMI cables all of which are recent
- I restarted the Mac multiple times

Other tests to eliminate ATEM harware issue
- I tried the MBP's direct HDMI out to ATEM input-- this works fine for both audio and video

This setup worked as recently as 2 weeks ago, and I have used a similar setup over the past 2 years with no issues of this sort. I'm mystified but I suspect there may be an issue with the handshake to ATEM that fails to identify it correctly in System Prefs.

Anyone have any ideas what might be going on? My workaround is to pass the Mac headphone out audio to the BMD Mic1 input, but then I have to be careful to mute manually because there is no AFV option when I switch video inputs.

Thx
Jon

ManchesterV

Re: Mac System Prefs 'Sound Output' to ATEM Mini Pro HDMI Fa

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 8:44 pm

If you connect the HDMI out from the USB dongle to a TV instead of the ATEM does the audio work via the TV?

Essentially bypassing and eliminating the ATEM.

jduvick

Re: Mac System Prefs 'Sound Output' to ATEM Mini Pro HDMI Fa

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 10:44 pm

ManchesterV wrote:If you connect the HDMI out from the USB dongle to a TV instead of the ATEM does the audio work via the TV?

Essentially bypassing and eliminating the ATEM.

Yes - thanks for reminding me. Curious result. - I do get audio out but it's garbled/broken up (in a digital way, not a loose analog connection way). I'm using an audio extractor since my monitor does not have a headphone out, but I don't think that's to blame. The type of garbling was different with the two types of dongles I tried, which is even weirder.

Return to Live Production