SMPTE Fiber Power

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

soloblazer

SMPTE Fiber Power

PostMon Nov 28, 2022 10:34 pm

I have a question about the BM Ursa Broadcast G2 camera using SMPTE. I am currently able to use the camplex SMPTE to ST fiber breakouts and run 2x ST Fibers between the cameras and have full control, but I have to power the camera locally. My question is what is the power requirements for the camera via the SMPTE, I would like to add a power supply at the ST fiber to SMPTE converter. I know telecast makes a unit to do this that very expensive. Has anyone done this before?

Asgeir Hustad

Re: SMPTE Fiber Power

PostWed Nov 30, 2022 8:57 pm

In general, I think both sides of that link requires some communication. At least I know BMDs units do some checks to make sure there are no risks of electrocution / fire, and hotwiring something yourself may be borderline illegal depending on your area.

I believe the voltage BMD runs on is 200V AC (ref the tech specs page), and some other camera systems run up to 400V AC.

If you already have the SMPTE fiber backs, I'd invest in the rack side units from BMD rather than risks it with a homebrew solution.

soloblazer

PostThu Dec 01, 2022 6:11 pm

I do have the rack side units, and use them often, but sometimes I go into a area where getting SMPTE to camera is not feasible, but the the venue has Fiber already so I use the SMPTE to fiber breakouts by complex, and they work great with the cameras, I just have to power the camera locally.

Xtreemtec

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 11:12 am

260V DC with a lot of protection communication.

But i have heard that you can just connect 2 fibers and plug in the DC power supply into the 4Pin XLR of the Body and should work. Including powering the Fiber converter.

Have not seen this myself as we do not own those. But somebody mentioned this is possible. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

soloblazer

PostFri Dec 02, 2022 3:31 pm

Xtreemtec wrote:260V DC with a lot of protection communication.

But i have heard that you can just connect 2 fibers and plug in the DC power supply into the 4Pin XLR of the Body and should work. Including powering the Fiber converter.

Have not seen this myself as we do not own those. But somebody mentioned this is possible. ;)

This is how I do it now, works great, just thought if I could add power back into the SMPTE near the camera it would make only having to run SMPTE to camera instead of power as well.

Robert Schemitsch

PostMon Dec 05, 2022 10:04 am

You could place the CCU next to the camera ;)

Return to Live Production