DeckLink 8K Pro - Port assignment

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

floh79

DeckLink 8K Pro - Port assignment

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 9:35 am

Hello,

are there manual for the DeckLink 8K Pro cards? I'm still trying to find out the port numbers since its not in the order, something like 2, 1, 4, 3 I believe...
Until now I always have to try all ports till I got a video signal and while events I have few time so I couldn't write document about that.

I'd be happy if blackmagic would add the port numbers to the image:
https://images.blackmagicdesign.com/ima ... 1526275276

If you look at the configuration in Blackmagic Desktop Video Setup, there are four "cards" and on Connector-Tab you see the assignment to SDI port(?) as following:
  • DeckLink 8K Pro (1) => SDI 1
  • DeckLink 8K Pro (2) => SDI 3
  • DeckLink 8K Pro (3) => SDI 2
  • DeckLink 8K Pro (4) => SDI 4

As you see the number 2 and 3 are swapped. Why?

Blackmagic devs could use 4 different images for each DeckLink 8K Pro "card" in Desktop Video Setup. And on each image there, a specific port could be highlighted by color or so. This would make it more UX-friendlier and we don't have to find out which number is which physical port. The devs could do that same for all other DeckLink cards like DeckLink Quad 2 with 8 ports. :?

Maybe I'll find time this week to find out that and then I'd post here (maybe with a image which ports are numbered what number).

Best regards
Floh

Mike Ambrose

Re: DeckLink 8K Pro - Port assignment

PostThu Jul 07, 2022 10:16 am

This is a long-standing complaint from the community about all the DeckLink cards. The port order you're looking for is 1 3 2 4.

General speculation is that this is a holdover from some of their earlier generation cards where there were two input and two output ports. Each worked in tandem so it was 1 & 3 and in & out and 2 & 4 as in & out. The ports were physically next to each other because of this.

It's also worth noting that the 4 ports don't act fully independently. If one pair is put into key/fill mode the other pair must also be linked. This is different from the Duo 2 (which on the surface seems like an identical 1080 version) where all 4 ports are truly independent.

Some more discussion: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=91734

floh79

PostSat Jul 09, 2022 2:07 pm

Hello, thank you for your reply. You're right, the physical ports are in that order, starting next of the ref-connection:
  • DeckLink 8K Pro (1)
  • DeckLink 8K Pro (3)
  • DeckLink 8K Pro (2)
  • DeckLink 8K Pro (4)

For everyone else if you're asking the same, here the image with Port assignment:
Decklink-Port_Assignment.png
Decklink-Port_Assignment.png (35.16 KiB) Viewed 2040 times

Whereas "Port #" = "DeckLink 8K Pro (#)"

Best regards
Floh

cchi_bmd

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 5:33 pm

Does anyone know how to connect an 8K signal?
When connecting to AJA Kona5 8K, with trial and error, the correct order seems to be from AJA 1-2-3-4 to Decklink 8k Pro 4-2-3-1 (as labeled in the picture). So top to bottom.
Can any confirm that it is in fact supposed to be like that?

Documentation on this aspect is pretty lacking to say the least...

Xtreemtec

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 9:29 am

With 8K it should not be trail and error as for Quadlink 4K and Quadlink 12G there is a SMPTE standard that says everyone needs to include a Link Flag. The Flag indicates if it is Link A B C D. And the hardware should switch accordingly to make it a proper signal. ;)

But guess that things like that are not always followed trough to make it 100% compatible
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production