Super Low Audio Levels - ATEM Mini Extreme ISO

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

jhurlbut

Super Low Audio Levels - ATEM Mini Extreme ISO

PostTue Aug 30, 2022 8:58 pm

Hi all,

New ATEM user here. I'm live-streaming using the following setup:

[list=]Shure SM7B Microphone via XLR to RodeCaster Pro II
RodeCaster Pro II Studio Monitor Outputs to ATEM Mini Extreme ISO Via 1/4" L/R audio cables into 3.5mm Mic 1 Input on the ATEM Mini Extreme ISO
Sony a7iv via HDMI to ATEM
Sony a6400 via HDMI to ATEM
GoPro Hero 10 via HDMI to ATEM
ATEM via USB-C to Mac Studio with M1 Ultra
EVMUX to LiveStream out to Facebook & YouTube[/list]

When I'm streaming, I can see the levels on the RodeCaster are fine with the Mic inputs and I've cranked the Studio Monitor Output to max into the ATEM. The volume on the LiveStreams are fine, everyone can hear us, and no complaints on the audio levels. However when I grab the Audio Recording off the SSD that I attach to the ATEM, the levels are SUPER low. Like when I pull the recording into Adobe Audition the peak level is like -20dB. I've tried upping the Mic 1 level in the ATEM Control software but that doesn't seem to do anything to the level of the audio going out to the livestream OR on the SSD.

Does anyone have any suggestions for boosting the Audio levels? Also the audio levels are the same volume in the Davinci Resolve project as well. I'm not sure what to do to boost it. Any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated. Yes I can boost them in post production, but I'm trying to speed up my workflow. Thanks!

jtip1025

Re: Super Low Audio Levels - ATEM Mini Extreme ISO

PostSat Jan 28, 2023 6:09 am

I’m having the same problem. Were you able to correct this?

eMilty

PostTue Jan 31, 2023 6:02 pm

You are saying that you use the "Studio Monitor Outputs", are these the two 1/4" jack connections labeled 1/R and 2R with the speaker symbol above them?

These are two balanced audio outputs (for left and right) and are not really suitable to go straight into the ATEM Mini. The ATEM Mini has a 1/8" mini jack that is unbalanced. Although it's possible to connect them directly you will need the proper cable for it. Most likely you will need to make it yourself.

Beter is to use a balanced to unbalanced converter. These are available as passive boxes that don't require any power. All they are is usually just a high quality 1:1 transformer properly wired. Often they can be used in both directions. Personally I like the Radial StageBug SB-6 which can do this but there are many different brands that have similar devices.

Alar Suija

PostThu Feb 16, 2023 5:12 am

Hello,
Rodecaster Pro has weird output levels- max is +3 dBu, so basically this is 20 dB lower, then "normal" mixer output (usually +24 dBu or similar). Keep this in mind.
You can plug it directly to any -10 dBu capable input (of course, passive DI's are good idea, or ferrite rings at least), i use mine mostly directly connected to old mac mini analog input for radio streaming (BUTT) without any problem.

RobertVB

PostSun Mar 05, 2023 9:43 pm

We are using an ATEM Mini Extreme also. The audio levels on our stream have always been quite a bit lower than other YouTube content. The feed is from an AUX output of a X32 (RCA connectors) into MIC1 on the ATEM. Input level in the ATEM is set at -44 dB. The MIC1 fader (in the software control) is nailed as is the main level. There's some compression on the main and we get the levels 'in the red' on the video monitor VUs. The levels are better on the stream except when the band gets loud - then the compressor crushes everything seriously.

Today's YouTube stream - Grace Bible Church - loud starts at 6:20-ish

Being an old-time audio guy, I have very little knowledge of the stream process and am having difficulty understanding the signal chain here....

avhjunior

PostThu Mar 09, 2023 6:40 am

I'll offer some things I've learned from the forum and experience-

1.) You can try cables that will go from balanced to unbalanced as long as you don't have noise (either ground loop hum or induced EMI). Then you need a converter.

2.) In Software Control you have options to change the MIC inputs- mic, line, stereo, etc.

3.) The level meters in Software Control are post-fader, not post-preamp. So whatever choices you make in both points above you want to adjust the gain knob so you see movement of the level meters. If the meters are fixed at whatever level you set the fader then you are clipping the preamp. For example if using MIC1 set the fader to unity and then adjust the preamp gain knob until you see movement following the audio input with meter levels around 2/3 the way up.

In our set up we take stereo from our sound board via two balanced outputs. We have a cable that goes from the two balanced plugs to the 1/8" stereo plug. It's 6' long and we don't have noise. We set MIC1 to 'line' and our gain knob is around 2'oclock. We keep the MIC1 and Master faders at unity.

We have the mini extreme ISO and find our sound levels on youtube to be a bit low. We try to keep the MIC1 meter peaking into the red a little by either adjusting the gain knob or the board output level. We don't use the EQ or dynamics in the ATEM.

For us it's not set and forget. Going from band to a single speaker the levels change a lot. So we make adjustments during the live stream. Typically this is done by the broadcast mixer or the FOH mixer if we don't have broadcast manned. They watch the output level from their boards.

Cybershadow

PostThu Mar 09, 2023 8:11 am

RobertVB wrote:Input level in the ATEM is set at -44 dB.

This tells me you've not configured the MIC1 Input to line level.
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Jens Willmroth

Alar Suija

PostThu Mar 09, 2023 1:27 pm

Keep 10 dB (analog) headroom in input and use markup gain on master channel limiter, program peaks up to -3 dBFS.
Multi stage dynamics reduction is key.

DeltaWaterBravo94

PostMon Apr 03, 2023 5:20 am

Maybe some of this info will help in some way. Note I'm using the ATEM Mini Pro, not extreme ISO. However, I think the audio section will be similar.

For my Livestream, my video is via 2 PTZ cameras from HDMI, no audio here intentionally as the cameras have no audio input. My audio comes from my audio mixer, the Soundcraft Ui16 virtual digital mixer. I'm getting my audio through a pair of linked master auxiliaries from the mixer that is dual mono (treated as pseudo stereo), it goes through a Presonus Studio 68c interface into my Mac Mini M2. I'm processing the audio within Studio One 6 Artist DAW, and then sending it back to the USB interface to the ATEM audio input 1 as dual mono line level. I have left and right side hard panned (left is hard left, right hard right).

Within my S1 DAW, I'm sending audio into a brick wall limiter, pushing peaks to -1.5 dBFS but average is about -10 dBFS. The output cable from the interface is a 1/4 inch double TS to single 1/8th inch TRS plugging into channel 1 audio on the ATEM.

The ATEM audio mixer is only passing the audio through to the HDMI output and the Livestream encoder. This means my ATEM faders are at 0 (unity), gain at 0 as well. Left and right pan again are hard left and right respectively. EQ is flat here as well as no compression or limiter. My audio already has that from the DAW. I do use the ATEM audio frame delay however to attempt to sync to HDMI.

My Livestream is going to Vimeo and then YouTube now, while an audio/video from the ATEM goes back to the Mac via the USB C to feed Zoom Meeting concurrently with Vimeo. Same setup a few months ago, same audio settings but direct to YouTube without Vimeo and it was decent then as well.

haz1414

PostTue Oct 10, 2023 5:18 pm

Anyone solve this, by chance?

Having the same issues with our ATEM Mini Pro ISO SDI. Our main full program audio recording sounds great, matches the levels shown during the session. However, the ISO MIC1 and MIC2 audio recordings are 10-20 dB lower than the session and the full program audio recording level.

Any insight would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
-H

Alar Suija

PostWed Oct 11, 2023 3:59 am

Digital domain levels are pushed too high.

Analog domain 0 VU = -18 (or -20) dBFS

What it means- correct gain keeps peaks below -10 dBFS

milt_jav1

PostThu Mar 28, 2024 2:46 pm

Hello,

I am live streaming from my church and the sound is very low although if you look at the meters they are peaking in yellow and sometimes red.

Let me explain my set up.

I use a Yamaha Tf 5. Inside the church there are no issues. Sound is excellent. However when I live stream to Facebook Live the sound is very very low. So, I use a Yamaha TF 5. The sound to the Atem goes from a Matrix in the TF5 directly to the Atem Mic 1. I am streaming directly to Facebook on an Atem Mini Pro.

I configure in the Atem settings the audio and selected Line. When I started streaming it would be in Mic and 48+ which is the default. The problem then was that the audio was way to loud. Now it's backwards the audio seems to be very low. I have tried different thing on the Yamaha console to see if something works without altering the mix in the church.

The digital numbers in the Atem in Mic 1 and the Output channel always are -10db or lower. Sometimes they change to -5db but most of the time they remain in those ranges. The Output level is also the same sometimes going -25db or lower. I have given to the digital knobs +5db to see if that helps, but the sound comes out muffled.

This is last nights service. https://fb.watch/r5e_P3C_0_/
My main issue is that I have no idea of monitoring the audio unless I am connected to the stream and have to wait the 30ss delay to see if something worked.

RRRoger

PostSat Apr 13, 2024 8:33 pm

RobertVB wrote:We are using an ATEM Mini Extreme also. The audio levels on our stream have always been quite a bit lower than other YouTube content. The feed is from an AUX output of a X32 (RCA connectors) into MIC1 on the ATEM. Input level in the ATEM is set at -44 dB. The MIC1 fader (in the software control) is nailed as is the main level. There's some compression on the main and we get the levels 'in the red' on the video monitor VUs. The levels are better on the stream except when the band gets loud - then the compressor crushes everything seriously.

Today's YouTube stream - Grace Bible Church - loud starts at 6:20-ish

Being an old-time audio guy, I have very little knowledge of the stream process and am having difficulty understanding the signal chain here....

Roger Martin, Videographer for Grace Community Church of Prunedale.
We LiveStream to YouTube and FaceBook thru Castr.
I have found very few mics that work well with our ATEMs.
Three best are Sennheister MKE 600 directional, MKE 200 multi directional, and Hollyland wireless lapel mic. No problem with volume, they are all very loud and clear. I only have to turn them down on the switcher to avoid clipping.

My biggest problem is getting audio from the mixer board to the ATEM in the Sanctuary. So far only a loud hummm.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 1:45 am

Hum will always be a connection issue between the source and destination. Often between balances and unbalanced signals. Please offer your source mixer type and output type and how it is wired to the ATEM. Usually you may need some form of isolation. There are a lot of experienced users here that may help. It should be easily solvable.

Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

RRRoger

PostSun Apr 14, 2024 4:41 pm

The sound board is Behringer X Air XR18 Tablet-Controlled Digital Mixer
We ran wires to my ATEM mini Extreme mic port.
We tried the "Phones out plug and speaker outputs.
I only get a loud Hmmmm?

Return to Live Production