Black screen when live streaming - ATEM Mini Pro

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

spyfire14

Black screen when live streaming - ATEM Mini Pro

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 5:53 pm

Hey all,

I have just purchased an ATEM Mini Pro for my church and was setting it all up today. Our sound desk has a switcher with a HDMI output. This HDMI output gets split to our projector and then to the Mini Pro. The projector still displays, however when I actually live stream from the Mini pro, I just get a blank screen when I have that HDMI input selected. I have loaded up an image to display which works fine.

Any suggestions?

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: Black screen when live streaming - ATEM Mini Pro

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 10:20 pm

Have you tried connecting the HDMI source directly to the ATEM Mini's HDMI input, without the HDMI splitter in between?

spyfire14

PostThu Aug 20, 2020 11:03 am

Dave Del Vecchio wrote:Have you tried connecting the HDMI source directly to the ATEM Mini's HDMI input, without the HDMI splitter in between?
I have just tried that with no luck! It still produces a black screen

Sent from my SM-G980F using Tapatalk

Gaparke

PostThu Aug 20, 2020 3:17 pm

I tried using a hdmi splitter feed from our Canon XA11 camera and the Mini Pro didn't recognize it. Going directly in, then it works fine.

As a test, I used a hdmi matrix switch with EDID management and the Pro split the signal fine through that.

So it is picky about the input it receives.

spyfire14

PostThu Aug 20, 2020 5:36 pm

Gaparke wrote:I tried using a hdmi splitter feed from our Canon XA11 camera and the Mini Pro didn't recognize it. Going directly in, then it works fine.

As a test, I used a hdmi matrix switch with EDID management and the Pro split the signal fine through that.

So it is picky about the input it receives.

I have tried connecting it direct from the switcher, without it going via a splitter, and that didn't work. I then tried connecting another device and that DID work using the same cable. Any ideas how I could get an output from that switcher?

Gaparke

PostFri Aug 21, 2020 1:46 pm

You probably have a resolution mis-match. The hdmi out from the switcher needs to match the input to the Pro.

Jim Simon

PostFri Aug 21, 2020 5:15 pm

With the original setup, do you see the source on the Multiview?
My Biases:

You NEED training.
You NEED a desktop.
You NEED a calibrated (non-computer) display.

spyfire14

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 9:38 pm

Update!

I have now managed to get it so that the projector now receives a 720p 60hz input from the switcher and so it is the required resolution for the ATEM Mini Pro. However, I still get a black screen!

Terence Kearns

PostWed Feb 01, 2023 2:25 am

How did you go? Did you find out what the problem is?

Different devices us varying degrees of power output for their HDMI ports. We couldn't get a signal from the camera upstairs in our church because the HDMI cable was too long. I grabbed one of those cheap ebay splitters with the 5V input and put in on the source end with another cable behind it and the switcher, by itself with nothing plugged into the secondary output, BOOSTED the power so that it reached our ATEM switch downstairs. It might by that the source device isn't putting out enough juice for the HDMI cable being used.
I know this topic is old, but in case somone with the same issue finds it via google (like I did), they will get to see this.

Return to Live Production