ATEM Mini Pro for Zoom with audio monitoring?

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

seeplanet

ATEM Mini Pro for Zoom with audio monitoring?

PostSat Sep 17, 2022 8:22 pm

Hoping to get a little guidance here as I am having trouble understanding how to get this to work. I have an ATEM Mini Pro with video coming in from a DSLR. Audio is coming in from a XLR mic passing through a Focusrite Scarlet interface which then goes into the Atem via Mic 1. The Atem is then connected via USB to my computer and all works.

I have this working fairly well and have adjusted the HDMI video lag by delaying the audio coming in, but as many others have noted, there is not a way for me to monitor my audio. I would really like to do that. So what am I missing in this setup? Do I need a mixer to mix the computer audio with the Atem audio?

I've seen others do this so I have to believe it can be done. Thanks for the advice.

RPC_NewYork

Re: ATEM Mini Pro for Zoom with audio monitoring?

PostThu Nov 24, 2022 1:16 pm

Assuming here that you want to monitor the program audio, which is why the Scarlet won't work for your purpose (even though it sounds like this is the exclusive audio source). Probably the simplest way to accomplish what you want is to acquire an HDMI Audio extractor and plug the HDMI out from your ATEM into that. You can then pass through the HDMI from the extractor to wherever you are sending it now.

seeplanet

PostThu Nov 24, 2022 1:27 pm

Thanks for the reply. I ended up throwing money at the problem and purchased an audio interface that had a monitor jack. :) The audio interface that goes into the eight Tim.

BennoZ

PostThu Nov 24, 2022 4:29 pm

There are also apps which you can install on your Mac/PC to monitor the audio. I’m using Ecamm for streaming, titles, video’s and remote callers and this software also allows you to monitor all incoming and outgoing audio.

Cybershadow

PostFri Nov 25, 2022 10:25 am

There are VoiceMeeter for PC and Loopback for Mac that let you route different audio sources to virtual input devices or physical output devices. That way you can monitor your own audio as well as listen to audio coming from Zoom without causing a feedback loop in Zoom. You just provide two different mixes: Your microphone and the Zoom audio to your headphones, your mic without the Zoom audio to a virtual input device used by Zoom.
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Jens Willmroth

RADNYD

PostMon Feb 06, 2023 5:45 pm

Will the Mic inputs on the ATEM accept the output from a mic mixer (it would be a line level output), so I don't know if the inputs can support the stronger signal strength?

BennoZ

PostTue Feb 07, 2023 4:21 am

Yes, but you have to switch the settings from mic to line level in Atem Software Control.

randyd

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 1:58 am

RADNYD wrote:Will the Mic inputs on the ATEM accept the output from a mic mixer (it would be a line level output), so I don't know if the inputs can support the stronger signal strength?

Be sure that if your mixer his a balanced output that you Convert the left/right signals to single-ended.

Cybershadow

PostWed Feb 08, 2023 8:40 am

For mixers with balanced 1/4" Jack outputs a cable like this works: https://www.thomann.de/gb/the_sssnake_ypk2030.htm

On a mixer with XLR outputs this cable is what you need:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/cordial_cfy3w ... okabel.htm

Be aware that th signal will be unbalanced using these cables. For cable runs more than a few meters, you're better off running balanced signals close to your switcher and install a passive DI Box in reverse:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/palmer_pan_04.htm

Or even an active level converter:
https://www.thomann.de/gb/art_cleanbox_pro.htm
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Jens Willmroth

webfoot

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 5:04 pm

I use Zoom every Sunday, what I do to monitor the audio in Zoom is to send myself an invite and use another computer (like a laptop) to be on the Zoom call. Then insert the headset into that computer. I am also using as my audio source an Aviom 1-16 coming from our Presonus 32ai mixer. I adjust the sound with the Aviom.

Raphaël Jacquot

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 10:24 am

seeplanet wrote:I have this working fairly well and have adjusted the HDMI video lag by delaying the audio coming in, but as many others have noted, there is not a way for me to monitor my audio. I would really like to do that. So what am I missing in this setup? Do I need a mixer to mix the computer audio with the Atem audio?

add an HDMI audio extractor on the multiview output, you should get program audio out

Return to Live Production