Best capture card to capture atem 1me on imac 5K retina 2015

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

MagnoBRasil

Best capture card to capture atem 1me on imac 5K retina 2015

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 1:29 pm

Hi I work in a studio and have been using ATEM television Studio for a long time for recording and streaming capturing over USB 2.0 in mp4 on iMac (Retina 5K, 27 inch, Late 2015)

it just stopped working and we need some help buying a capture card that will connect to our iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

we bought the ATEM 1ME but were disappointed because it doesn't capture.

So we need an ATEM 1 ME compatible capture card > compatible capture card > Mac (Retina 5K, 27 inch Late 2015)

Some suggestions remembering that the Imac is updated to OS 12.6.3 and has 2 thunderbolt 2 ports and 4 more USB 3 ports.

Cybershadow

Re: Best capture card to capture atem 1me on imac 5K retina

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 5:29 pm

The 1 M/E Constellation HD shows up as web cam in MacOS when plugged in via USB which should be recognized by any live streaming software. For a better recording quality, I'd suggest connecting a HyperDeck Studio HD Mini via SDI and recording in ProRes.
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Jens Willmroth

MagnoBRasil

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 6:51 pm

Cybershadow wrote:The 1 M/E Constellation HD shows up as web cam in MacOS when plugged in via USB which should be recognized by any live streaming software. For a better recording quality, I'd suggest connecting a HyperDeck Studio HD Mini via SDI and recording in ProRes.

Hi Jens thanks a lot for the help. When you pass through Brazil I'll be glad to buy you a beer. but I think you confused my ATEM IS THE ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4K and not the ATEM 1 M/E Constellation HD.

So my ATEM 1 M/E Production Studio 4k doesn't really capture, it only sends video and audio through the hdmi and sdi outputs. I need a suggestion for a capture card that accepts this heavy signal from atem and captures it on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27 inches, late 2015)

I'm thinking of buying the Elgato 60S+
or
UltraStudio HD Mini

Cybershadow

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 11:33 pm

The Ultra Studio HD Mini is a Thunderbolt 3 device and will not work on Thunderbolt 2. The Elgato capture Cards are consumer level devices. I've heard from multiple sources that the driver has stability issues, at least on PC.

One option is getting a Web Presenter 4K, which can directly stream to a streaming platform (like YouTube) and also act as a web cam up to ultra HD resolutions.

Your second option would be a professional grade capture device with USB3 connection, like the Magewell USB Capture SDI 4K Plus. All current external capture devices by Blackmagic use Thunderbolt 3 as their interface.

A third option is to replace the old Mac with a new one that supports Thunderbolt 3 and use an Ultra Studio.
Greetings from Hamburg, Germany
Jens Willmroth

Marcemoyano

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 4:39 pm

The Elgato HD60X has very good compatibility with Macs and works with USB 3.0. That's a good option.

I don't know if it will capture 5k tho.

Do you want to record at 1080p? Then if that's the case, this would work just fine.

Howard Roll

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 9:31 pm

I've got a couple Ultrastudio Expresses and a couple Ultrastudio Mini Recorders if you're interested. These are TB1/2 HD 1.5G only.

Good Luck

Return to Live Production