Issue with ATEM Mini Pro and Sony Cameras

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

clarkerz

Issue with ATEM Mini Pro and Sony Cameras

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 5:55 pm

Hi,

I purchased an ATEM Mini Pro last week to connect 3 cameras. A Sony FDR-AX53, a Sony ZV-E10 and a Panasonic HC-VX1 for use in an outside broadcast setup. I have all 3 cameras outputing 1080p at 60hz and have checked this is the case. Every now and then either of the two Sony Cameras start to flash however the ZV-E10 is the worst. If I swap the the ports the ZV-E10 (which flashes in HDMI port 3) the flashing stops and I can the ATEM Mini Pro with no issues. If I thn switch off and conenct them into different ports again the next day, the flashing comes back and again switching to another HDMI prot fixes the issue. There is no issue if I set the frame rate to 50fps. I am in a PAL region but YouTube seam to re-encodee live streams to 60fps which I ahve tested and doesn't look great when panning. Currently the ZV-E10 using HDMI port 3 flashes and when I move it to HDMI Port 4, the flashing stops. If I set the ZV-E10 to 1080i in port 3, the flashing stops as well.

Any thoughts as the unit is only a week old and I purchased from WEX in Bristol.

Thanks

Andy

ManchesterV

Re: Issue with ATEM Mini Pro and Sony Cameras

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 6:36 pm

What you describe is common with longer HDMI cables. 60P needs slightly more bandwidth than 50P. This could be just enough to trip up your cables.

Note - all ATEM switchers are fussy about HDMI cable lengths.

Anything 3M or over should really be Fiber Optic HDMI cables.

clarkerz

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 6:55 pm

ManchesterV wrote:What you describe is common with longer HDMI cables. 60P needs slightly more bandwidth than 50P. This could be just enough to trip up your cables.

Note - all ATEM switchers are fussy about HDMI cable lengths.

Anything 3M or over should really be Fiber Optic HDMI cables.

Thanks SO MUCH for this Gavin!!! I've just been watching the ZV-E10 flashing away in port 3 and swapped out the 5M cable for a 1 metre cable and the sympton went. When I plugged the 5M cable back it's now OK - whcih is weird. I don't think I can send 30p to from the cameras which is a shame so I'm going to get 3M cables for the two Sony's as the Pananasonic is OK with 5M. The 5M cable, even though now working, does take longer for the picture to show so you are definately right. All the cameras work fine with a 5M cable plugged into another 5M cable on a HD TV, but I assume the ATEM is more sensitive.

Thanks so much!!

Cheers

Clarkey

clarkerz

PostWed Mar 22, 2023 8:35 pm

Actually just ordered 5m fibre HDMI cables with an adapter and a 0.3m HDMI to Micro cable. Not sure if that will work, but will test tomorrow. Thanks again.

Return to Live Production