PoE Explanation

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

lenny321

Re: PoE Explanation

PostFri Mar 24, 2023 6:58 pm

To simplify my question: Can the studio 6k camera work in this fashion. camera ------> poe injector/switch (not using blackmagic products) ------> PC (or any device capable of consuming this stream). Is the IP address for stream known? Is the stream restricted by proprietary standards and/or encryption to prevent someone using the data from the camera PoE without blackmagic intermediary products?

Thanks you to anyone who might know this question.

Mike Ambrose

PostSat Mar 25, 2023 2:56 am

The studio cam manual outlines the following use cases for the ethernet port:

1. Powering the camera (page 16)
  2. Streaming to another device/service (pages 16, 90)
    1. This can be third-party such as youtube (or a custom server)
    2. Blackmagic's SDI solution is called the ATEM Streaming Bridge. Note that this is not a low latency connection, even if it's on the local network. (https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... s/W-APS-16)
  3. Streaming low latency to the Studio Converter, (page 102)
    1. This is proprietary (or at least undocumented on specifics)
      (https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... s/W-CST-09)

tl;dr; Low latency video over the ethernet port only works with the studio converter. In addition, this is the only way to get bi-directional comms (the streaming bridge is one direction only). This is probably what you want.

To answer some of your other questions:

Yes, you can power locally and use ethernet for A/V only.
Blackmagic's ethernet implementation properly follows the spec so any 10G cable (CAT6 or better) should work.

Manual link: https://documents.blackmagicdesign.com/ ... 7225610000

Xtreemtec

PostTue Mar 28, 2023 10:50 am

lenny321 wrote:To simplify my question: Can the studio 6k camera work in this fashion. camera ------> poe injector/switch (not using blackmagic products) ------> PC (or any device capable of consuming this stream). Is the IP address for stream known? Is the stream restricted by proprietary standards and/or encryption to prevent someone using the data from the camera PoE without blackmagic intermediary products?

Thanks you to anyone who might know this question.

BMD Uses the TICO encoding protocol. A 10Gbit/s video protocol to stream realtime video and anc data both ways. But the data stream in this product is pretty hard to do anything else with then what is was intended for!! Just buy the Basestation.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Reuben Hustler

PostTue Apr 04, 2023 9:56 pm

I'm interested in the 10G use for linking sports cams, but I can't find anything about the maximum length of run between the Converter and the Camera.

Does anyone have any input of recommended maximum runs for this? Especially for the PoE with drop-off of DC power over the distance being a concern.

Howard Roll

PostWed Apr 05, 2023 2:30 pm

Reuben Hustler wrote:I'm interested in the 10G use for linking sports cams, but I can't find anything about the maximum length of run between the Converter and the Camera.

Does anyone have any input of recommended maximum runs for this? Especially for the PoE with drop-off of DC power over the distance being a concern.

10GBASE-T is good for ~100m. Line loss is factored into the spec for POE++ at max distance, 73w at the destination is 90w at the source with a 100m cable.

Good Luck

Xtreemtec

PostFri Apr 07, 2023 9:20 am

Howard Roll wrote:
Reuben Hustler wrote:I'm interested in the 10G use for linking sports cams, but I can't find anything about the maximum length of run between the Converter and the Camera.

10GBASE-T is good for ~100m. Line loss is factored into the spec for POE++ at max distance, 73w at the destination is 90w at the source with a 100m cable.

Good Luck

Especially the GOOD LUCK. I have seen people struggle with more then 60 meters of CAT6 / 7 cable.
Camera that has issues to booth or starts blinking as the feed is not stable enough. ;) Dont expect wonders.. It is just it's own kind of Magic.. #BlackMagic
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Return to Live Production