ATEM Mini Pro ISO Multicam Clips

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

appleandbiscuit

ATEM Mini Pro ISO Multicam Clips

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 3:03 pm

Hi, It would be really useful to have the ATEM Mini Pro ISO create a multicam edited clip when recording ISOs, rather than a Resolve file that is just a bunch of little clips from the iso angles. Might this be possible? I think it would be game-changing!

Dave Del Vecchio

Re: ATEM Mini Pro ISO Multicam Clips

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 7:27 pm

Not sure if I understand what is being asked for.

The ATEM Mini Pro ISO is capable of recording the program video including all of the live camera switches (exactly the same video as would be live streamed), in addition to the individual recordings for each camera angle. So you don't have to use the Resolve file to re-edit all the individual camera angles if you don't want to. You can just use the program video directly.

appleandbiscuit

PostTue Aug 25, 2020 7:51 pm

Yes, however it also records a Resolve project file. This project file is a series of clips taken from the ISO files, but I'm suggesting that if it were a multicam project with those same edits, this would be a much more useful starting point for minor modifications, rather than having to start from scratch.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostWed Aug 26, 2020 5:04 pm

The Resolve project file does not contain any clips. It is a database of in and out points for the switched program. The ISO files are complete videos which are available for editing. If you start with the Resolve project you may easily trim or adjust whatever you want from the original recording. You do not have to start over. Hope this helps. Stay safe.

Regards. Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

christoffer

PostFri Sep 11, 2020 7:03 pm

Gary Adams wrote:The Resolve project file does not contain any clips. It is a database of in and out points for the switched program. The ISO files are complete videos which are available for editing. If you start with the Resolve project you may easily trim or adjust whatever you want from the original recording. You do not have to start over. Hope this helps. Stay safe.

Regards. Gary

Thanks for your reply Gary! If I'm guessing, I think that the original question refers to a wish to be able to get the multicam-view working in Resolve, while maintaining the cuts that were recorded on the ATEM Mini Pro ISO. Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that the resolve project that is generated is just a standard timeline referring to the video files from each input, not a "true" multicam project. We now have to start over from the beginning to get "real" multi-cam editing.

Zirriborro

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 1:39 pm

I totally agree with @appleandbiscuit, it would be great to have access to a multicam clip within the Resolve project, so it would be much easier to replace those ISO files with clips from the cameras.

I feel a little disappointed because when I read the ATEM Mini Pro ISO specs I thought that it created multicam clips...

No multiview AND program output and now this...

(Hope this multicam feature came in incoming firmware updates)

analogthings

PostWed Nov 04, 2020 12:39 pm

+1 for the multicam feature

billhamway

PostSun Nov 08, 2020 2:23 pm

Zirriborro wrote:I feel a little disappointed because when I read the ATEM Mini Pro ISO specs I thought that it created multicam clips...

Same! I upgraded from the Mini Pro to Mini Pro ISO because I thought we'd get this functionality.

Here's our use case: We record 60+ minute long video podcasts and want to be able to live switch the cameras during the interview.

Once the interview is finished, I want to open the Resolve project generated from the recording as a Multicam Timeline.

Why? Aside from making minor edits to clip timing, we need to color correct and make small adjustments (zoom/rotate/etc) that apply to the entire camera/source clip—just like we can with normal Multicam Timelines.

Instead, the Multicam recording we get from the switcher is hard cuts. Which means we'd have to manually make adjustments to every single clip/cut. Ouch!

If/when this is supported, it'll seriously save us hours/days and eventually weeks of work. *fingers crossed*

campello

PostTue Jan 05, 2021 2:47 am

One more for this feature. I'm new to DaVinci Resolve, so thought I might be doing something wrong. Searched online and found this thread.

What I would like to have is a multi-cam clip with the 4 streams that I can edit using the edit tab. I

f I try to create it manually, I lose the original cuts. Also, for some reason, I can't get all 4 of the streams to work properly in the manually created multi-cam clip. One of them is always off. I tried syncing with timecode, then the one which was coming off of a laptop doesn't show up in the multi-cam clip. I also tried using "In" as the sync method, but that doesn't work either :(

Julien Cadilhac

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 10:52 am

Hello. obviously in the same case. I am an editor used to multicam Final Cut Pro X, I understood that the editing of a multicam clip in Resolve was going to come close to it and as in parallel I invested in an ATEM Mini Pro ISO (soon a Extreme as a replacement), I thought I could have an editing session with a ready-made multicam plan (with all its angles) and find all the cuts made live.
And not this not very intuitive sync bin solution (great for modifying or adding a shot, but to resume recording an hour-long show, that's okay).

So I make the same request: that the Resolve projects created by ATEM Mini include a pre-synchronized multicam clip.

fateh.shams

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 2:42 pm

As @Gary Adams said, this is exactly what you do. I do also have Atem Mini ISO and have adjusted/trimmed few edits and color corrected few shows. Just open the Resolve project.

Note: You need to use the CUT page to re-edit. In COLOR you can also color corrected the whole camera. Like to color match globally different brands of the cameras.

It is not same as Multi-cam on EDIT page. I suggest that re-edit should be also available on the EDIT page as I am personally more comfortable in that mode.

Not sure If I am allowed to share the links here, but search on the YouTube for the ATEM Mini ISO Finishing in Resolve videos. Otherwise here is also 1 video explaining the workflow.

BennoZ

PostTue Mar 09, 2021 3:20 pm

Keep in mind that the audio of the Atem Mini Iso is NOT Iso!!! The audio of the Iso's is the program audio, so not what you really want. I hope they will change this very soon. Now you have to replace the existing audio in the Iso video-files by the audio in the folder named "Audio files", that's not a nice and normal workflow.

tomfewchuk

PostThu Jul 15, 2021 6:23 am

+1 for multicam video and audio. Severely disappointed that ISO recording sounds like a multicam thing but they're just hard cuts.
For the devs out there, imagine you go back into the edit after recording and want to quickly change camera 1 to camera 3. How do you do that with this current setup?

Howard Roll

PostThu Jul 15, 2021 4:01 pm

tomfewchuk wrote:How do you do that with this current setup?

Sync Bin on the Cut page or gang viewers on the Edit page.

Good Luck

rstreber

PostThu Jul 15, 2021 4:16 pm

It's easy to re-edit if you work in the cut page and especially if you use the Speed Editor. For those who are used to the workflow of the edit window and working with multi-cam clips, it would definitely be nice if that were available without having to manually create multicam clips. But for someone like me who basically started doing this work from the beginning in the way that BMD intends for the product to be used (using the cut page with speed editor) it's very fast and easy to get the hang of.
Ryan Streber
Oktaven Audio
www.oktavenaudio.com

jon@131

PostWed Jan 05, 2022 1:04 pm

Hi - forgive me for jumping in on this thread but it's the closest to what I am trying to do ;-)

Basically I delivered a 4-camera live concert stream on my ATM Mini ISO ... I had to use 4 different cameras, each with different length HDMI cable from their positions and one was on a Hollyland 300 wireless link.

The stream went out fine - the bands would like a copy of their set so I've opened the Resolve file and have the set.

However because of each of the different camera models and connectivity, each angle has a different audio delay (either 3, 2, 8 or 38 frames).

What I want to do is open the ISO files and slip the video by the required amount and hope that when I then open the master timeline, the respective angles will now be in sync to the master audio/sound desk track.

Is this feasible ? ... I've tried opening, slipping and exporting one of the angles but it reports media not found despite renaming to the same as the original file?

Thanks for any assistance ...

Ken Grunberg

PostSun Feb 06, 2022 2:34 pm

Yeah, this really seems like a missed opportunity for all NLEs. I say that as someone who uses FCPX but with tons of Blackmagic hardware. A .drp file with edited multicams from the ATEM ISO, that I can then XML to FCPX would be amazing!

Alexandre Leclerc

PostMon Apr 04, 2022 1:34 pm

+1 for multicam view when editing the project out of ATEM Mini ISO recording.

This would make many workflows much easier. The Sync Bin is too limited.

The multicam view gives much power; even the possibility of adding additional views in post-production. This would make things way easier to edit without changing the whole program, and transitions, etc.

Hope this feature can make it in an upcoming update. :-)

Best regards.
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12/24 Cores, 64 GB DDR4-3600, Radeon VII 16 GB, Sabrent Rocket PCIe 4.0 2TB & 500GB SSD, Asus X570-PLUS.

drewgandy

PostSun Aug 28, 2022 10:44 pm

I spent over a year editing weekly multi-cam videos from Shogun7 recordings in Resolve. For the past 6 months I have been doing the same thing with ATEM ISO recordings using the cut page and Speed Editor. Although the cut page with the Speed Editor does indeed have some nice features, I find myself cussing when I don't have the Speed Editor at hand. The cut page just isn't great without it. And even with it, I find it clumsy for some functions.

I recently jumped back to the Shogun for a few weeks and honestly, I found it refreshing. Now, I'm not obsessing over every frame of this video like many projects call for. Instead, I'm trying to move quickly and the cut page just doesn't "cut it" for this. I love how in a multi-cam clip, I can simply switch an angle (click once) and it will continue on that angle for the rest of the clip. On the cut page, source overwrite requires me to drag any angle out to cover what I want to cover. What takes one click on the edit page takes perhaps a dozen using the cut page. In fact, what I generally do when I need to change angles is to go to the cut page (which sometimes requires re-selecting the clip bin and then sync bin) and do a source overwrite, then switch back to the edit page and drag the ends to where I need them (this content must stay in sync with the continuous audio track).

Maybe there's a trick of the cut page that I don't know? Regardless, I would love to see the ability to record or at least convert an ATEM ISO recorded drp into an already switched multi-cam timeline just so it's an option. I have to think that taking ISO recordings to a different NLE would be a lot easier with this as well.

cjban100

PostTue Aug 30, 2022 7:52 pm

jon@131 wrote:
However because of each of the different camera models and connectivity, each angle has a different audio delay (either 3, 2, 8 or 38 frames).

What I want to do is open the ISO files and slip the video by the required amount and hope that when I then open the master timeline, the respective angles will now be in sync to the master audio/sound desk track.

Is this feasible ? ... I've tried opening, slipping and exporting one of the angles but it reports media not found despite renaming to the same as the original file?

Thanks for any assistance ...

This is a major requirement from me (and probably a lot others) too. I edit the multicam clips in Logic. To sync the clips, I am unable to just use the "sync by audio" feature, since the audio is the same in all clips but the videos have different delays.

appleandbiscuit

PostTue Sep 13, 2022 3:28 pm

Any news on this feature? I've just spent a long time trying to replace ATEM ISO files with camera files (all from panasonic cameras). Having made the timecode from each camera match the TC in the ISO files, there's still no easy way of replacing one with the other if the file start time is different from the ISO.

Please, blackmagic, make the ATEM recorded project a multicam file, then we can just drop in replacement angles with ease.

Please!

sophocles

PostMon Jan 30, 2023 12:49 pm

+1
This would be great!

I'd thought this was what was offered, since the ability to switch to the camera original was mentioned. But, after looking through the documentation, that is only if the cameras are Blackmagic cameras; then there is the ability to switch to the camera recording after putting them in the ISO folder.

But while that could get higher resolution files, all the other good things that a multicam clip would offer are still missed (grading a camera, switching the angle, adding an angle, slipping the angle, etc.).

Thanks!

starwebby

PostWed Apr 19, 2023 5:49 pm

+1 for this

Seems like this feature would be an obvious addition given how many people request it and how useful it would be for people using the ATEM + Da Vinci.

It would likely encourage all of the ATEM users still tied to Adobe premiere to make the leap to Da Vinci...

huyzer

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 6:49 pm

Well this is a shame. I was considering the Atem Mini Pro ISO because I thought it did the multicam thing. Ugh. Darn it! I hope Blackmagic has a firmware update to do that.
Asus Zephyrus G14 laptop
8-core AMD Ryzen 9 4900HS CPU
16GB RAM

--- old system below ---
AMD FX-8350 Eight-Core @ 4.00 GHz
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
32 GB RAM
AMD Radeon R9 390x (driver up to date, vers. 19.9.2)

Darryl

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 10:16 pm

huyzer wrote:Well this is a shame. I was considering the Atem Mini Pro ISO because I thought it did the multicam thing. Ugh. Darn it! I hope Blackmagic has a firmware update to do that.

It does do Multicam, but it's the Cut Page version of Multicam. I much prefer the Edit page version but there are lots of good things still in the Cut Page version.
Darryl Severn
The Videoverse by Darbeth
Livestreaming, Conferences, Info & Education, Events

Kit:
BMPCC 4K, Studio Cam 4K Pro, ATEM Mini Extreme ISO, Resolve Studio
DJI Inspire 2, Panasonic HCPV100,
Behringer XR16, Sennheiser XSW

Trevor Asquerthian

PostFri Jun 02, 2023 7:48 am

It's been a while since I used the mini pro iso *and* I was editing in PP, so had to export an XML from resolve to get the edit. But...

It's pretty easy to replace the flattened timeline with multicam sources, switched to correct camera. (Not going to go into details here, cos it's not that simple - be easier for you to pay me to do it for you.)

Also makes the slippage of non-sync Isos easy (as you fix in multicam and it ripples through edit.

Obvs be better if BM did it by default (like EVS Directors Cut does/did for PP+Avid).

gabriel.uhlir

PostMon Jul 24, 2023 10:36 pm

+1 for this feature!

I just started playing with the project from ATEM, exited that I can switch the cams easly with numbers like Im used to, just to find out that thats not the case with ATEM :-/ I hope this changes to the correct solution soon with firmware update!

peters111

PostSun Sep 03, 2023 8:49 am

Any news on that ? Any chance to convert the "sync bin " to a "real Multicam " ? to use in resolve or export to another NLE like FCPX ?( where Multicam, is very fine btw). Does anyone know of any external tools to do this ?
desperately seeking a solution for this .. the only solution I know is softron Multicam, loggers which does exactly that ,( including the logging) bus costs as almost as much as an atem ...
thx peter

JasonAaronPro

PostTue Nov 28, 2023 8:05 am

+1 for a multi-cam timeline rather than the stupid sync bin. So clunky compared to the ease of the Multicam format.
--

Jason Aaron
Executive Producer
TV / Video / Vodcast
jason@JasonAaron.pro
317-679-0429

http://www.JasonAaron.pro

2023 – Sizzle Reel: https://youtu.be/E1Pgsd07S1g

Florian Gintenreiter

PostTue Jan 30, 2024 10:02 am

+1 for generating true Multicam Clips with the ISO models of the ATEM mixers.

When I bought the ATEM extreme ISO,I was under the impression that the ATEM would generate a multicam clip/project linking to the available ISO recordings that reflects the cuts made during recording.
But as many have stated it does record the cuts, inserts and transitions but links to the ISO files directly, not to a multicam version.
I'm not a coder, but it can't be insanely difficult to have the ATME mixers write a multicam project.

Please implement this, if possible.
Hardware: MacBookPro 16" 2021, M1 Max, 64GM Ram, Blackmagic Ultra Studio 4K mini, PreSonus 26c Audio Interface

bcolgate

PostMon Mar 25, 2024 10:52 pm

+1 for this.

For those who don't find it otherwise:

Return to Live Production