Why is the USB-C Video Glitching... I have a thought...

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

TDWright

Why is the USB-C Video Glitching... I have a thought...

PostThu Jun 01, 2023 2:26 pm

I hope that the BM Engineers get ahold of this a check it out if they have not already.

My ATEM is the 8 camera HDMI ISO model and I have had it nearly a year and the USB-C has worked with VMix, not OSB... but this week it started glitching like many have described.

This is what I think is going on....but first.

I have tried different cables, connected directly, through a patch panel, through a powered hub, and directly to a decent high end... RAZOR laptop, and nothing changed the video output to the streaming software... EXCEPT...

When I plugged in a USB-C to A from the ATEM Extreme Pro ISO it fixed the glitch. So USB-C to USB-C no longer works.

This leads me to believe that the ATEM itself cannot handle whatever power exchange there is going on through the USB-C cable...... that power is causing an Ohm issue which is leading something to get burned out, and crosses over to the video signal. Very similarly to what happens with radios when the SWR's are too high, and the signal backs back up into the radio and burns out the transmit finals.

No, I am no Engineer. I just work with electronics all day long, and as a "ham" know just a little bit about what I described above with radios, and it "seems" like something of this nature is going on with the ATEM.
So, Black Magic Engineers Please look into this.

TDWright

Re: Why is the USB-C Video Glitching... I have a thought...

PostSun Jun 04, 2023 11:07 pm

Thank you for the experimenting and reporting.

As for recording I had issues also, and switched out USB-C cables and went to the SanDisk... Works fine.

But the crazy lines across the broadcast out image is only with any and all USB-C cables, and not with USB-C to A.....

I would love to hear of any and all other ideas and experiments.

Tim

_G3CD_ wrote:Hi, thanks für your input - I tested your theory, bought some new 10 Gbps certified cables USB-C to USB-A … and same result: ATEM Mini Pro ISO stops recording after 90 minutes with a flashing red button that wouldn't respond.

I also bought some new 20 Gbps certified USB-C to USB-C cables and while I still got the flashing red button, it at least responded to a press and stopped recording. And it recorded over 7 hours of input from 4 cameras (Master Boot Record, Mac OS Extended).

I also noticed that if I unplug 3 cameras, recording just one works fine. No idea though when recording more than 1 camera got faulty, also I'm using the recommended San Disk Extreme and it used to work when I got it, while the San Disk Extreme Pro with twice the data rate failed from the very beginning.

It seems to me that it's more an issue with throughput than cable type. Also I haven't tested formatting the disk as ExFAT - I could imagine that the nerds at Blackmagic have optimized everything fir Windows.

Return to Live Production