ATEM TV Studio Pro HD Animated Graphics

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

kltyler

ATEM TV Studio Pro HD Animated Graphics

PostSun Nov 17, 2019 8:01 pm

Does ATEM Television Studio Pro HD support animated graphics? If so, could you please tell me the steps needed to start using them? I'm on a mac and would like to use Motion if possible.

Thank you!

Kevin Copeland

Re: ATEM TV Studio Pro HD Animated Graphics

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 1:28 am

No, that model only supports still images in the media player, (not media clips).

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 3:10 pm

U can play it from motion , or any other sofware ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

Xtreemtec

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 3:12 pm

Depends on what the TS wants to do.

Animated graphics can also be a Stinger or animated logo ;) This can be done with the media player. With a TGA sequence up to X frames ( Depending on set Resolution and framerate )

But for all video related playout, You need to go external.
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

kltyler

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 5:38 pm

I created an animation with a black background that I then keyed out using the downstream key (after connecting my computer to the switcher via one of the HDMI inputs). I looped the animation in QuickTime Player, pressed play in full screen mode, and used the DSK 1 CUT button to bring it up on the program before the loop began again. I can't play/pause it without the little play/pause box coming up on screen, thus the loop. My current problem is that the black key will key out every trace of black. So, for example, the dark red color that is in the animation was changed to a semi-transparent cherry red when all traces of black were keyed out of it. Is there any way to narrow the key to just pure black or to change the key color?

I'm still within the return period, but I'd like to make this switcher work without having to upgrade to the 4k. I really need to be able to use animated graphics though. Blackmagic customer support told me that the 4k can support animated graphics... What can it do that the HD can't?

Thanks for your help. I really appreciate it.

Xtreemtec

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 6:10 pm

To key perfectly without issues with those traces you describe. You need to dive into Key & Fill. ;) The Fill will tell the Atem what not to key away.

The key fill etc is the same for the 4K and HD. That won't make a difference.. When you go to a 1ME 4K or 2ME then you get additional DVE's and keyers.. But for what you want/need i dont think you need an upgrade.

For playout without overlay. Take a look into VLC player. Go to settings and turn off overlay. Now you can que a video up, hit spacebar and it starts to play. Also you can tell it what to do on end of file. Like repeat or freeze or whatever. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

kltyler

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 8:12 pm

When you talk about diving into the key and fill, are you talking about the pre multiplied key? That's the only place I see to make adjustments. I tried it, but I can't get it to work right to where my background is fully visible and the animation is fully visible. One or the other ends up getting darkened.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 3.04.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-11-19 at 3.04.07 PM.png (313.04 KiB) Viewed 2348 times

Hakan Taube Lyxzen

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 8:23 pm

If the picture are from your setup you must set the key source to something else than black. If you only have one signal set it to the same as the fill input.
Hakan Taube Lyxzen
prostreaming.se

kltyler

PostTue Nov 19, 2019 8:55 pm

OH MY GOSH!!!! IT'S WORKING!!!! THANK YOU!!!!! Victory dance going on over here right now! THANK YOU!!!

Dan Hamstra

PostThu Jan 16, 2020 4:21 pm

This is a bit late but, I use a program called "Present" that might be handy for your needs. It's available on the Mac app store for $3. It's by Hood Computing and the icon looks like a projector.

It's great for stuff that you have no time (or want) to put into Keynote or PowerPoint and it's especially handy for playing a video in front of an audience or to play a video loop into an HDMI input on your ATEM.

Start it up on your primary desktop and tell it to use (typically) "Screen 2". Any graphic or video you drop in the app window on your 1st monitor will be displayed full screen on the 2nd monitor. It will NOT show movie controls, Apple desktop, app windows/menus etc on your 2nd monitor. The 2nd monitor only shows the graphic/video, all media control (volume control, scrub cursor, play/pause, etc) is on your 1st monitor.

Present supports most common image formats and any video container/codec that QuickTime supports. I install it on every Mac I have access to and use it to run projectors in classrooms, auditoriums, churches, etc. where I don't have a site license or want to pay for ProPresenter. I even put it on machines with ProPresenter because it's easier teach a new tech how to play a video in front of an audience with Present.

In your application, I think you could hook up HDMI etc exactly the way you already do, run Present (or something similar) to manage your "2nd screen" (the input to your ATEM) and not have to worry about setting up a mask just to hide elements you don't want in your key'ed graphics. maybe your case was a one off and you'll never do it again but if you want to do this a lot, I think a program that controls your 2nd screen is very handy. That's what I do with an iMac hooked up an ATEM Studio HD at my church. We do lower thirds another way so, I'm usually just showing graphics and not doing any keying of my "graphics" machine.
Dan Hamstra
Director, Audio/Visual Services and Telecommunications
Andrews University
www.andrews.edu

“Seek Knowledge. Affirm Faith. Change the World.”

Return to Live Production