BMD UltraStudio Mini Recorder issue with new camera

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Jason Imboden

BMD UltraStudio Mini Recorder issue with new camera

PostSun Dec 08, 2019 4:57 pm

I've been using a pair of UltraStudio mini recorders for a year or two now with no issues. They're feeding video from two canon vixias into Wirecast on my Mac. I just upgraded to a canon xa40 and I can't get the mini to work with the new camera. I can feed the video feed directly into a screen via HDMI but when I send it into the mini at doesn't recognize that it's getting a signal.

Any suggestions?

alexlindsay

Re: BMD UltraStudio Mini Recorder issue with new camera

PostMon Dec 09, 2019 10:59 pm

Are you sure the camera is outputing 1080p instead of 4k?

a

Xtreemtec

PostTue Dec 10, 2019 2:50 pm

Camera should not output 1080P The ultrastudio mini recorders support up to 1080i50/60. But lack the 1080P50/60 support.

So check your HDMI output settings on the new cams. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

DanDeVries

PostMon Jun 15, 2020 6:04 pm

I have the exact same problem. I called and did not get a solution. Did you find how to make it work?

jreynolds

PostWed Jul 01, 2020 9:06 pm

I'm also having the same issue. Brand new Canon XA40 running through the UltraStudio Mini Recorder. I have had the feed show up twice for a couple seconds in Media Express and then when I open it back up or check to see if the feed is showing in Ecamm Live it's gone. I've plugged the camera directly into a TV and the feed shows up fine so the cable is not the issue. Has anyone solved this problem? I called BMD and Canon support to no avail.

carlsonbenjamin

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 6:42 pm

I just received my new XA40 I have an older vixia Camcorder that works great with the BMD Ultra Studio Mini Recorder. I know the cables all work using the same cables for both cameras. I know that the XA40 works directly to an older TV. However, nothing seems to work with the XA40 to my Macbook. I have changed display settings in both camera and BMD software I still can not get my Macbook to see the camera through the BMD! I see my BMD but that is as far as it gets! What do I need to do to make this setup work by Sunday?
Has anyone had any luck with getting this camera to work on their Mac if so how and what device do I need?

Dave Del Vecchio

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 11:56 pm

As Daniel mentioned above, the UltraStudio Mini Recorder does not support 1080p50, 1080p5994, or 1080p60 video signals and unfortunately this tends to be the preferred HDMI output resolution of a lot of cameras.

The signal format with the best chance of success is probably 1280x720 @ 59.94p, so I would try that first. There is a chance that recording internally at 1920x1080 @ 23.98P and setting the HDMI Max Resolution to 1080 and the HDMI Scan Mode to P (progressive) may also work.

If recording internally at 1920x1080 @ 29.27p or 59.94p, then I would probably set the HDMI Max Resolution setting to 1080 and the HDMI Scan Mode to PsF. Although whether this will work or not, I am not sure.

If all else fails, you may need something like the Mini Converter UpDownCross HD to convert the camera's HDMI output into a signal format that is compatible with the UltraStudio Mini Recorder.

carlsonbenjamin

PostFri Jul 03, 2020 11:53 am

One I tried what you are talking about and that does not work has BM tried this or been successful in getting the XA40 to the Mini Recorder to work yet or are we just throwing guesses? Everything in the specs sheet for the mini recorder and XA40 make us all assume this setup will work!

MattKL

PostTue Jul 14, 2020 12:04 am

I have the Canon XA50 with the same issue. Doesn't matter if I choose a resolution approved by BM in the manual, I would only get a black screen source.

Tried connecting it to a TV, and it works perfectly, so there should not be any issue with the cables or the camera...

brianmehrens

PostFri Oct 16, 2020 7:48 pm

I have been helping someone with this exact issue and was able to get it to work just recently. What seemed to work was to set the record mode to 4k(3840x2160, 29.97P) and I believe it was in the PsF mode. I'll be completely honest in saying I have no idea why it worked, but as soon as we did that it came right up. It outputs 1080 59.94i in 8bit in that mode vs the 10bit in the HD record mode. That is the only difference I can see, but whatever it was, that did the trick. Hopefully that helps.

centralShelby

PostThu Mar 11, 2021 5:44 pm

carlsonbenjamin wrote:I just received my new XA40 I have an older vixia Camcorder that works great with the BMD Ultra Studio Mini Recorder. I know the cables all work using the same cables for both cameras. I know that the XA40 works directly to an older TV. However, nothing seems to work with the XA40 to my Macbook. I have changed display settings in both camera and BMD software I still can not get my Macbook to see the camera through the BMD! I see my BMD but that is as far as it gets! What do I need to do to make this setup work by Sunday?
Has anyone had any luck with getting this camera to work on their Mac if so how and what device do I need?

This problem exactly. I know I'm a little late to the game, but any solutions yet?

Return to Live Production