ATEM Mini not recognized by computer as "webcam"

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

dennyfowler

ATEM Mini not recognized by computer as "webcam"

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 1:01 am

EDIT: Solution was to switch "Allow apps to access your camera" to ON in "Camera privacy settings" (Windows 10).

I can't get OBS and various other programs to properly recognize the ATEM Mini USB "webcam".

For background: I've read the relevant sections of the manual as far as set-up, connecting to computer, etc, and I've installed the Blackmagic "ATEM Switchers 8.1 Update" software from 12 Nov 2019.

I have two cameras going into the ATEM Mini, both showing fine and switching/cutting properly on the HDMI-connected external monitor.

I've tried connecting the ATEM Mini to my computer using two different USB-C to USB-A cables -- one USB 3.1 and one USB 2.0 -- using different 2.0 and 3.0 ports on my computer. The result is the same.

Software interactions:
I'm able to control the switcher perfectly from the ATEM Software Control program, though whenever I first open the program, I get "No device connected" displayed for a few seconds before the control panel interface appears. From there I can control the switcher without issue.

In OBS, the ATEM Mini is not recognized and doesn't show up as an option when setting up a new Video Capture Device.

Facebook Live's camera dropdown shows "Blackmagic Design (1edb:be49)", but when I select it, it says "Unable to find camera. Please connect a camera and verify correct camera permissions in your browser."

In Skype camera settings, it doesn't see it at all: "No device found."

Not sure where to go from here, so I'd really appreciate any ideas or suggestions. Thank you!
Last edited by dennyfowler on Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:46 am, edited 3 times in total.

dennyfowler

Re: ATEM Mini not recognized by computer as "webcam"

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 2:38 am

I tried the ATEM Mini on an old Windows laptop -- drivers were immediately installed and the ATEM was recognized in OBS. On the desktop described in the OP, the device is still not recognized.

On this older laptop, I didn't install any Blackmagic software first. I just plugged the ATEM in vis USB and it worked.

All the "Device Manager" drivers seem to be identical. One notable difference between laptop and desktop is that upon inserting the USB cable into the laptop, I got the "Windows has recognized a new device" alert as it installed and configured it. This alert never came up on the desktop, as if it never properly recognized and configured the device, despite the presence of the drivers.

Ian Morrish

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 3:10 am

What version of Windows are your using?
The USB Webcam feature only seems to work on Windows 10, even though the ATEM software control and setup program work on Windows 7.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

Xtreemtec

PostMon Dec 16, 2019 11:14 am

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/produc ... s/W-APS-13
Control Panel Included

ATEM Software Control Panel included free for Mac 10.13 High Sierra, Mac 10.14 Mojave or later and Windows 10.

Windows 10 Only. ;) And i think also only 64 bit version. But might be wrong here..
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

dennyfowler

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 12:42 am

It turns out to have been a simple settings issue in Windows' "Camera privacy settings" – you have to affirmatively choose to "Allow apps to access your camera" and grant "camera access" for the computer. Simple as setting those to ON, and it worked.

In a separate concern, I'm finding that the ATEM is only properly recognized when using a USB 2.0 port. When plugged in to a USB 3.0 port, the ATEM Mini is recognized as a camera, but I get a black screen for video, or just the top few rows of pixels. (Tried two different USB 3.1 cables, as well as USB 2.0 cable.)

(I am running Windows 10 64 bit, by the way.)

Ian Morrish

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 12:53 am

I'm using a PC with USB3.0 only and a cable 3.0 A plug <> 3.1 type-C plug
No problems with Windows 10 and the Mini appearing in OBS.
Regards,
Ian Morrish
Video Integrated Scripting Environment
(Windows PowerShell with ATEM driver + more)
https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

ItsCool

PostTue Mar 31, 2020 10:11 pm

Tx. had the same issue. First it turned out that I pushed my new USB-C connector not hard enough. Click...and yes the ATEM was seen in my web conference software. Alas: Video only, no sound, neither from mic in or camera mics. And yes, my HDMI output produces both image and sound. Any ideas?

PS: Laptop is Surface Book. Mic is Rode lavalier.

July 1st Update: swapped to ATEM Mini Pro and audio works now. Only need to fix the HDMI lipsync when streaming in webconferences. But Daniel had a good post on that ;-)
Last edited by ItsCool on Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jacksonrod21

PostTue Jun 30, 2020 8:20 pm

I'm having the same issue but with a 2017 iMac running Catalina OS. I feel like it could just be issues with Catalina OS as well because it's got some bugs, but half the time my Mac recognizes the ATEM mini pro as a webcam and other times it doesn't.

It didn't seem to have any trouble before the last black magic firmware update. Has anyone had this problem?

Return to Live Production