ATEM Mini Laggy Video issue

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Thibaud

ATEM Mini Laggy Video issue

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 10:30 am

Hello,

So I've had a few gigs with the ATEM Mini as a source fed into our Atem TVS Pro 4K and it's a wonderful piece of equipment !

However, I've had one issue yesterday. When I put a PNG Downstream Key and a DVE Upstream Key with a laptop HDMI feed, after a few minutes the video output performance starts to take a hit, as if it was playing at 10fps instead of 25fps.

All my inputs / outputs are at 1080p 25fps except the laptop. Genuine power supply. It works well for a few minutes and then it starts to stutter.

What could be the reason for this ?

Thank you.

Xtreemtec

Re: ATEM Mini Laggy Video issue

PostTue Dec 17, 2019 6:56 pm

Heat? That is a lot of functions going on at the same time. Might get to warm and go in thermal mode??
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

igor vuk

PostThu Apr 16, 2020 6:59 pm

same here. Video lags after a few minutes and then it works ok after a while only to return back to lagging. i only use two, identical cameras. sony a6000

i'm also cooling it with fans. noting helps

Thibaud

PostFri Apr 17, 2020 9:59 am

I found two possible things that could cause the problem :

- Use the original power supply.
- When you can, avoid using the ATEM inner fps conversion. It's always best to have the proper FPS and resolution coming into the ATEM Mini.

For the moment I didn't have this issue again, but time will tell.

igor vuk

PostThu Apr 23, 2020 6:05 am

Thibaud wrote:I found two possible things that could cause the problem :

- Use the original power supply.
- When you can, avoid using the ATEM inner fps conversion. It's always best to have the proper FPS and resolution coming into the ATEM Mini.

For the moment I didn't have this issue again, but time will tell.

dumb question, but how do i aviod atem inner fps conversion?

Denny Smith

PostThu Apr 23, 2020 6:02 pm

By matching your camera video output to match what the ATEM Mini is set for, 1080p29.94 on camera and ATEM set for 29.94 output for example. This way the built in scalers are not used, and no additional delay introduced by the scalers.
Cheers
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

igor vuk

PostFri Apr 24, 2020 7:23 am

oh, thnx!

anyway, i did try to set it to 25 but it didn't seem to help. then i've set my cameras to NTSC instead of PAL, stutters were there but there was less of them, i did set my cam to 24, and atem mini to 24. ok, that was better, still stutters were noticable. then i've set cams to 60 fps and atem to 60fps and ta na! stutters dissapeared!

it's kind of a dumb solution but it works, i can only use atem mini with 60fps, anything less and stutter appear. now, 60 fps on facebook looks like crap. facebook drops frames and it looks more like 20fps. if i send 25-30 fps video to facebook live it's ok, more or less while 60fps is just a disaster.

igor vuk

PostTue May 05, 2020 11:39 am

So, issue seems to be not that the ATEM is suttering, but in fact that OBS is producing the stutter. :lol:

Denny Smith

PostTue May 05, 2020 4:30 pm

The “stutters” May have been an issue with the camera outputting a 60fps frame rate, and the ATEM set to a lower frame rate was trying to change from the 60/59.94 fps to the 1080p30/24 frame rate, resulting is missing frames to get the lower frame rate. It is best to set the ATEM Mini to the set frame rate as the camera is outputting. Many consumer type cameras do not have many choices on its output resolution/frame rate. At any rate, glad you got it sorted.
Cheers
Last edited by Denny Smith on Mon May 11, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

igor vuk

PostMon May 11, 2020 12:15 pm

and stutters are back.

atem mini is set on the same fps as camera. 60fps. still, stutters are present from time to time. this is crazy and frustrating. nothing seems to fix this.

igor vuk

PostMon May 11, 2020 8:02 pm

You can see frame rate dipping around 52:04

It seems that switching between cameras causes that. Problem is, both cameras are identical, set to same frame rates, 60fps. After a few more switches, stutter is lowe but fps still seems below 60fps. My cpu usage is below 10%, gpu around 30%. I was using obs to capture, set to 60fps, atem is set to 60fps, cameras are set to 60fps. I've trier using nvidia nvec (gtx1650) and intelquicksync (i7 9750h) and software h264. Nothing helps. Ive also tried using atem mini with usb, and connected atems hdmi out to camlink4k capture. Same problems. Nothing fixes this issue. This is really driving me insane. ive tried cooling atem mini with usb powered fans, set priority to max on obs, set lower presets for quality, again nothing helps.

quadjojo

PostWed May 27, 2020 8:20 am

Hey!
Any News on your Problems?
Having identical Problems here with my Sony A6500 and Macbook connected via HDMI out.
Thanks
Toby

bnvisuals

PostMon Jun 08, 2020 12:16 pm

I think I'm having this issue. When outputing from mac to ATEM mini pro, every couple of seconds a frame is dropped. It also seems like my mac (the on board screen) starts to drop a frame every two or so seconds when plugged in.

Does it have anything to do with a 59,94hz lag?

bnvisuals

PostTue Jun 09, 2020 8:45 am

A little update from me:

Tried different adapters from usb c (thunderbolt 3) to hdmi after discussing with some colleagues. Apparently the apple original USB-C digital AV-multiportadapter is the best adapter to use for BM-products. BM is according to my colleagues always picky when it comes to this.

I managed to fix the problem with a Unisynk 10332.

cendrick

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 2:49 pm

Hello everyone,
I'm seeing a dropped frame or two every 6-7 seconds.

We have a SSD drive connected to the USB port and the stuttering is present on that file which helps us to diagnose that it has to be something with the ATEM Mini Pro that is causing the issue for us.

We will try some frame adjustments as others have reported here to see if that makes any difference and I'll update as I learn more.

Update-1:
It is interesting that my HDMI output which I can have set to multi view or a camera is perfectly smooth. No dropped frames to speak of. The stuttering is coming off the USB port to my SSD and also in the stream to out streaming host. I've also tried two different hosts with the same stuttering. Every 3-7 seconds I see 2-3 frames dropped. What is going on? I've tried changing the camera settings to 60fps and also 30 fps with no change in the stutter.

Denny Smith

PostTue Jun 16, 2020 7:57 pm

This is a duplicate post from for resolution, cendrick, see: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=116027&p=638674#p638674
Denny Smith
SHA Productions

igor vuk

PostThu Jul 09, 2020 10:46 am

Denny Smith wrote:This is a duplicate post from for resolution, cendrick, see: viewtopic.php?f=4&t=116027&p=638674#p638674

that didn't slove my problem. to me it's happening with HDMI out.

with sony a6000 > camlink 4k only there are no stutters

3x sony a6000 > atem mini > hdmi out > camlink 4k there are bunch of suttters

same, with both hdmi and usbc

daryan

PostTue Aug 11, 2020 11:03 am

Has anyone tried a quality USB 3.1 cable?
The 10gbps type ..

It's the only thing that makes sense to me.

I'm waiting on delivery of one, so I'l get back to you all once I've tried it.

jeevis_magic

PostSat Aug 15, 2020 9:43 am

Wanted to add I also get laggy video when using USB cable for webcam input. I use vMix...VERY VERY annoying. Streamed last night with 3 HDMI inputs (1 x BMPCC6K, 1 x Sony A7R3 and 1x Sony A6500), audio was coming into computer via USB(Steinberg UR242). It was dropping frames/lagging, sync was going way out. Ended up switching to HDMI out into my Magewell HDMI to USB converter, worked perfectly, but lost ability to preview shots before switching which sucks. BlackMagic needs to get it's act together and fix this. Also blows my mind that they did not supply an approved USB C cable with the Atem Mini...that would at least eliminate any cable issues I've seen mentioned in this thread. I've tried 4 different cables using different ports on a brand new Gigabit 8core Laptop, including Thunderbolt port.

bleeckerj

PostTue Aug 18, 2020 10:15 pm

I also experienced this issue, which was not present when I first installed and set up my ATEM Mini Pro. (Newly purchased, arrived just yesterday).
It only appears on the HDMI input with a Nikon Z6 on it. On my second HDMI input I have a Sony RX100. THe third HDMI input is the output from my Macbook Pro through a commodity HDMI converter.
The delay is quite noticeable and only appears, as mentioned, on the Z6 input. Switching it to a different input doesn't correct the issue.
The issue wasn't always present, which made me curious if it accumulated somehow over time. I didn't notice it as I'm presenting and not watching my own feed necessarily — but someone in the audience noticed it.
*The problem was corrected when I set the Z6 and the ATEM Mini Pro to 1080p60.* Even if I set both the camera and the ATEM Mini Pro to the same framerate, it would still appear. It wasn't until I set them both to 1080p60 that the delay problem disappeared.
No issue whatsoever with the Sony RX100, fwiw, no matter what the framerate settings on the ATEM Mini Pro.
Perhaps this is a clue to the BM product folks if they're lurking — and something more specific to try for those folks who are seeing the issue with their setup.

igor vuk

PostSat Aug 29, 2020 11:43 am

yes, there seems to be an issue with certain cameras, my only fix is to use 60fps on atem and obs and then re-render it in 30fps in davinci resolve. that mostly fixed stutters. but still, for live streams, it's frustrating because the stutters are visible and anoying. :(

still you can check it out here, this is 60fps video rendered in davinci to 30fps :

also, i tried even setting camera's shutter speed to 120, 240 and even 60, and all of the shutter speeds in between. nothing helped. it's so strange and frustrating, none of these issues are present when i use camlink 4k, videos are full 60fps without even a micro-stutter on the same hardware. i use same sony a6000 cameras, set to same firmware, same setting, same lenses. i've tried different inputs, cables, i've tried sending HDMI out from atem to camlink 4k, i tried camlink's usb, nothing helps.

brettorrmusic

PostWed Sep 09, 2020 9:32 am

I have a consistent video lag between 1-4 seconds.
It's never in sync.
Ever.

* Camera 1: SONY A6400 (brand new)
* Camera 2: GoPro Hero 7 (brand new)
* High-quality HDMI leads (brand new)
* ATEM mini (brand new)
* Attached to a Macbook Pro via the Blackmagic-provided USB cable.

80% of the time, I have a full 1-second video lag.
20% of the time, the video stalls for around 3-4 seconds, then quickly catches up by speeding through the frames in fast-forward.
There is no consistency to the output, it's just all over the place, like an old warped videotape.

It's not like there's a good camera and bad camera.
Switching between the cameras doesn't alter these symptoms.

I have gone through countless forums and YouTube videos for two full days.
I've made every adjustment you are "supposed" to make on every part of the process.
I've had people from every corner of the globe explain settings on every device that I've purchased.

(I'm in Australia, so we use 25fps PAL to avoid screen flicker etc)

There shouldn't be any additional processing to cause this lag!

1. Adjusted Sony A6400 settings to 1080p 25fps
2. Adjusted GoPro 7 settings to 1080p 25fps
3. Adjusted ATEM software control to 1080p 25fps
4. Adjusted Streamlabs OBS to 1080p 25fps

I also tried standard "OBS Studio" software as well...

Nothing that I have tried in 2 days has made any difference.

My current conclusion is that the ATEM mini might just be a bad product?
It's barely doing anything!
It's just taking in HDMI signals and spitting them out again, no downscaling, no conversion.

Why did I buy this product if it can't do the simple job of spitting out video and audio in sync - LITERALLY THE JOB IT IS BUILT FOR?

What am I missing here?
Do we really have to spend $10,000 on a HDMI switcher to avoid this kind of latency?

igor vuk

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 8:28 am

uh, that's really bad thing to hear.

but i have good news. i updated atem mini to latest version. now it works like a charm, no sutter, nothing. i can even run it at 25fps on PAL with 4 cameras.

i guess that it was a software issue. :shock:

what version of sofware are you using? also, did you try to update the frimware on atem mini? i know how frustrating it can all be, belive me.

bleeckerj

PostFri Sep 25, 2020 8:18 pm

Well, my lag came back. I really haven't touched my setup and as I reported previously, this only occurs with my Nikon Z6. My Sony RX100 doesn't have a lag. Note that the lag does not appear in the M/V Video Out — it only appears in the signal that the ATEM Mini Pro is representing as a "webcam".

Very annoying and very strange.

abba2566

PostSun Nov 08, 2020 1:26 pm

I've been having the same issue, two BMPCC4Ks at UHD 25fps into an ATEM mini set to 1080p/25 (I'm loathe to turn the resolution down in camera as in the 4Ks it does a sensor crop.)
A weird addition to this issue, that I've not seen anyone else mention, is that it usually only seemed to lag on one camera at a time. But I don't think it was camera or HDMI cable specific as it would swap which camera had the issue and sometimes both would. Also, the HDMI output worked fine.
The issue also seems to be OBS related to me, as I've used it for much longer sessions in Zoom fine.

I don't want to say I've fixed it, but I've found a couple of things that seem to be working (at least in testing, always best to see when live!)

As previously mentioned, cooling seems to be a problem. I've sat it on a laptop cooling pad and it feels cooler to the touch and this seemed to lessen the issue (less stutter) but it was definitely still there. I only tested it like this for about 5 minutes and it had been on for a while beforehand and so it might just not have cooled down enough.

But then the thing that made a bigger difference for me, was setting it up manually in OBS rather than using the auto. I have it set up as follows:

Resolution/FPS type: Custom
Resolution: 1920x1080
FPS: 25
Video format: any
Colour Space: Default
Colour Range: Default
Buffering: Enable (*this seemed to be a key setting)

Like I said, this has been in testing and I'd like to see it work in a real world scenario, but if others could give that a try, we might get an answer!

Alessandro Bernardi

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 5:08 pm

I'm having a similar issue, though different on some aspects.
When I connect the ATEM Mini Pro via HDMI to my Mac I get a short stop in my Mac around every three seconds, like a freeze frame. It lasts few tenths of a second and then it continues to work. After three seconds another stop again and again.
It's pretty annoying as it affects every thing I do on the mac, even the mouse pointer freezes.
I've tried to disconnect any other source, but it happens only when the mac output is connected to the Atem.
Every source is setup to work at 1080p60, I've tried different fps setting but nothing changed.
Atem software v.8.5 on macOS 10.14.6 Mojave.
I've tried version 8.5.2 but the situation got worse, the software often wasn't responding so I had to Force Quit and restart it.

Anybody having a similar problem here?

Thanks,
Alessandro

Howard Roll

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 7:31 pm

Alessandro Bernardi wrote:When I connect the ATEM Mini Pro via HDMI to my Mac I get a short stop in my Mac around every three seconds, like a freeze frame. It lasts few tenths of a second and then it continues to work. After three seconds another stop again and again.

The same hardware issue was caused by a TB3 Glyph dock and DP to HDMI adapter. I tried maybe 6-8 different solutions and after some digging and monitoring of dropped frame logs (scary) I found the Apple adapter worked best, and by "best" I mean workable vs. e-waste. The machines still aren't 100% reliable at 4K.

The dock mostly worked on an older 2016 MBP without the freeze, and failed on two identical 2019 Octo i9's with Vega 20s. This may have been solved in Catalina, the original fault was under Mojave.

Good Luck

Alessandro Bernardi

PostSun Nov 29, 2020 10:24 pm

I've found a workaround: as I'm running all this on a Mac Mini with an external GPU via TB3, I've attached the Atem to the Mac Mini's HDMI output. So now I have two monitors connected to an AMD Radeon VII and the Atem to the Mac Mini.
It's a very strange behavior because one month ago I did the same setup on the same machine and everything worked perfectly for ten days or so.
Now I have this issue even without connecting the Atem to the USB port.

brianoglanby

PostWed Dec 02, 2020 11:02 am

I'm also having serious issues with jitter and and unstable visuals ! As I'm caught in the middle of a serious production here, this is creating huge problems as the vision recording is not broadcast able and marketable, there also seems to be no fixin Post Production i.e. Devincie Resolve or FCPX optical flow or frame blending don't seem to help. I'm running a 4 cam set up with Sony A7iii, A7s x 2 and Sony EX1, all cameras set to 1080p @ 24fps and the ATEM Mini Pro ISO output and recording set to same. Please please HELP !!!

igor vuk

PostTue Dec 15, 2020 8:10 am

same here. while update did remove most of the sutters, from time to time i get lower frame rate (half it seems). OBS registers no frame drops, also, i tried both USB connection and HDMI out from atem mini to camlink4k. same. no registered frame drops or sutters, but videos are stuttering, therefore it's internal issue with atem mini's hardware. no such stutter are present when i hook up sony a6000 to camlink 4k. also, on camlink, everything looks smoother and better, even with same resolution, same frame rate and same settings. there is something off with atems hardware it seems. also, sutters occour at regular intervals, around 35min mark. EVERY TIME.

only solution is to record it in higher frame rate, let's say 60 and drop it to 30/25/24 latter in post, that seems to slove the issue of stutters by a lot.

as of now, atem's mini switchers are not up for the task and i'm seriously considering contacting them and asking for moneyback. if it doesn't do what's its supposed to do, record without such framerate drops, i don't see a reason to continue using it. and this is a persistent problem that hasn't really been dealt with for how long? almost a year now.

ScottBrian

PostFri Jun 11, 2021 2:56 pm

I just purchased an ATEM Mini and am quite surprised it does not come with the USB-C to USB-A cable. Where can the spec be found for purchasing the appropriate cable - all online sources for these cables generally refer to charging cables and I saw in one post by staff that is not a recommended option. Thanks.

igor vuk

PostThu Feb 10, 2022 11:46 am

Aliexpress has numerous A to C data cables.

as for the laggy video, there is a fix for that, in OBS buffering has to be set to enabled, not auto. that solves the issue. it took me a year to figure that out :?

nekfeu

PostMon Feb 14, 2022 8:26 am

igor vuk wrote:Aliexpress has numerous A to C data cables.

as for the laggy video, there is a fix for that, in OBS buffering has to be set to enabled, not auto. that solves the issue. it took me a year to figure that out :?

Issue with this is that you get your audio to slide and unsync from video progressively

Return to Live Production