Atem Mini: Save Startup State.

Questions about ATEM Switchers, Camera Converter and everything live!
  • Author

Mansel

Atem Mini: Save Startup State.

PostSat Dec 21, 2019 2:39 pm

Hi guys, whilst in the Atem Mini software and imported media to the media locker, when I've finished I've been saving startup state assuming that the media I've used will be still there when I return, BUT NO they are all gone and I have to start again, any tips in what I'm doing wrong guys.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

Re: Atem Mini: Save Startup State.

PostSat Dec 21, 2019 11:07 pm

The ATEM Mini does not have the capability to save the stills.
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Mansel

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 11:46 am

Thanks mate, I'm talking about the Blackmagic Software on the Media page it says under File: Save Startup State. I'm assuming it means I've saved the media files, but when I switch the software back on it ain't there mate, I know the Atem Mini don't save anything.

Xtreemtec

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 2:24 pm

Save Startup State is only for the Atem to save how it starts up after power loss.

So what source is on, How your DVE, green screen, settings etc were set. But not to load the files in the software. ;)
Daniel Wittenaar .:: Xtreemtec Media Productions ::. -= www.xtreemtec.nl =-
4K OBV Trailer, ATEM TVS HD, 4M/E Broadcast Studio 4K, Constelation 8K, Hyperdeck Studio 12G, Ursa Broadcast 4K, 4K fiber converters with Sony Control

Roman Pytkin Pekarek

PostSun Dec 22, 2019 11:45 pm

This capability have ATEM TVS HD for example, that STILLs are saved in ATEM .. After power ON i have my logo on output .. Without any connection ..
http://tally.pytkin.sk
http://chucktv.eu
http://www.stonepp.tv
http://www.media-planet.sk

nikwashere

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 9:40 pm

It says it on the webpage that it stores it on flash drive even when powered off.
then here, someone says it cannot save.
So which is it?
And if not, how do you set it up to auto load every time the software is opened?
Attachments
mini.JPG
mini.JPG (36.31 KiB) Viewed 15687 times

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostThu Mar 19, 2020 11:01 pm

Hello Everyone. The ATEM Mini does not have the capability to save the stills upon power down. At this point only the Television Studio HD, HD Pro and 4K Pro will save media on power down. We will look into correcting any documentation that is incorrect.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

droza_

PostFri Mar 20, 2020 8:34 pm

Gary Adams wrote:Hello Everyone. The ATEM Mini does not have the capability to save the stills upon power down. At this point only the Television Studio HD, HD Pro and 4K Pro will save media on power down. We will look into correcting any documentation that is incorrect.

Regards, Gary

Oh no! This is so disappointing. :cry: I was going to buy a bunch of them just because of this functionality, which is so needed (I was going to combine them with my Atem me2 that are missing this feature).

Please add this to your whole lineup in the next editions.

billou69100

PostFri May 22, 2020 7:38 pm

when will you be able to save the picture for STILLs please

SantenPlu

PostSat Jun 06, 2020 8:10 am

any news on that?

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostMon Jun 08, 2020 3:39 pm

Hello Goran. Which audio settings are you having trouble with saving? All of the switcher settings other than cameras should save with the startup state. After selecting Save the Startup State, wait 15 seconds to make sure the NV RAM is fully written. Unfortunately there is no provision to save the stills.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

MarcusAlzona

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 1:31 am

Gary Adams wrote:Hello Goran. Which audio settings are you having trouble with saving? All of the switcher settings other than cameras should save with the startup state. After selecting Save the Startup State, wait 15 seconds to make sure the NV RAM is fully written. Unfortunately there is no provision to save the stills.

Regards, Gary

I've been producing weekly streams for services, however I am currently unable to recommend a permanent solution for the location due to the fact that if I wasn't there they would need to use a computer every time to manually load the stream title slide into the ATEM Mini Pro's still buffer. I can do it when I'm there, however this isn't the turnkey option it could be if you were just able to save the images.

My suggestion - when the ATEM Mini(Pro) boots, if there is a USB drive plugged in, just check for a "still.jpg/png" and and auto-load it into the switcher's memory. This would solve the problem. (or perhaps if any USB drive is plugged in, auto-load still.jpg)

(more advanced would be some multi-still option, and being able to use a macro to load between them)

Tbaker

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 1:31 pm

Gary Adams wrote:Hello Goran. Which audio settings are you having trouble with saving? All of the switcher settings other than cameras should save with the startup state. After selecting Save the Startup State, wait 15 seconds to make sure the NV RAM is fully written. Unfortunately there is no provision to save the stills.

Regards, Gary

Hi Gary ! Why doesn’t AMP save the camera settings as well? I run a static setup and it’s kind of a pain to have to redo my camera settings to one and copy to others. I also notice my P4K seem to all reboot to 400 iso on startup

Same thing. I have to run around and reset them all. Only take a couple minutes but would be great to jut flip em on and go

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 5:11 pm

While the start up state does not save camera settings you can save these settings to a file and load them upon power up with the software. That will save having to manually set the cameras up.

Regards. Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Tbaker

PostSat Jun 27, 2020 11:52 pm

Gary Adams wrote:While the start up state does not save camera settings you can save these settings to a file and load them upon power up with the software. That will save having to manually set the cameras up.

Regards. Gary

Awesome I’ll look in the manual for the info on that

robinhoodis

PostSun Jun 28, 2020 3:41 am

Is there any way to automate the restore of the config and images to the media player without having to use the software control ?
I would like to run a command or make a curl request or something I can program to load new configs and images from a linux command prompt.

MarcusAlzona

PostMon Jun 29, 2020 3:19 pm

Gary Adams wrote:While the start up state does not save camera settings you can save these settings to a file and load them upon power up with the software. That will save having to manually set the cameras up.

Regards. Gary

Could you please have a still image (still.jpg, or still.png, etc.) load up from any attached USB drive automatically when the ATEM Mini(Pro) boots? Or at least put in a setting option that would allow it to boot and load that image (without using a laptop).

MarcusAlzona

PostThu Jul 02, 2020 12:38 pm

nikwashere wrote:It says it on the webpage that it stores it on flash drive even when powered off.
then here, someone says it cannot save.
So which is it?
And if not, how do you set it up to auto load every time the software is opened?

I'm curious - was this feature originally in there, but later removed from your development roadmap for the initial ATEM Mini Pro release?

(and, hopefully, is it back on the roadmap for a future, hopefully soon, update release? crossing my fingers.....)
:)

plugandfail

PostWed Jul 15, 2020 9:46 pm

Adding a +1 for this feature.

Currently I'm mostly using this device to get around Mac restrictions on signed apps for virtual wallpapers. While Zoom and others have resolved their problems with virtual cameras, its so much easier to chroma key outside of OBS and just have it show up as a UVC camera on a Mac.

My workaround currently, I bought a cheap 'digital signage' HDMI out device that takes an SD card with media on it. You can use the remote control to change images, or have it auto started up to loop a video. I have that on 'camera 2' and use that as the background. So basically, bought an entirely second device to account for two issues:

1. Mini Pro won't save a couple of jpgs and have to be replaced when booted
2. Mino Pro can't load videos from media player (I have a subtle background that has video in it).

While this worked, and you can build a digital signage media thing that works out of a Raspberry Pi for super cheap.. it does seem like something the Mini Pro could do built-in.

I love this device, and think every Twitch and Youtube streamer should have this thing on their desk.. adding in a way to mount files (For me, it would need to be in built-in flash, I need the USB-C port for the UVC function) would be a great step, and.. if there was a way to power it off without unplugging it.. so it's not baking on my desk all night. :P

I haven't tried it, but assuming that you could script the uploads using Ian Morrish's tools, which are Windows Powershell. https://ianmorrish.wordpress.com

scottca

PostSun Aug 09, 2020 5:58 pm

This is not the same ... but an idea/work around.

I added an iPad as the Upstream key on Channel 4. While the media pool is cleared on reset, the iPad comes back online.

I setup a PowerPoint template with a solid green background that plays at 100% - it's a very poor mans, super high quality green screen for lower 3rds, full screen take overs, etc. I also setup ProCreate on the iPad with the same color #0F0 - and with this i can "write on the TV screen".

I know this isn't an answer to the core problem, I really like being able to persist "start up state" w/the media library from attached storage - but i hear Gary saying this isn't possible (at least today).

Chuck Hawks

PostSat Dec 12, 2020 6:28 am

I've recently heard the new firmware for the Mini Pro ISO will retain graphics in the media pool across power cycles but after just upgrading to 8.5.3 that is NOT my experience.

It's been a while in this thread - any update on this?
It's really a PITA and silly to have to connect, and load up to 20 graphics every single time we use this device, should it have been powered off in the mean time - especially if the unit travels to multiple venues, perhaps with multiple operators who may not have a laptop or know how to add stills to the pool.

Consider me another major +1 for this request.
Cheers,
C

Chuck Hawks
Old dog learning new tricks
On-High Media & rEvolution Performance

Mark Foster

PostSat Dec 12, 2020 8:21 am

yes, the pro and ISO will safe the media with the latest firmware (8.5.2)
cMP 5.1 2x3,46/96GB/2x2TB SSD/4x4TB/7101A 4x2TB 970evo+/HP1344/BMD4k/RadeonVII
macOS 12.6.3
BMPCC 6k pro (7.9.1)
meike s35 cine 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 75mm
resolve studio 18.1.4
mini panel
speed editor
desktop video 12.1
intensity pro 4k
atem extreme (8.6.1)

Chuck Hawks

PostSat Dec 12, 2020 5:08 pm

Mark Foster wrote:yes, the pro and ISO will safe the media with the latest firmware (8.5.2)

Um... no, at least mine doesn't.

Is there a setting somewhere that is not obvious/I'm missing? I'm running 8.5.3 and selecting Save Startup and saving the XML file (File/Save As) then power cycling the unit results in an empty media pool on my device & ATEM Software Control.

What am I missing?
Thanks!
Last edited by Chuck Hawks on Fri Jan 08, 2021 5:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,
C

Chuck Hawks

Chuck Hawks

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 5:44 am

Sooooo... No answer from anyone. Hmmm So I suppose no one can tell me that I'm doing anything incorrectly, yet I still have the issue. Disconnect power and the entire media pool disappears / goes back to no files loaded. This is on 8.5.3 and immediately after saving startup state.

This is beyond frustrating and annoying and a problem that really should be fixed.
(Hey BMD - ARE YOU LISTENING?!?)
The owners manual even states that the ATEM Mini Pro (I have an ISO) has internal memory to store the pool between restarts.

I love this switcher, until I have to deal with this... again; then love turns to hate for a while. If it was designed not to hold the pool and the manual said as much, it would be different but right now, this is simply out of integrity and doesn't meet set expectations.
I have to keep a full media pool for what I do and reloading it is, well I said that above...
Cheers,
C

Chuck Hawks

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 6:13 am

Hello Chuck. I’m sorry this doesn’t seem to work for you. When you select Save the startup state in the File menu you should wait 20-30 seconds to let the NVRAM be completely written before removing the power. The media and other settings should be there after a power cycle. If you tried this and it still doesn’t retain the media then I suggest you contact Support in your region for assistance. Stay safe.

Regards. Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

gspam1

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 6:40 am

Chuck, I can confirm that my Mini Pro with the latest software does reload the stills from my last session (after using Save Start-Up State) into the media pool upon power on.

Chuck Hawks

PostFri Jan 08, 2021 4:08 pm

Gary Adams wrote:...If you tried this and it still doesn’t retain the media then I suggest you contact Support in your region for assistance.

gspam1 wrote:Chuck, I can confirm that my Mini Pro with the latest software does reload the stills from my last session (after using Save Start-Up State) into the media pool upon power on.

Thanks for the response and confirmation, guys!
Looks like I'll be contacting support directly, as it doesn't seem to matter how long I wait or what I do, it doesn't retain the stills through a power cycle.
Cheers,
C

Chuck Hawks

RichardJolly

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 5:33 pm

Gary Adams wrote:When you select Save the startup state in the File menu you should wait 20-30 seconds to let the NVRAM be completely written before removing the power. The media and other settings should be there after a power cycle.

Gary, I am correct that Captures from the Programme output are not saved on power down?

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Jan 09, 2021 6:54 pm

They will be saved as well since the are placed in the media pool. The media pool is automatically saved all the time. It is not necessary to do the Save the startup state for the media pool. You can save the media to the computer for loading at a later date using the Save As. Stay safe.

Regards. Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

Chuck Hawks

PostMon Jan 11, 2021 12:15 am

Gary Adams wrote:...The media pool is automatically saved all the time. It is not necessary to do the Save the startup state for the media pool.

Wow, in that case I really should make a support call as that is certainly not happening. LOL
Cheers,
C

Chuck Hawks

rmach66

PostSun Jan 31, 2021 9:18 pm

I just updated our church's ATEM Mini Pro to version 8.5.3, and found that images loaded from the computer into the media pool are indeed saved when the unit is powered off and back on; however images captured from the camera using the "capture still" function do not persist after powering off. Fortunately our camera has a way to capture snapshots which I can download and then load into the ATEM's media pool, so there's a workaround, but from reading this thread it sure seems like something isn't working as intended.

Also, I don't believe there's any way to save media pool images to the computer, which is why I mentioned using the camera's capture capability to work around the problem. If the ATEM can indeed save media pool images to the computer, please describe how that can be done.

Thanks!

-- Roger

Chuck Hawks

PostMon Feb 01, 2021 8:20 pm

Finally... I added another Windows PC to the machines running ATEM Software Control, connecting it to the ATEM Mini Pro ISO via USB (again only prior time was using a MacBook Pro) and forced an update. Even though all other machines connected to it (via Ethernet and USB) have been reporting that 8.5.3 was indeed installed, this time testing a power cycle after running the course again did indeed retain the media pool. Yay!

Perhaps it was a MacBook version of ASC issue?
I'd also attempted updating via Ethernet from several machines in the past and they appeared to go through the motions and reported 8.5.3 all around but no luck with the media pool retention until now.
I don't know what I could have done wrong those other times but if I did, clearly I got it right this time.
It's working now, so I'm happy! :-) No more media pool rebuilds. Ahhhhh... :D
Cheers,
C

Chuck Hawks

rmach66

PostThu Feb 04, 2021 1:57 pm

I need to retract my earlier assertion that captured images (as opposed to loaded images) in the media pool were not persisting across power off events - the next time I powered on our ATEM mini pro, all the images including those that had been captured were there. Perhaps an extra power cycle was needed after performing the firmware upgrade? Regardless, the issue has been resolved.

I would still like to know if there's a way to save individual images from the media pool to the computer.

Thank you!

-- Roger

gmetrail

PostThu Feb 11, 2021 10:28 pm

Gary Adams wrote:They will be saved as well since the are placed in the media pool. The media pool is automatically saved all the time. It is not necessary to do the Save the startup state for the media pool. You can save the media to the computer for loading at a later date using the Save As.

Glad to see that the 8.5.3 update is fixing this for the Pro and the ISO. Any indication of when the 8.5.3 update will also get rolled out to the standard Mini so that this also starts working there? I got mine this week and am using the software version 8.5.3, but the Mini itself is not getting updated beyond 8.5.1.

Thanks for helping a new (almost happy) Mini user ;-)

Gérard

gmetrail

PostFri Feb 19, 2021 7:33 pm

Quick update to my last message. I just updated verion 8.6 on my ATEM Mini, and the media pool is still getting wiped out between power cycles.

Gary Adams

Blackmagic Design

PostSat Feb 20, 2021 12:04 am

Because this is easily confused. The ATEM Mini does not have the necessary hardware to store media upon power cycle. The ATEM Mini Pro, ATEM Mini Pro ISO, and the new ATEM Mini Extreme versions will retain media upon power cycle. Stay safe.

Regards, Gary
Gary Adams
Blackmagic Design

gmetrail

PostThu Mar 04, 2021 6:59 pm

Gary Adams wrote:Because this is easily confused. The ATEM Mini does not have the necessary hardware to store media upon power cycle. The ATEM Mini Pro, ATEM Mini Pro ISO, and the new ATEM Mini Extreme versions will retain media upon power cycle.

Thanks for the info. While not what I wanted to hear, at least I can stop looking.

As I was trying to find a work-around, I was not able to record a macro that adds images from the favourite folder in an automatic way. That would at least partially resolve my problem as I could then simply run the macro when I turn on the ATEM. Am I doing something wrong?

ArtTodesco

PostThu Apr 29, 2021 1:55 pm

My ATEM Mini Pro used to save the media. However, it was off for about 2 weeks. When I turned it on, the media, one still image, was still there. I updated the software, as requested and now it doesn't seem to save that one still image any more. Should I revert to the previous software?

Return to Live Production